Collection 2017/2 - Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson

Open original Digital object

Identity area

Reference code

AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2

Title

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson

Date(s)

  • 1827-03-26 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

Name of creator

(1790-1867)

Biographical history

Joshua Fergusson born 1790 in Ballymoyer, County Armagh, Ireland and died 16 Dec 1867 at Tinder Box Bay, Tasmania. He is credited with naming the bay after finding a tinderbox on the beach soon after he settled there in 1817. He was a merchant captain who arrived in Van Diemens Land in 1815 and made a number of trading voyages. He became the owner of the brig Jupiter and obtained substantial land grants around southern Tasmania. He died in 1867 at his farm at Tinderbox where he grew tobacco.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson made by his Excellency Colonel George Arthur Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land on the 26th day of March 1827. Subject to the payment of a yearly quit-rent of two pounds payable on the 31st day of January each year.
31 Campbell Street is the site of the University of Tasmania's major creative industries and performing arts development, 'The Hedberg', adjoining Hobart's historic Theatre Royal on the 'Wapping 4' site. The University of Tasmania opened at the Hedberg in Semester 1, 2020 after almost 10 years in conception, consultation, planning and construction stages. The project was led by Tasmanian firm Liminal Architecture and designed in collaboration with WOHA and Arup.
The significance of the Hedberg site in the heart of Wapping dates to the 1830s, when it was a lively convergence of working-class homes, industry and entertainment. Archaeological work was undertaken in consultation with the Tasmanian Heritage Council, and results from the archaeological investigation informed aspects of the design.
The heritage-listed facade of the Hedberg Brothers Garage on Collins Street is the University of Tasmania entrance at the Hedberg. Built in 1925, it has intrinsic heritage value as an early, unusual and important example of its type.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

good

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area