Showing 1380 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections With digital objects
Print preview View:

Extracts of officers' logs: part 1

Extracts of the officers' logs of the French naval vessel Mascarin's voyage of exploration led by Captain Nicholas Marion Du Fresne -Tasmanian part of voyage, March 1772.
'Journal du voyage fait sur le vaisseau du Roy Le Mascarin, commande par Mr. Marion, Chevalier de l'Ordre Royal et Militaire de st.
Louis, Capitaine de Brulot, accompagne de la Flutte Le Margqis de Castries, pour faire le voyage de l'Isle Taity ou de Cythere, en faissant la decouverte des terrae Australae passant a la Nouvelle Hollande, a la Nouvelle Zelande etc.

Photographs of Archives Nationales, C 7 197, pp. 1, 7-14;

Marc-Joseph Marion Dufresne

Extracts of officers' logs: part 2

Extracts of the officers' logs of the French naval vessel Mascarin's voyage of exploration led by Captain Nicholas Marion Du Fresne -Tasmanian part of voyage, March 1772.
'Journal du voyage fait sur le vaisseau du Roy Le Mascarin, commande par Mr. Marion, Chevalier de l'Ordre Royal et Militaire de st.
Louis, Capitaine de Brulot, accompagne de la Flutte Le Margqis de Castries, pour faire le voyage de l'Isle Taity ou de Cythere, en faissant la decouverte des terrae Australae passant a la Nouvelle Hollande, a la Nouvelle Zelande etc.

Photographs of Archives Nationales, Marine 4 JJ, 192, no. 19, pp. 1, 12-18

Marc-Joseph Marion Dufresne

Knopwood Sermons

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC K1
  • Collection
  • 1801-1829

Manuscripts of sermons preached by Rev. Knopwood in Tasmania dated 1801 - 1829

Robert Knopwood

Leake Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L1
  • Collection
  • 1801-1932

Collection consists of some of the papers of John Leake (1780-1865) of Rosedale, near Campbell Town, pastoralist, justice of the peace, member of the Legislative Council and a former merchant of Hull and Hamburg, who settled with his family near Campbell Town, Tasmania, in 1823, and of his family, including his youngest son Charles Henry Leake (1819-1889) whose heirs inherited Rosedale.

John Leake

On the love of our country

Manuscript of sermon preached by Rev. Knopwood entitles "On the love of our country"
Preached before the Honble Allen Hyde Gardner Cap HM ship Resolution of [illegible] – June 1801, Camp Sullivan Cove Van Diemen’s Land May 13 - 1804
137 Psalm – 5 verse If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning.

Robert Knopwood

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern Slide of plan of early Hobart Town, from a survey done in 1804-1805, showing later alterations. The plan also appears in James Backhouse Walker's paper 'The Founding of Hobart, by Lieut.-Governor Collins' read to the Royal Society of Tasmania 14/10/1889. In this he describes the plan, "I am indebted to my friend Mr. Mault for a beautifully executed plan, which shows very clearly the original features of the ground, and the position of the first camp, and also indicates the alterations which have since taken place. It is taken from a survey made by Surveyor-General Harris in 1804-5. The original plan was discovered many years ago in the Lands Office at Sydney, and was presented by the New South Wales Government to our Lands Department. The Deputy- Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. Albert Reid, kindly presented me with a tracing of it."
Lantern slide thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Andrew Gatenby : Militia substitute certificate

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC G7
  • Collection
  • 1814

Militia substitute certificate dated December 1814. Certificate of enrolment of substitute to serve in place of A. Gatenby, Appleton le Moors, North Riding of Yorkshire, namely Robert Graystock, wheelwright. Until the 19th century militia units were used in home defence and maintaining law and order in vulnerable locations such as Ireland and the south coast of England. Militia units did not have to serve overseas, but they were seen as a useful reserve of trained men. Bounties were offered to militiamen who exchanged into the regular Army for overseas service.
Many of the men serving in the militia were substitutes serving on behalf of those whose names had been drawn in the county ballot. These substitutes often made a charge for taking over the duties. When the militia was fully embodied on a permanent footing during periods of war, a higher figure could be demanded and obtained. The regiment benefited by receiving experienced soldiers instead of raw recruits.

.

Andrew Gatenby

Andrew Downie Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC D2
  • Collection
  • 1814-1879

Collection consists of mainly financial papers. Includes indenture, correspondence, sheep & wool business papers, bills & accounts

Andrew Downie

Hobart Town Gazette

Lantern slide of front page of the Hobart Town Gazette, June 1816. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Funeral of Princess Charlotte

Manuscript of sermon preached by Rev. Knopwood entitled "Funeral sermon on H.R.H the Princess Charlotte of Wales"

Robert Knopwood

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1817

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, in February, 1817. Inscribed with the words 'Hobart Town in 1817. Drawn by Lieut. Charles Jeffreys' - also shows the Government schooner the Kangaroo , church, Government House and Fort.

