Photograph

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Photograph

Equivalent terms

Photograph

Associated terms

Photograph

77 Archival description results for Photograph

77 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Bellerive

Photographs of Bellerive (Kangaroo Bay), taken c1882 photographed by Baily.

James Backhouse Walker

Cascades

Photographs of the Cascades taken c1892 by Beattie photographer.

James Backhouse Walker

Cloddiecochion

Three views, one of burial ground, two of stone cottage [meeting house] at Cloddiecochion, in Montgomeryshire, in North Wales taken October 1950

Collection of photographs

Collection of photographs dated 1899 to 1953

  1. Photograph album of scenes and people taken in South Africa during the Boer War including soldiers on board ship, scenery and settlers, c1899-1902 (also copy prints of 9 photos in album (ticked in album).
  2. Scenes of South Africa reprinted from Natal Mercury, no date c1902-1910.
  3. First Imperial Bushmen (mounted) in Hobart, c1899-1902.
    4-5. Soldiers on board ship, wearing forage caps or helmuts, no date.
  4. Boer War veterans by War Memorial, Hobart, c1948-1952.
    7-8. Boer War veterans by train on way to reunion, 31 May 1952.
  5. Reunion group, Hillwood, 8 March 1953.
  6. Opening R.S.L. Smithton, no date.

Tasmanian South African Returned Soldiers Association

Davey Street and Hampden Road Hobart

Various photographs of Davey St., Hobart and Hampden Road looking towards Davey Street. undated. Photographed by H H Bailey and 1 by Winter

James Backhouse Walker

Elizabeth Street, Hobart

Various photographs of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, looking north and south, taken c1879, 1881 by photographers Anson Bros. and Winter

James Backhouse Walker

Friends' Meeting House, Dolobran

Four photographs dated October 1950, of the Friends Meeting House at Dolobran in Montgomeryshire, Wales. Built in 1701 by Charles Lloyd (1662–1747) of Dolobran, whose father Charles Lloyd (1637–1698) of Dolobran was the first in the family to become a Quaker. It consists of a tiny isolated chapel built of red-brick with drip courses over the cambered windows and comprising also a two-bay cottage under the same roof. Photographs addressed to Hugh Doncaster, Woodbrooke.

Harrington Street Hobart

Various photographs of Harrington Street - St. Marys Cathedral, Wilmot Terrace; Pressland House (formerly J P Cowles School); Goulburn St. ; St John the Baptist Church. Photographs by Winter Baily and Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart and environs

Various photographs of Hobart and Hobart environs taken between 1870 and 1882. Photographed by H. H. Baily, and Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from Huon Road looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from Huon Road looking east in about 1879, according to notes on the reverse.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the top of Murray Street

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from the top of Murray St in about 1876 according to notes on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart looking east toward the river, showing Holy Trinity Church. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918..

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking south

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking south along Barrack Street toward St Georges Hill, Battery Point

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking south east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking South East with a garden in the foreground and Elizabeth Street in the middle distance. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1874-1880.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart streetscape in snow

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a Hobart streetscape in snow - looking towards Mt Nelson and Sandy Bay.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart view

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Hobart viewing over St. Davids Park, probably from Hampden Road, (in about 1878 according to a note on the reverse). The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart view to the east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of an elevated view of Hobart looking east taken near Browne Street, (about 1876, according to a note on the reverse). Warwick Street in the foreground. Photographed by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill, Battery Point. Showing St Georges Church and James Luckman's windmill probably taken in the 1870s.

James Backhouse Walker

Lake St. Clair

Photographs of Lake St. Clair at the southern end of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park. Is part of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area. The Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair area was declared a scenic reserve in 1922, a wildlife reserve in 1927, a national park in 1947 and a world heritage area from 1982.

James Backhouse Walker

Launceston Streetscapes

Photograph of Launceston, Cataract Bridge, Tamar River. Photographers : WA Cawston, Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

Liverpool Street, Hobart

Various photographs of Liverpool Street, Hobart including Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers. Photographed by Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

Maatsuyker Island

Photographs of Maatsuyker Island located 5.5 kilometres off the south coast of Tasmania. The island comprises part of the Southwest National Park and is a Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Site. The Maatsuyker Island Lighthouse, the southernmost Australian lighthouse, is located on the southern tip of the island

James Backhouse Walker

Macquarie Street, Hobart - looking north

Various photographs of Macquarie Street, looking north taken c1877-1893-4. Photographed by Beattie (electric tram car),
Winter, Anson Bros, and H H Baily

James Backhouse Walker

Mount Wellington and surrounds

Photographs of Mt Wellington, Huon Road, Fern Tree Bower, Waterworks. Taken c1870-1882 by photographers Anson Bros., Baily and Albert Sargeant Photographers

James Backhouse Walker

Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill with Hawthorn Cottage in the foreground and Bishopscourt - Garden Crescent and Davey Street Chapel in the background (according to notes on the reverse). The photographer was the Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill in about 1870. The view is from the corner of Albeura St and Sandy Bay Rd. The photographer's name, Woolley, is recorded in a note on the reverse and presumably refers to Charles Alfred.

James Backhouse Walker

Murray Street, Hobart

Various photographs of Murry Street Hobart. Photographed by Anson Bros. and Winter

James Backhouse Walker

New Norfolk

Photographs of the Bush Hotel, River Derwent. Taken c1880-1882. Photographed by Baily and Winter

James Backhouse Walker

Photograph of Braeside from the south west

Photograph of Braeside from the South West, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of doorway at Braeside

Photograph of doorway at Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of front view of Braeside

Photograph of front view of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of front view of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph view of arches at the stables, Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of the Congregational Church

Photograph of the Congregational Church, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960.
Two churches were established at Broadmarsh, an Anglican church, St Augustine's in 1847 and a Congregational church in1861.
Location 1497 Elderslie Road. The Broadmarsh Uniting (Congregational) Church was built in 1861 on land owned by William Gunn, at ‘Arndell’.

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of window at Strathelie

Photograph of window at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Sandy Bay

Photographs of Sandy Bay taken c1870-1882 by Winter photographer.

James Backhouse Walker

Tasman Peninsular & Bruny Island

Undated photographs of Port Arthur, Eaglehawk Neck, Cape Pillar Fluted Cape and Bruny Island. Photographed by Anson Bros., Baily & Beattie .

James Backhouse Walker

View from Mr. Robert's garden, West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking towards the Eastern Shore. The panorama has been taken from Mr. Roberts' garden with various shrubs and a Norfolk Island pine in the foreground. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

View from Mr. Robert's garden, West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking towards the Eastern Shore. The panorama has been taken from Mr. Roberts' garden with various shrubs and a Norfolk Island pine in the foreground. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

View of Hobart from West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart. Looking down Murray & Harrington Streets. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker