University of Tasmania -- History

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

University of Tasmania -- History

Equivalent terms

University of Tasmania -- History

Associated terms

University of Tasmania -- History

143 Archival description results for University of Tasmania -- History

143 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

1947 Orientation Handbook

Pages from the Handbook that detail the site plan and floor plan of Domain House, University of Tasmania. As published in the 1947 University Orientation Handbook.

Tasmania University Union

1949 Orientation Handbook

Pages from the Handbook that detail the site plan and floor plan of Domain House, University of Tasmania. As published in the 1949 University Orientation Handbook. Key to buildings and rooms provided by Peter Freeman, Heritage Architect

Tasmania University Union

25 June 1890 to 23 April 1959: University of Tasmania Roll Book of Graduates

List University of Tasmania graduates conferred since the university's formation in 1890 to 23 April 1959 In the first few decades it also includes graduates from other universities in the Empire whose degrees were conferred at the University of Tasmania as ad eundem gradum degrees. The first graduates were conferred on 25 June 1890.

University of Tasmania

A School Geometry

Hall, H. S., & Stevens, F. H. (1930). A School Geometry. Parts IV., V. and VI. Macmillan & Co: London.

Ronald Turner Ralph

Alexander McAulay

Appointment Indenture for Alexander McAulay, dated 1892 - 1913. Lecturer in Mathematics (1892 & draft); Professor of Mathematics and Physics (1904, 3 copies); Professor of Mathematics (1913, 2 copies).

University of Tasmania

Annual Commemoration 1896

Photographic except taken from the Tasmanian Mail, 16 January 1897 showing graduating students : Mr W.A. Roberts (LLB), Mr W.J.T. Stops (LLB), Mr Herbert Nicholls (LLB), Mr J.H. Keating (LLB), Miss E.H Wilson, first lady graduate (BA) and Lieutenant -Colonel Cruickshank, Registrar

University of Tasmania

Annual Report of the High School of Hobart Town

High School of Hobart Town report on the 1859 annual examinations, with copies of examination papers, and list of council and masters. Drawing of building at front. Printed pamphlet J. Davies 'Mercury' office.

High School of Hobart Town

Appointment Indentures Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC UT26
  • Collection
  • 1892-1932

Appointment Indentures for early University of Tasmania lecturers, 1892-1932, including some correspondence.

University of Tasmania

Australian Universities rifle match

Group photograph of Australian Universities rifle match, Hobart 1934. Tasmanian team and emergencies. Named : D.G. Rockliff, J.J. Graham, P.C. Tapping, T.L. Malone, H.M Nicholls, M.M. Bruce, D.J. Barclay, M.W. Woods (Captain), S.M. Seares, and J.A. Jillett

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Box 1

Twelve black notebooks dated between 1939 and 1941. Notes for the subjects of Physics, Pure Mathematics and Radio

Ronald Turner Ralph

Box 2

Handwritten notes for assignments, exams and classwork for Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering

Ronald Turner Ralph

Box 5

Collection of Uni Review programs, miscellaneous study materials, applications and correspondence and photographs

Ronald Turner Ralph

Christ College Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC UA17
  • Collection
  • 1840-1947

Collection cosists of material relating to the foundation of the college, reports, accounts, students activities and the library.

University of Tasmania

College Prospectus and Library Catalogue

College Prospectus, printed by Elliston, Collins Street, Hobart Town and dated 1848. Includes note of nature and advantages of a college, steps taken by Bishop, subscribers, trustees, Hutchins & Launceston Church Grammar schools, scholarships, Franklin Museum; Also bound into this volume is the Catalogue of the Christ's College Library, in the Diocese of Tasmania parts one & two.
Pat one lists books by subject, part two list books by author.

University of Tasmania

Congratulatory Addresses

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC UT519
  • Collection
  • 1990

Congratulatory Addresses for the University's Centenary in 1990, mostly illuminated and mounted, from universities in Australia and New Zealand and also from the Association of Commonwealth Universities and the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.

University of Tasmania

Domain House Staff

Black and white, 35mm slide of teaching staff at Domain House, Hobart, Tasmania. Centre back Dugald Gordon McDougall, appointed as the Professor of Law and Modern History in the University of Tasmania and took up the appointment in the year 1901 (January); he held the post until June 1933 when, at an age of 65, he retired.

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2
  • Collection
  • 1827-03-26

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson made by his Excellency Colonel George Arthur Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land on the 26th day of March 1827. Subject to the payment of a yearly quit-rent of two pounds payable on the 31st day of January each year.
Joshua Fergusson was a merchant captain who arrived in Van Diemens Land in 1815 and made a number of trading voyages. He became the owner of the brig Jupiter and obtained substantial land grants around southern Tasmania. He died in 1867 at his farm at Tinderbox where he grew tobacco.
31 Campbell Street is the site of the University of Tasmania's project for a vision for the state as a leader in the digital, creative and performing arts. This vision includes the construction of a major creative industries and performing arts development, 'The Hedberg', adjoining Hobart's historic Theatre Royal on the 'Wapping 4' site.The University of Tasmania opened at the Hedberg in Semester 1, 2020 after almost 10 years in conception, consultation, planning and construction stages. The project was led by Tasmanian firm Liminal Architecture and designed in collaboration with WOHA and Arup.

The building’s opalescent sparkle is inspired by a Tasmanian abalone shell and is just one of many features of the building that honours local landscape and heritage. Appropriately dramatic, the building’s exterior shimmers in sunshine and is more moody under cloud cover, its crinkled "curtains" either side of each window pulled back to denote the opening of a performance.

The significance of the Hedberg site in the heart of Wapping dates to the 1830s, when it was a lively convergence of working-class homes, industry and entertainment. Archaeological work was undertaken in consultation with the Tasmanian Heritage Council, and results from the archaeological investigation informed aspects of the design.

The heritage-listed facade of the Hedberg Brothers Garage on Collins Street is the University of Tasmania entrance at the Hedberg. Built in 1925, it has intrinsic heritage value as an early, unusual and important example of its type.

Colonial Secretary, Van Diemen's Land

Group at the Springs

Group photograph of team members and others taken at the Springs, Mt. Wellington, Hobart during the 1934 Australian Universities Rifle Match

McDonell Watkyn Woods

High School of Hobart Town : ledger book

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX11
  • Collection
  • 1850-51

Leather bound folio ledger book dated 1850-1851. Accounts for tuition, textbooks (sometimes named), stationery and extras, each account headed by the name of the parent noting place of residence and whether a shareholder. At the back of the volume are quarterly abstracts of accounts and accounts of fees for evening classes in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy including a list of names of those attending

John Lillie

History of the University of Tasmania Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC UT352
  • Collection
  • 1885-1973

Documents and extracts relating to the history of the University of Tasmania, complied for the Centenary Committee.

University of Tasmania

Inter-varsity rifle match

Group photograph of Inter-varsity rifle match, Liverpool, New South Wales. Named and signed. P.C. Tapping, D.J. Barclay, D.E. Webster, M.W. Woods ( Vice Captain), D.G. Rockliff, B.B. Smith, J.A. Jillett (Captain) and S.M. Seares.

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Interview Mr Ralph Harry

Interview with Mr Ralph Harry, law student at UTAS. He graduated with first class honours in 1938. He was awarded a Rhodes scholarship and studied at Oxford. He was involed in Togatus and the Student Christian Movement. This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Ralph Lindsay Harry

Interview with Mrs Barbara Ostberg

Interview with Mrs Barbara Ostberg, science student, 1938-1941. This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Interview with Mrs Margaret Scott

Interview with Mrs Margaret Scott. This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Interview with Professor Colin Wendell Smith

Interview with Professor Colin Wendell Smith.This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Colin Wendell Smith

Letters Patent of the University of Tasmania

Parchment document bound with green ribbon and sealed with red wax. Letters Patent of King George V granting recognition throughout the Kingdom, empire and Dominions of degrees conferred by the University of Tasmania in Arts, Science, Law, Medicine, Music and all branches of knowledge except Theology

University of Tasmania

Library promotional video

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC UT558
  • Collection
  • 1981

Consists of one Library promotional video made in 1981, VHS cassette recording, 6.5 minutes. Script by Mary Howard and Peter Cohen, narrated by Meg Taylor, camera work by Michael Knott, Ross James and Eve Pettit, technical director Brian Rieusset, programme director Eve Pettit. Originally recorded on Umatic cassette for continuous playing over 1 hour, copied on to VHS by Brian Rieusset July, 1993, for University Archives (two showings over 15 minutes). Reformated to DVD in 2017. Includes typed copy of script.

University of Tasmania Library

Library Staff 1956

One small black and white photograph of Library staff taken outside the entrance to Domain House, Christmas 1956.

University of Tasmania

Library workroom

One small black and white photograph of Library workroom at Domain House taken in November 1960. Staff identified as M. McClymont, Dr. Wojtowitz, Mr S. Flood

University of Tasmania

Library workroom

One small black and white photograph of Library workroom at Domain House taken in November 1960. Staff identified as J. Reynolds

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Fire place and mantel on rear wall.

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Honour board on wall.

University of Tasmania

McDonell Watkyn Woods Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC UT367
  • Collection
  • 1930-1934

A collection of photographs and memorabilia regarding the Tasmanian University Rifle Club and Student Union functions

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Photograph of Christ's College, (High School building) Domain

Sepia photograph of a group of boys and masters outside the college door, including small boys, some in sailor suits holding straw "boater" hats.
Photo by Wherrett & McGuffie, mounted.
Some names written on back, including Alic Cruickshank, Cyril James, A Murray, B. Hunt (master), Max Stephens, Reynolds, Gosnell (master), R. Stourton, Lilley.