Charles Jeffreys

Letter of appointment :September 1818

Draft of letter dated 24 September 1818 from John Terry, late of Redmire Mill, appointing his brother Ralph to receive money due on Lord Bolton's estate, with list of money laid out in expenses by John Terry 1809-1811. Note added in pencil of dates of birth of some members of the family, 1710-1878.

John Terry

Bills : June 1818

True copy of 2 bills for £100 each delivered to his brother Ralph Terry, now residing at Forcett Mill, by John Terry. True copy dated 6 June 1818 signed John Terry & Ralph Terry

John Terry

Account : October 1819

Account including various bills totalling ?1211.17.3, settling all demands between Samuel Terry and John Terry and signed by both parties. Dated 21 October 1819.

John Terry

Death of George III

Manuscript of sermon preached by Rev. Knopwood entitled "A sermon on the occasion of the death of his late majesty George the Third of blessed memory, preached at Hobart Town V.D. Land on Sunday the 17th September 1820"

Robert Knopwood

Accounts of money due & draft letter

Double page from a volume, containing:
a) Accounts of money due from John Terry to Samuel Terry for expenses while in N.S.W., including 10,000 shingles £6.13.4, wheat, meat, wine glasses, tea, boots, 5 yards gingham, boat hire, 'cash going to Parramatta 10 s', 'cash lent at Chapel 1 s'. 1819

(Note: Samuel Terry, a wealthy trader and property owner of N.S.W. (originally transported 1801 from Salford, Lancashire, England, does not appear to have been related to John Terry).

and
b) Draft of letter c1820, probably written by John Terry to his brother in England, gives his reason for leaving Port Jackson and coming to Van Diemen's Land - they could only have a twenty one year lease of their wind-mill at Sydney. He describes his property, mill, forge, stock yard, etc. close by the Derwent, 21 miles from Hobart, and a further 1400 acres 10 miles up the River which included good pasture.

John Terry

A "condemned" sermon

Manuscript of sermon preached by Rev. Knopwood entitled “ A Condemned Sermon, Repentance and Conversion” 27th April 1821

Robert Knopwood

Dr George Fordyce Story Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C7
  • Collection
  • 1821-1878

Collection consists of personal papers, medical case notes and accounts, student notes and exercises, botanical papers which include some correspondence with Baron Sir Ferdinand von Mueller, copies of electoral returns etc.

George Fordyce Story

Robert & Ann Mather Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M10
  • Collection
  • 1821-1835

Papers relating to the voyage out and settlement of Robert Mather and his wife, Ann (Benson). Many of the papers (Ml0/16-20) consist of extracts from letters from Ann Mather to her brother, Rev. Samuel Benson, and sisters Isabella Whytall and Sarah Benson (m. Hammond 1832), in UK and were probably given to their niece, Sarah Benson Mather who married George Washington Walker in 1840, after Ann Mather's death in 1831.

Robert Mather

Risby Brothers Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC R2
  • Collection
  • 1823-1910

Collection consists of personal diaries and photographs relating to Risby Brothers, sawmillers and timber merchants

Thomas Risby

William Sorell : Journal

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC S17
  • Collection
  • 1823-1825

Collection consists of type written transcript of original diary of William Sorell Jnr. for the years 1823-1825.
In his journal Sorell made brief daily entries of his voyage out, his reception at Government House, the arrival of Lt. Governor Arthur, his new post as Registrar of the Supreme Court. The entries are brief but of particular interest are his references to the arrival of ships and his meeting officers and other people of note landing at Hobart. He makes occasional references to his work and cases in court and to Judge Pedder and his wife. Apart from his work Sorell's chief activities, as noted, were riding, walking, reading and dining with 'friends and officers of the Barracks and Convict Department. He attended church regularly on Sunday and mentions the arrival of an organ subscribed for by the in habitants (13, 14 April 1825). He took occasional shooting trips, mainly to the Coal River (Richmond). Most of the entries are, however, brief and lacking in detail or descriptive accounts as may be illustrated by his reference to a proposal to transfer the capital to Brighton: 'Meeting at Government House. Removal to Brighton in a large Meeting. I attended. I think the Lt. Governor has made up his mind upon the removal.' (19 May 1825)
Transcript of original diary of William Sorell Jnr. made by L. Rodda and P.S. King. ( 83 pages) Photocopy only now held. Also a typed name index to diary to diary - on catalogue cards made by L. Rodda.

