Showing 356 results

Archival description
Walker Family Papers
Print preview View:

234 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Account

Account with Temperance Alliance rendered 20 May 1857 in account with Geo. W Walker

George Washington Walker

Ada Walker

Photograph of Ada Walker (nee Giblin, Mrs Ridley Walker) undated. Head and shoulders, elderly lady, spectacles, black gown.

James Backhouse Walker

Affectionate remembrance of Sarah Benson Mather

Mourning card and printed texts for Sarah Benson Mather, second daughter of R. Andrew and Ann Mather, who died in Hobart Town, on the 12th of 3rd month ,1875 aged 28 years and 10 months. Sarah Benson Mather passed away in the early morning, just as the cocks began to crow. The text which heads these verses was deeply impressed on the minds around her.

All Saints Church Macquarie Street

Photograph of All Saints Church, Macquarie Street, Hobart c. 1880 by Anson Brothers, Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Ambrotypes

Unidentified ambrotypes, identity of subjects and photographer unknown

James Backhouse Walker

Austin's Old Inn

Photograph of Austins Ferry, Hobart, Tasmania, with Austin's old Inn to the right. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south in about 1870. The Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House are two of the buildings featured. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Battery Point from Sandy Bay

Photograph of Battery Point from Sandy Bay, Tasmania, with St. Helena, later Wrest Point, in foreground, St Georges Church in the distance, c.1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Bellerive

Photographs of Bellerive (Kangaroo Bay), taken c1882 photographed by Baily.

James Backhouse Walker

Botanic Gardens

Photograph of Botanic Gardens, Hobart, showing wide footpath leading to water, trees and hedge. Glossy print, amateurishly mounted.

James Backhouse Walker

Bothwell township

Photograph of a distant view of Bothwell, Tasmania. Stamped on back "Wilkinson Chemist, Hobart Town), and ms. "Bothwell Township, Tasmania, J B W".

James Backhouse Walker

Burnside

Photograph of "Burnside", rural scene, house in distance.

James Backhouse Walker

Bush Hotel, New Norfolk

Photograph of the Bush Hotel, New Norfolk, Tasmania, 1881. Proprietor at the time was Captain Blockey. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Cabinet Portraits

Collection of cabinet portraits some subjects named. Verso with photographers details

James Backhouse Walker

Campbell & Minchin building

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, corner Elizabeth and Bathurst street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Captain Kelly's house

Lantern slide of Captain Kelly's house, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Carte de visite

Collection of carte-de-visite some subjects named. Verso with photographers details

James Backhouse Walker

Cascade Brewery

Photograph of the Cascade Brewery buildings from behind, Hobart, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose studios were located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Cascades

Photographs of the Cascades taken c1892 by Beattie photographer.

James Backhouse Walker

Cascades' Female Factory

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory looking toward Mt Wellington with the Cascade Brewery in the distance. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Cascades' Female Factory from the hill

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory looking down the South Hobart Valley toward the Derwent River. Showing yards and gardens. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Cascades' Female Factory from the rear

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory from the rear showing yards with washing and horse. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Cataract Bridge and Launceston

Photograph of Launceston, Tasmania from beyond the Cataract Bridge. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Cataract Gorge, Launceston

Photograph of Launceston, Cataract Gorge, with railed walkway, glossy print numbered 35 and stamped D'Emden

James Backhouse Walker

Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Argyle Street looking towards West Hobart, taken around the turn of the century showing Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel in the foreground. Also J. Whiteside & Son Furnishing Warehouse and Canes Iron mongers. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Circular addressed to licenced victuallers

Copy of circular, dated 1855, Hobart Town, addressed to licenced victuallers and others interested in the sale of intoxicating drink advising them of the enclosed petition prepared by the Tasmanian Temperance and Total Abstinence Association to the Legislative Council prohibiting the Sunday traffic in intoxicating liquors.

George Washington Walker

Commandant's house and jetties at Port Arthur

Photograph of the commandant's house and jetties, Port Arthur c. 1880. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Commercial Bank

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street c. 1870. Some of Franklin Square on left Commercial Bank on right. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Commercial Bank

Photograph of the Commercial Bank, Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street in c1877 after old St. Davids Cathedral was pulled down. The photograph is attributed to Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Complaint

Undated complaint by the finance committee of the Hobart Town Total Abstinence Society addressed to Mr J.B. Mather and Mr Geo. Bell, of suffering grievous moral wrong and slander from Geo. W Walker

George Washington Walker

Cook's Monument, Fern Tree Bower

Photographs of Cook's Monument, Fern Tree Bower, Mount Wellington. Memorial stones commemorate Mayor Henry Cook and the Hobart Town Corporation Waterworks erected in 1861.

