Sub-series - Hobart Streetscapes & Tasmanian Scenes

Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania, looking south from St. David's Cathedral Photograph of the Oddfellows Hall Photograph of the Oddfellows Hall and Congregational Church Photograph of Davey Street, Hobart, looking west St. John's Church Goulburn Street St. Mary's Cathedral Presslands House Old St. David's Cathedral Old St. David's Cathedral The Tasmanian Club, Macquarie Street, Hobart Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel Macquarie Street, Hobart looking east All Saints Church Macquarie Street St. Joseph's Catholic Church St. Joseph's Catholic Church Macquarie Street, Hobart from Mercury Office Eastern end of Macquarie Street Commercial Bank Commercial Bank Tasmanian Temperance Alliance Photograph of electric tram car St. Joseph's Catholic Church and old St. David's Cathedral Harrington Street  with the Collins Street intersection Public buildings in Macquarie Street Procession approaching corner of Murray and Macquarie Streets Buildings on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets Liverpool Street Hobart Cherry's Carlton Club Hotel Wholesale & Retail Drapery Warehouse Liverpool Street Hobart Liverpool Street Hobart with horse drawn carriages Murray Street with horse drawn carriages Waterloo House Webb's Hotel Murray Street, above Liverpool Street intersection Elizabeth Street  looking toward Memorial Congregational Church Elizabeth Street  outside C. Davis  Importer of English and American Hardware Elizabeth Street  from Collins Street corner Ship Inn Ship Inn Westella Elizabeth Street from Memorial Congregational Church Launceston from Windmill Hill Launceston from beyond Cataract Bridge St. John's Street, Launceston On the banks of the Tamar River Public Buildings  Launceston River Tamar from Cataract Hill Launceston Town Hall Cataract Bridge and Launceston Maatsuyker Lighthouse Big Witch from Maatsuyker Island Kangaroo Bay Kangaroo Bay Mt. Gould & Du Cane Range Wood's huts Rocks on  Mount Wellington Port Arthur church and Penitentiary Port Arthur Penitentiary Port Arthur from behind the church Port Arthur Port Arthur from behind the church and doctor's house Model Prison, Port Arthur Commandant's house and jetties at Port Arthur Cape Pillar, Tasman Peninsula Waterfall Bay to Cape Huay Eaglehawk Neck Fluted Cape, Adventure Bay Cascades' Female Factory Cascades' Female Factory from the hill Cascades' Female Factory from the rear Cascade Brewery Mount Wellington Bush Hotel, New Norfolk Derwent River above New Norfolk Derwent River above New Norfolk Derwent River above New Norfolk New Norfolk New Norfolk View from Government House View from the Botanical Gardens View from the roof of Government House Government House from the Queen's Domain Government House from the bay Government House from the shipyards Government House from the Domain Sullivans Cove, taken from HMS Nelson Sullivans Cove Sullivans Cove and Hunter Island Sullivans Cove from Battery Point Sullivans Cove from the water Franklin Square and Hobart waterfront Franklin Square Statue of Sir John Franklin Ferry S.S. Kangaroo leaving the dock Hobart waterfront Hobart waterfront from Hunter Island Ships and Salamanca warehouses
Results 1 to 100 of 121 Show all

Identity area

Reference code

Title

Hobart Streetscapes & Tasmanian Scenes

Date(s)

  • c1870-1893 (Creation)

Level of description

Sub-series

Extent and medium

black and white photographs

Context area

Name of creator

(1841-1899)

Biographical history

James Backhouse Walker (1841-1899), solicitor and historian, was born on 14 October 1841 in Hobart Town, son of George Washington Walker, shopkeeper, and his wife Sarah Benson, daughter of Robert Mather. Educated at the High School, Government Domain, Hobart, and at the Friends School, York, England, he was first employed as junior clerk in the office of T. D. Chapman and later in his father's Hobart Savings Bank. But in 1872 he took articles and on 7 July 1876 was admitted as barrister, solicitor and proctor of the Supreme Court of Tasmania. Senior partner in the firm J. B. Walker and Wolfhagen he was also an active councillor of the Southern Law Society. From 1877 he was a member of the Tasmanian Club. in 1890 he was appointed member of the first council of the new university, and in 1898 became its second vice-chancellor. Fro more information see : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/walker-james-backhouse-4786

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Various photographs of Hobart and Hobart environs taken by prominent Tasmanian photographers including , Baily, Anson Bros., Winter and Cawston

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open for research

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au

When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places