Photographs of rifle teams

Group photographs of T.U.R.C. teams: Inver-varsity match at Adelaide 1930, Tasmanian and Sydney teams at the Australian Universities match Melbourne 1932, Hobart and Suburban Cup (T.U.R.C. winners) 1933, Inter-varsity 1933, Australian Universities match 1934 (2 photos, one with winners’ shield), group at Springs 1934. Photos mounted, named and signed.

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Plastics

Yarsley, V.E & Couzens. (1941). E.G. Plastics. London: Penguin Books.

Ronald Turner Ralph

Professors and candidates for degrees 1923

Photographic except taken from the Illustrated Tasmanian Mail, 19 April, 1923 - Photographs of Professors and candidates for degrees 1923. Professor Williams, Professor McAulay, Professor Dunbabin, Professor McDougall, Professor Copland, Professor Flynn, Professor Burn. Students Mr. C. K. Wilkins, (B.A.), Miss Erica G. Headlam, (M.A.), Mr. W. Parker Listner, (M.A.) 1919, (LL.B) 1923, Mr. B. Telford, (LL.B.), Mr. G. L. Doyle, (LL.B.), Mr. H. Guy, (LL.B.) Miss A. M. Wherrett, (B.A.) Miss B. J. Miller, (B.A.)
Miss B. White-Parsons, (B.A.) Mr. H. G. Harris, (B.A.) Mr. D. G. Salier, (B.Sc) Mr, L. F. Briggs, (B.A.) Mr. M. E .W. Stump, (B.Sc.) Miss J. L. Hurst, (B.A), Mr. T. Hytten, (B.A.) Mr. Bryan W. S. Page, (B.Sc.)

University of Tasmania

Programmes and Menus

T.U.U. (mock) Commemoration programmes 1932,1933, and menus for Inter-varsity Athletics 1931, and dinner for A.V. Davern 1934 (Sydney Uni lecturer, married c1930, died 1954, information from grandson, M. Davern).

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Recipients of Degrees at Commemoration

Photographic except taken from the Illustrated Tasmanian Mail, 22 May, 1929 - Recipients of University of Tasmania Degrees at Commemoration, Mr A.K. Fulton (B.A), Mr T. Hytten (MA), Miss F. Stops (B.A), Mr D.S. Smith (B.E), Miss Y.I. Guilbert (B.A), Mr O.H. Biggs (B.Sc)

University of Tasmania

Registrar, James Henry Robert Cruickshank and his wife Mary

Black and white, 35mm slide of the University of Tasmania's Registrar, James Henry Robrert Cruickshank and his wife Mary.
Cruickshank was born on 24 May 1840 in Bombay, and he died on 26 January 1916 m Hobart. Cruickshank received his first commission in 1858, and served in the Bombay Presidency until he retired in 1885 when he immigrated to Tasmania, as one of the 'Non-Effective Officers . Cruickshank and his family arrived in Launceston on the Flinders on 15 May 1885.36 He was appointed Registrar of the University of Tasmania in succession to George Richardson on the 1 August 1892, and he held this post until his death on 26 January 1916. Cruickshank was given a land grant of 100 acres in the Parish of Wickham in the County of King Island on 13 June 1885 but he did not settle there. He had married Mary Emma Wright in 1865 in Bombay. Mary Emma was born on 24 May 1846 in Rochester Kent, and she died on 17 October 1940 at 'Burnside' Glenorchy Tasmania. The couple had nine children, the youngest of whom was Margaret Winifred Cruickshank. Margaret was born on 12 July 1888 in Hobart, and she died on 4 March 1980 in Hobart. She was married to Percy Hamilton Scott in 1922 in Hobart. Two years before her death Margaret was interviewed by John Roberts, as part of the University of Tasmania oral history recording program. Margaret told of her early life in the 1900s as the daughter of the Registrar of the new university. Her reminiscences are particularly valuable, as they provide a rare window into the early life of the university: interview available here https://sparc.utas.edu.au/index.php/interview-with-mrs-margaret-scott

Robert Leslie Dunbabin

Appointment Indenture for Robert Leslie Dunbabin, Indenture and amendments: Lecturer in English & Constitutional History, Latin
Greek (1904); English and Constitutional History, Latin & Greek and Mental & Moral Science (1906); History, Latin, Greek, Logic & Psychology (1907); Lecturer in Classics and English History (1913); Assistant Professor of Classics (1914); Professor of Classics (1917).

University of Tasmania

Ronald Turner Ralph Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC R14
  • Collection
  • 1941-1948

Collection consists of material related to Ronald Turner Ralphs time at the University of Tasmania during the 1940's studying Civil Engineering. Included are text books, note books and Uni Revue programs and issues of Togatus relating to the reviews.

Ronald Turner Ralph

Sarah Dunbabin

Black and white 35mm slides of Sarah Dunbabin an early graduate of the University of Tasmania. B.A. March 1909 & M.A. April 1912. One of 11 chidren of Thomas Dunbabin, farmer, and his wife Sarah Ada, née Murdoch of Marchwiel, Bream Creek. Prior to entering university she won prizes for English, Latin, History & German and a scholarship to the University.

Results 1 to 100 of 143