William Sorell

Sheep stealing cases

Subpoena and notes of expense in case of sheep stolen from Thomas Wells when Downie was acting for John Raisley of Kimbolton Park, Hamilton. Also note relating rumours of sheep stealing 1826.

Andrew Downie

Diaries of Jorgen Jorgensen

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M11-3-2
  • Sub-item
  • 1826-1827
  • Part of Meston Papers

Copies of diaries of Jorgen Jorgensen, including Journey to Ouse Plateau, Repat of Jorgensen to V.D.L. Co. on route between Hobart and Circular Head, and Journal kept while exploring from Circular Head to the Pieman River, 1826-7.

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2
  • Collection
  • 1827-03-26

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson made by his Excellency Colonel George Arthur Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land on the 26th day of March 1827. Subject to the payment of a yearly quit-rent of two pounds payable on the 31st day of January each year.
31 Campbell Street is the site of the University of Tasmania's major creative industries and performing arts development, 'The Hedberg', adjoining Hobart's historic Theatre Royal on the 'Wapping 4' site. The University of Tasmania opened at the Hedberg in Semester 1, 2020 after almost 10 years in conception, consultation, planning and construction stages. The project was led by Tasmanian firm Liminal Architecture and designed in collaboration with WOHA and Arup.
The significance of the Hedberg site in the heart of Wapping dates to the 1830s, when it was a lively convergence of working-class homes, industry and entertainment. Archaeological work was undertaken in consultation with the Tasmanian Heritage Council, and results from the archaeological investigation informed aspects of the design.
The heritage-listed facade of the Hedberg Brothers Garage on Collins Street is the University of Tasmania entrance at the Hedberg. Built in 1925, it has intrinsic heritage value as an early, unusual and important example of its type.

Colonial Secretary, Van Diemen's Land

The state of the departed

Manuscript of sermon preached by Rev. Knopwood entitles "The state of the departed", 6th December 1829

Robert Knopwood

Receipt

Receipted account for 1 guinea paid to W.J. Ring for tuition of Master Ralph. Dated 1830

John Terry

Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830

Lantern slide of early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Account : 1833

Account dated March-September 1833 for cloth, blankets, clothing, etc. bought by John Terry of J.W. Robertson of Hobart Town.

John Terry

Baptismal certificate

Certified copy of the record of baptism in the Chapelry of Bolton and Redmire, Co. York, England, of Ralph, son of John Terry, miller and Martha Terry, dated 5 March 1815.

John Terry

Letter: 5th November 1833

Letter written by William Wood from Snake Banks dated 5th November 1833 to John Leake regarding volumes of the New Monthy and wifes health

John Leake

Letter: 24 February 1834

Letter written by William Wood dated 24 February 1834 regarding tickets of leave

John Leake

Letter: 20 May 1836

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L1-G-4
  • Item
  • 1836-1869
  • Part of Leake Papers

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge, dated 20 May 1836 wishing an offer on the sale of his estate in March providing he is offered three pound per acre and the auctioning of the stock. Includes a sketch of the property

John Leake

Letter: 10 September 1836

Letter written by William Wood dated 10 September 1836 regarding 41 bushels of wheat, newspapers and Mrs Woods kind regards

John Leake

Letter: 16 May 1836

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge, dated May 16,1836 regarding wheat, possibilty of selling of his estate to Mr Bryant and his wife very unwell

John Leake

Letter: 10 June 1838

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge, Snakebanks dated 10 June 1838 regarding the membership of the committe for the Church of England Grammar school

John Leake

Letter : December 1838

Letter from F. [Frances] Simmons to 'my dear Ann':- sending box to V.D.L. containing things her 'beloved (now Angle [sic] in Heaven) left you' [?Mary Simmons] and other items including books for the children and teaspoons; also giving news of Fanny, John [James' brother] and Frederick (who fought in Africa).

