Item 5 - Henry Hellyer Letter

Identity area

Reference code

AU TAS UTAS SPARC X13-5

Title

Henry Hellyer Letter

Date(s)

  • 1828 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 letter

Context area

Name of creator

(1790 -1832)

Biographical history

Henry Hellyer (1790 - 1832), surveyor for the Van Diemen's Land Company. Son of John Hellyer and Betsy (Maine) of Portchester, Hampshire, England. Hellyer arrived in Tasmania in 1826 and explored the north-west for the V.D.L.Co., especially the district between Port Sorell, Valentine's Peak and Black Buff. He named the country north and south of Valentine's Peak the Hampshire Hills and Surrey Hills and recommended it to the V.D.L.Co. In 1827 he was sent to layout a road from Emu Bay to the Hampshire Hills. He later surveyed most of the district from Black Buff to Mount Bischoff, the Cripps Range, Cradle Mountain and the Murchison River. In 1832, the mapping and surveying needed by the V.D.L.Co. being completed, he was appointed to the Government Survey Department, but committed suicide at Circular Head on 9 September 1832, believing that slanderous reports had been circulated. For more information http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/hellyer-henry-2175

Name of creator

(1798-1850)

Biographical history

Edward Curr (1798-1850), company manager, was born on 1 July 1798 at Bellevue House, Sheffield, England, the third son of John Curr, a civil engineer who managed the estate and coal-mines of the Duke of Norfolk. Curr sailed with his wife Elizabeth (Micklethwait) in the Claudine and arrived in Hobart Town in February 1820. He was granted 1500 acres (607 ha) at Cross Marsh. In 1884 he published ' Account of the Colony of Van Diemen's Land, Principally Designed for the Use of Emigrants". In 1824 he was appointed was chief agent/manager of the Van Diemen's Land Company, establishing the company's base at Circular Head in September 1826. For more information see: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/curr-edward-1944

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Ms. copy made by Miss D.E. Fleming from a copy in the possession of J. Walker.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Copy of a letter from Henry Hellyer to Edward Curr, dated 29 November 1828, describing a journey to Mt. Farrell, the Fury Gorge, Barn Bluff and Cradle Mountain, and the discovery of river Mackintosh and Eldon Range

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au

When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

gc August 2018

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places