William Clark

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

William Clark

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



William Clark (1769-1851) arrived in Tasmania in 1824 and settled near Bothwell at Cluny, and later acquired other property on the River Jordan at the Hunting Ground, later called Mauriceton. He had formerly served in the British army, was taken prisoner by the French in 1812. In 1821-1823 he served in South Africa but when his regiment was ordered to India he sold his captaincy to retire to Van Diemen's Land, as his health would not stand an Indian campaign. William Clark and his wife Ann (nee Elphinstone) had five sons and two daughters: Thomas Noble (1793-1853), Jane (1795-1873), Ann (1797-1868), William (1799-1825), George (1801-1827), Charles (1803-1833), John (1807-1852). Four of the sons followed their father into the army. William jr. and his wife Isabella (daughter of Thomas Berdmore) both died of yellow fever in Jamaica in 1825 leaving an infant son, William Sydney, who also died before he could be brought back to his Berdmore grandparents. George died in India at the age of 26 in 1827 and Charles was drowned in October 1833 in the Wreck of the "Lady Munro" on this way from India to join his parents in Tasmania.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places