Jane Simmons

Letter: 16 March

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge, dated Friday 16 March 18?? regarding the price that the sheep fetched at Spencers Gulf

John Leake

Letter: 15 December 1838

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge, dated Friday 15 December 1838 regarding a loan of three hundred pounds for wheat

John Leake

Port Arthur

Lantern slide of Port Arthur 1839. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Dumaresq Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC D3
  • Collection
  • 1839

Collection consists of one framed and one folded in book form Map of Van Diemen's Land by George Frankland, dated 1839. Dedicated to the Land Holders of the Colony by their faithful servant, George Frankland, Surveyor General and Sole Commissioner of Crown Lands . The map shows : counties, hundreds, parishes, townships, reserves for townships, roads, houses, names of landholders. Inset plans of Hobart and Launceston (24cm X 21cm) Scale : 20 miles : 7cm Size : 80cm X 130cm

George Frankland

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Note: 10 June 1838

Handwritten promissory note signed by William Wood, Hawksridge, dated 2 June 1840 for the sum of one hundred pounds, due September 5. Stamped in black ink The Commercial Bank Launceston No. 16137

John Leake

Note: 10 June 1838

Handwritten promissory note signed by William Wood, Hawksridge, dated 2 June 1840 for the sum of one hundred pounds, due September 6. Stamped in black ink The Commercial Bank Launceston No. 16613

John Leake

Marriage

Marriage certificate of George Washington Walker and Sarah Benson Mather, married at Friends Meeting House, Hobart. Dated 15th December 1840. Witnessed and signed by many of the respectable inhabitants of the colony

George Washington Walker

Note: 2 June 1840

Handwritten promissory note signed by William Wood, Hawksridge, dated 2 June 1840 for the sum of one hundred pounds, due September 5. Stamped in black ink The Commercial Bank Launceston No. 16138

John Leake

Letter: 22 August 1841

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 22 August 1841 regarding his financial situation, finding a purchaser for Windfalls and Mr Smith wanting 750 pounds to give up the two year lease.

John Leake

Letter: 13 June 1841

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 13 june 1841 requesting subscriptions to the school in Hobart town to be called the Archdeacon Hutchins school for the instruction (as I have been informed) of the lower classes, and under the control of the chief minister of the English church in this colony: The subscriptions range from £10.10 downwards if you or others incline to subscribe

John Leake

Letter: 15 August 1841

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 15 August 1841 regarding no chance of his sons being able to raise any of the money which I borrowed and advanced to them for Port Philip – Idetermined on selling his land at the Windfalls or part of the Estate

John Leake

Letter: 22 November 1841

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 22 November 1841 offering the services of a very decent entire horse of the carriage breed for Leakes mares also Mrs Wood will be most happy to see Mrs Leake and her friends at any time

John Leake

Letter: 25 May 1842

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 25 May 1842, regarding sending two acceptances which he hopes will be more correct and of how he is much annoyed by the rheumatism

John Leake

Letter: 5 June 1842

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 26 June 1842 to Leake regarding his health, thanking him for his letter and when he should trim his grapevine

John Leake

Letter: 14 August 1842

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated (?) 14 August 1842 regarding always making mistakes in acceptances, all afflicted with rheumatism, rations given out to servants and going to the ball.

John Leake

Letter: 29 August 1842

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 29 August 1842 regarding acceptance (enclosed), still busy ploughing and sowing

John Leake

Letter: 15 March 1842

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 15 March 1842 regarding mistake in the acceptance

John Leake

Letter: 5 June 1842

Letter written by William Wood from Hawkridge dated 5 June 1842 to Leake regarding surprise at the acceptance of draft being unpaid as he gave the letter to Mr Hankey a gentleman who had been staying with him – telling him it was of consequence

John Leake

Letter: 27 October 1842

Letter written by William Wood to Leake dated 27 October 1842 regarding Leakes refusal of loan and not needing any help by the end of next year. Latin inscription at the bottom of the letter from part of the Poem Tristia by the ancient poet Publius Ovisius Naso. Donec eris felix, multos numerabis amicos; tempora si fuerint nubila, solus eris
(As long as you are lucky, you will have many friends; if cloudy times appear, you will be alone)

John Leake

Letter: 2 October 1842

Letter written by William Wood to Leake from Hawkridge dated (?) 2 October 1842 regarding morgage interest repayment on the 20th of month and request for loan of £300

John Leake

Letter: 13 October 1842

Letter written by William Wood to Leake from Hawkridge dated 13 October 1842 regarding the request for loan of £300, interest payment due in 10 days and can offer collateral of 600 ewes and their accompanying lambs

John Leake

Letter: 14 November 1842

Letter written by William Wood to Leake dated 14 November 1842 regarding sale of Hawkridge

John Leake

Thomas Judd's diary

Diary of Thomas Judd (1822-1915) son of Thomas Judd (1794-1887) and Elizabeth (Cane) on a voyage from England to Tasmania on the "Sir Charles Napier" with his family: "Father and Mother, Elizabeth, myself, John, Ann, Rebecca, Susan, Martha and Henry (we have left William behind - being deaf and dumb - to receive his education in the asylum)". The diary consists mainly of the voyage: weather, activities on board, prayer meetings in their cabin. On arrival they took a house in Macquarie Street and looked for jobs. Ann and Elizabeth were offered posts as governesses but Elizabeth died on 30 December, at the age of 22, and was buried in the Scotch burial ground.
Typed typescript made by D. Little 2 July 1953 - spelling and punctuation altered.