James Backhouse Walker

Copy of circular addressed to candidates at elections

Copy of circular addressed to candidates at elections. Letter to Arthur Perry (Member of the Legislative Council) dated 5 March 1855 from the committee of the Tasmanian Temperance and Total Abstinence Association bringing to his consideration the very demoralising effect of treating Electors with intoxicating drinks and the vile system of supplying the means of drunkenness and debauchery at elections

George Washington Walker

Correspondence

Personal letters and other documents, letterbooks and business correspondence

George Washington Walker

"Dargavel", Renfrew, Scotland

Photograph of the Kerr's house, "Dargavel", Renfrew, Scotland 1890.
Carte de visite -enclosed in letter Mary Ann Walker to EA Walker dated 9 July 1890

Davey Street and Hampden Road Hobart

Various photographs of Davey St., Hobart and Hampden Road looking towards Davey Street. undated. Photographed by H H Bailey and 1 by Winter

James Backhouse Walker

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Derwent River above New Norfolk

Photograph of the Derwent River above New Norfolk, Tasmania, 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Derwentwater, Sandy Bay

Photograph of Derwentwater, Sandy Bay, Tasmania, home of Captain Langdon Swan, c.1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Diaries

Copies of original diaries covering George W Walker's missionary journey in Australia from 1831-1838.

George Washington Walker

Donation from Bicheno

Document dated Liverpool 1844, George Walker on behalf of the Total Abstinence Society for the donation of a pound towards funds from James Ebenezer Bicheno

George Washington Walker

Eaglehawk Neck

Photograph of Eaglehawk Neck. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Elizabeth Street looking toward Memorial Congregational Church

Photograph of Elizabeth Street Hobart looking north in about 1879. Legrands old shop is on the right and the old post offfice and Ship hotel are also visible according to notes on the reverse of the photo. Also shown is the Tasmanian pale ales store and the All Nations hotelThe photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Elizabeth Street Hobart

Lantern slide of Elizabeth Street, Hobart looking north. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Elizabeth Street, Hobart

Various photographs of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, looking north and south, taken c1879, 1881 by photographers Anson Bros. and Winter

James Backhouse Walker

Family reminiscences

" Whence my Family" - Family reminiscences by James Backhouse Walker (handwritten in block copy, New Testament cover) and compact disc containing scan of original and photographs of the Walker Family ( W9/Ph 153 - blue album)

James Backhouse Walker

Fern Tree Bower and Silver Falls,

Photographs of Silver Falls, Fern Tree Bower, Mount Wellington c.1880 taken by Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins, and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Ferns and waterfall

Photograph of ferns and small waterfall, Hobart. Glossy print, amateurishly mounted.

James Backhouse Walker

Fluted Cape, Adventure Bay

Photograph of Fluted Cape, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, Tasmania. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

Henry Hall Baily

Franklin Square

Photograph of Franklin Square Hobart was taken by the Anson Brothers photographers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Franklin Square and Hobart waterfront

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Franklin Square and the Hobart waterfront taken in about 1870 possibly from St. David's Cathedral according to a note on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

George Washington Walker

Collection consists of correspondence, diaries, accounts and documents relating to personal life and the Society of Friends

George Washington Walker

George Washington Walker

Lantern slide of George Washington Walker (1800-1859). Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Gormanston

Photograph thought to be the town of Gormanston c1885-90

James Backhouse Walker

Government House

Portrait photograph of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

Henry Hall Baily

Government House and St David's Cathedral, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Government House and St David's Cathedral, Van Diemen's Land. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994. Lantern slide of detail from 'The Seat of His Excellency Lieut. Govr. Arthur / drawn from Nature and on Stone' by Charles Atkinson d.1837

John Watt Beattie

Government House from the bay

Photograph of Government House Hobart taken from the bay below the Queen's Domain, c.1890s. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Government House from the Domain

Vignette photograph of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania taken from the Domain in about 1880. Showing gentleman in a bowler hat sitting on mound.

Results 1 to 100 of 356