Item 136 - Mount Wellington and surrounds

Wood's huts Rocks on  Mount Wellington Dead trees on the side of Huon Road Huts on  Huon Road Huts on  Huon Road under snow Rocks at summit of Mt Wellington People among rocks at summit of Mt Wellington Cart on the road to Mt Wellington Man with a gun on the road to Mt Wellington Track to Fern Tree Bower Track to Fern Tree Bower, Mt Wellington Silver Falls, Fern Tree Bower Fern Tree Bower and Silver Falls, Young lady at Silver Falls, Fern Tree Bower Cook's Monument, Fern Tree Bower Mt Wellington from Huon Road View to Mt Wellington from Huon Road Huon Road with post and rail fence Huon Road with post and rail fence looking to Mt Wellington Side view of Woods Hut, Mt Wellington Group at Woods Huts, Mt Wellington Men standing outside Woods Huts, Mt Wellington Woods Huts, Mt Wellington in the snow Huon Road with Mt Wellington in snow Waterworks off Huon Road Waterworks troughing Waterworks Valley Caretakers house on dam of the reservoir

Identity area

Reference code



Mount Wellington and surrounds


  • c1870-1882 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

30 photographs

Context area

Name of creator


Biographical history

James Backhouse Walker (1841-1899), solicitor and historian, was born on 14 October 1841 in Hobart Town, son of George Washington Walker, shopkeeper, and his wife Sarah Benson, daughter of Robert Mather. Educated at the High School, Government Domain, Hobart, and at the Friends School, York, England, he was first employed as junior clerk in the office of T. D. Chapman and later in his father's Hobart Savings Bank. But in 1872 he took articles and on 7 July 1876 was admitted as barrister, solicitor and proctor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania. Senior partner in the firm J. B. Walker and Wolfhagen he was also an active councillor of the Southern Law Society. From 1877 he was a member of the Tasmanian Club. in 1890 he was appointed member of the first council of the new university, and in 1898 became its second vice-chancellor. Fro more information see :

Name of creator

(1878 -1891)

Administrative history

Anson Brothers (Henry, Richard & Joshua) had photographic studios in Liverpool, Collins, and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891. Joshua Anson was an apprentice of H.H. Bailey

Name of creator


Biographical history

Henry Hall Baily was born in Tasmania but was trained at the London School of Photography in the early 1860s. A professional photographer, he exhibited in both Melbourne and Sydney while continuing to have a practice in Hobart, a practice his son, also called Henry, eventually took over. for more information see

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Photographs of Mt Wellington, Huon Road, Fern Tree Bower, Waterworks. Taken c1870-1882 by photographers Anson Bros., Baily and Albert Sargeant Photographers

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open for research

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact

When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places