Collection RS8 - William & John Clark Family Papers

Index to RS8 Clark Family Tree

Identity area

Reference code

AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS8

Title

William & John Clark Family Papers

Date(s)

  • 1812-1887 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

6 type one boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(1769-1851)

Biographical history

William Clark (1769-1851) arrived in Tasmania in 1824 and settled near Bothwell at Cluny, and later acquired other property on the River Jordan at the Hunting Ground, later called Mauriceton. He had formerly served in the British army, was taken prisoner by the French in 1812. In 1821-1823 he served in South Africa but when his regiment was ordered to India he sold his captaincy to retire to Van Diemen's Land, as his health would not stand an Indian campaign. William Clark and his wife Ann (nee Elphinstone) had five sons and two daughters: Thomas Noble (1793-1853), Jane (1795-1873), Ann (1797-1868), William (1799-1825), George (1801-1827), Charles (1803-1833), John (1807-1852). Four of the sons followed their father into the army. William jr. and his wife Isabella (daughter of Thomas Berdmore) both died of yellow fever in Jamaica in 1825 leaving an infant son, William Sydney, who also died before he could be brought back to his Berdmore grandparents. George died in India at the age of 26 in 1827 and Charles was drowned in October 1833 in the Wreck of the "Lady Munro" on this way from India to join his parents in Tasmania.

Name of creator

(1807-1853)

Biographical history

John Clark (1807-1853) , the youngest son of William Clark (1769-1851), came with his father to Tasmania and was Keeper of the Bonded Store in Launceston, Coast Waiter and Searcher at George Town and Police Magistrate at Hobart, Launceston, George Town and later Bothwell
He returned to take over the management of Cluny in 1838. He married Jane Oswald Sinclair Eddie in 1839 but had no children. He lived at 'Mauriceton', near Kempton.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The William and John Clark Papers are a record of a settler family in Tasmania. They include papers concerning the management of the Cluny property, a few papers relating to Bothwell and John Clark's correspondence concerning his work as a magistrate. There are also letters to John Clark from William Barnes (1791 ?-1848). brewer of Launceston, 1829-1839; Matthew Curling Friend of Newnham, Port Officer
at George Town, 1833-1841, and from Charles Arthur (1808-1884), nephew of and Aide-de-Camp to Lt.
Governor George Arthur, 1827-1829. There are also letters from British army officers' wives and daughters addressed to Jane Clark. Also included are papers relating to the Weston Family, Ann (neeClark) and William Pritchard Weston

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

HE Apr.2020

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres