Collection UT387 - University Centenary Committee : films

Identity area

Reference code



University Centenary Committee : films


  • 1959-1977 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

28 cans 16 mm films

Context area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Founded in 1890, the University of Tasmania has a rich and proud history which was celebrated in 2015, as part of our 125th anniversary. We're the fourth oldest university in Australia and this vintage earns us the prestigious title of a sandstone university; one of the nation's oldest tertiary institutions. For more information see;

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Deposited in University Archives by the Centenary Committee via David Davies (Physics) 12 Dec. 1983. Additional item (27) received from David Davies (from Clinical School Photographer) Sept. 1990 Editor-Viewer on permanent loan from Photography

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Films of University buildings and activities made at various times and held by Photographic Section or Academic Departments and donated to the Centenary Committee for the Centenary history. Some films include items from news reels
donated by the A.B .C. Some show the progress of building work on the Sandy Bay site and the opening ceremonies. The dates of occupation of University buildings were: V.C.'s Lodge December 1958; Union March 1959 (building done in stages); Hytten Hall March 1959; Engineering workshops March 1959 and main building August 1960; Library February 1961; Chemistry February 1961; Arts July 1962; Geology & Geography November 1962; Life Sciences building work began 1963. The temporary Administration building, later converted to Staff Flats, was first occupied in March 1957. The transfer of departments from the Domain was completed in November 1962. The removal of the temporary huts at Sandy Bay was begun December 1962 when the Geology huts were sold (see Gazette May 1959, June 1962, Annual Report 1962,1966). An opening ceremony was held on 16 May 1959 when the Premier, Hon. Eric E. Reece, officially opened the Union, the Engineering Laboratory block and Hytten Hall. The ceremony commenced in the Engineering building at 3pm. On 31 March 1962 His Excellency the Governor of Tasmanian, Lord Rowallan, opened the Chemistry and Library buildings, followed by tea in the Union.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact

When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places