Thomas Judd

Letter: 14 September 1842

Letter written by William Wood to Leake from Hawkridge dated 14 September 1842 regarding flood, never seeing the river that high and 350 acres of corn underwater

John Leake

Letter: 2 October 1842

Letter written by William Wood to Leake from Hawkridge dated 2 October 1842 regarding fire, governor, rebuilding river banks and corn

John Leake

Letter: undated (October 1842)

Undated letter written by William Wood to Leake regarding his financial situation, harvest unsold, if creditors insist will sell up everything - town allotment, horses, carriage, furniture anything except the sheep

John Leake

Letter: 20 November 1842

Letter written by William Wood to Leake dated 20 November 1842 regarding his desire to sell Windfall and the sheep part of Hawkridge

John Leake

Reminiscences of Sarah Benson Walker

Sarah Benson Walker's reminiscences of her life in Hobart Town as recorded by her son James Backhouse Walker. It includes narrative of the voyage out, and descriptions of Hobart in the very early period, information about Hobart personalities as well as the story of Sarah Benson Walker's life

James Backhouse Walker

Donation from Bicheno

Document dated Liverpool 1844, George Walker on behalf of the Total Abstinence Society for the donation of a pound towards funds from James Ebenezer Bicheno

George Washington Walker

Journal : 1847

Journal of William Archer for the period March to December 1847. Entries for most days, sometimes including much detail, referring to his daily work (both farm work on his property and later his architectural work), also his travels, visits to and from neighbours, elections and political activities etc.

William Archer

Old Government House

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Correspondence : Walker to Denison

Copy of letter dated 17th December 1849 from George Washington Walker to Lt. Governor Sir William Thomas Denison which is a memorial to the prisoner Augustus Dalmas and his daughter Caroline, now Mrs. Adams.

George Washington Walker

Letter from Bicheno, Colonial Secretary's office

Letter dated 30th November 1850 from the Colonial Secretary's office signed by James Ebenezer Bicheno regarding a grant of land at the south end of Collins Street Hobart to the Total Abstinence Society.

George Washington Walker

Plan for the advocacy of the Total Abstinence Society cause

List of gentleman and proposed dates for the plan for the advocacy of the Total Abstinence Society cause in connection with the V.D. Land T.A Society at the Prisoners Barracks, Hobart Town up to December 1851 on the second Friday evening in the month at 7 o’clock

George Washington Walker

Sketches of Rosedale

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L1-H-100 &101
  • Item
  • c1850-1854
  • Part of Leake Papers

Two pen sketches of Rosedale showing tower and weather vane, porticos and terraces, conservatory, stables etc, gardens. Drawn by John Travis Leake, c1850 - 1854

John Travis Leake

Hobart Town from the Queen's Domain

Photograph of Hobart Town, Tasmania, from the Queen's Domain, looking down Macquarie Street in the 1850s. This photograph appears on page 27 of Allan Sierp's 'Colonial Life in Tasmania: Fifty Years of Photography 1855-1905' (Rigby, 1976)

Dean Letters

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC D8
  • Collection
  • 1850-1852

Two handwritten letters addressed to William Dean. One letter has engraving of Hobsons Bay and Williams Town, Port Phillip. HAM brothers, Engravers. Published by John Hunter, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne

William Dean

Minutes of meeting

Minutes of an overflow meeting held in promotion of National Temperance in the Infant School Room, Murray street on the evening of Thursday 6th July 1854. Address delivered by David Blair on the important subject of "National Temperance". George W Walker in the chair.

George Washington Walker

Letter to Philip Smith

Letter to Philip Smith, Hobart Town, regarding the committee of the Temperance Society and the importation of intoxicating drink

George Washington Walker

Memorandum

Memorandum regarding the location and the construction of the Temperance Hall at the end of Murry and Davey Street, Hobart dated 1854 and signed George Washington Walker

George Washington Walker

Petition

Copy of an uncompleted petition from the inhabitants of Hobart Town and its vicinity to the Honourable the Legislative Council of Van Diemen's Land. Petitioners therefore pray that the 38th Section of the Licensing Act, commonly known as the " Sunday Clause" may not be repealed.

George Washington Walker

Results 1 to 100 of 1380