Index to UT387 - University Centenary Committee : films
Showing 2 resultsArchival description
University Centenary Committee : films
- AU TAS UTAS SPARC UT387
Films of University buildings and activities made at various times and held by Photographic Section or Academic Departments and donated to the Centenary Committee for the Centenary history. Some films include items from news reels
donated by the A.B .C. Some show the progress of building work on the Sandy Bay site and the opening ceremonies. The dates of occupation of University buildings were: V.C.'s Lodge December 1958; Union March 1959 (building done in stages); Hytten Hall March 1959; Engineering workshops March 1959 and main building August 1960; Library February 1961; Chemistry February 1961; Arts July 1962; Geology & Geography November 1962; Life Sciences building work began 1963. The temporary Administration building, later converted to Staff Flats, was first occupied in March 1957. The transfer of departments from the Domain was completed in November 1962. The removal of the temporary huts at Sandy Bay was begun December 1962 when the Geology huts were sold (see Gazette May 1959, June 1962, Annual Report 1962,1966). An opening ceremony was held on 16 May 1959 when the Premier, Hon. Eric E. Reece, officially opened the Union, the Engineering Laboratory block and Hytten Hall. The ceremony commenced in the Engineering building at 3pm. On 31 March 1962 His Excellency the Governor of Tasmanian, Lord Rowallan, opened the Chemistry and Library buildings, followed by tea in the Union.
University of Tasmania