Leather bound folio ledger book dated 1850-1851. Accounts for tuition, textbooks (sometimes named), stationery and extras, each account headed by the name of the parent noting place of residence and whether a shareholder. At the back of the volume are quarterly abstracts of accounts and accounts of fees for evening classes in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy including a list of names of those attending
Photocopy of and article written by Davis Willis regarding Ernest Henry Waldemar Wolfhagen and the cultivation in Tasmania of the first commercially available reverse bicolor daffodil "Binkie". NOTE FROM AUTHOR : I had just completed my prediction that the ancestors of the reverse bicolor trait, as seen in 'Binkie' were unlikely to be determined any time soon when an offer to look into its background was received via Caroline Thomson, Director and owner of the National Heritage and Scientific Collection of Backhouse daffodils. The offer was made to Caroline by the University of Dundee/James Hutton Institute, to look into the background of some of the old Backhouse cultivars, but when Caroline mentioned my work on Wolfhagen and 'Binkie' the offer was extended to include 'Binkie'. This is a tremendous opportunity to finally solve the mystery of the origin of the reverse bicolor characteristic and work will begin in April 2023, when leaf tips of 'Binkie' will be taken to the University. (The James Hutton Institute is a globally recognised organisation delivering fundamental and applied research and is situated at Invergowrie, Dundee). Since the emergence of 'Binkie' as the first commercial reverse bicolor daffodil and its later extensive use in breeding, particularly by Guy Wilson in Northern Ireland and Grant Mitsch in the USA, this type of daffodil has become increasingly important and sought after, an outstanding modern example, 'Altun Ha' having 'Binkie' in its background. 'Binkie' itself has stood the test of time, still being commercially obtainable, some 80 years after its first appearance at the Hobart Show.
Interview with Colin Dennison dated 25th August 2018. Interview conducted by Ben Ross (www.oralhistorycompany.com) concerning Colin’s lifetime of collecting photographs, postcards, stamps and other historical resources. Colin donated the collection to the University of Tasmania Library Special & Rare Collections.
Collection consists of over xxxx objects found on site as floors were excavated in Domain House from 2011 - 2015. Objects include many personal items ranging from paper and letter fragments, nibs, stylus, china fragments and toys
Collection consists of archival documents of the Australian Quaker Narrative Embroidery Project - Friends in Stitches. The documents begin at the start of the project in 2009. They include minutes of meetings, early sketches and designs, samples of woven material, quotes, early newsletters and photographs. The Friends in Stitches - Australian Quaker Narrative Embroidery Project seeks to provide a history of Australian Quakers. It is inspired by the British Kendal Quaker Tapestry. At the time of the donation there are 24 completed panels. This project will continue.
Collection consists of an article entitled Memories of Physics in the army huts at Sandy Bay that was written by Bruce Scott in 2018. It documents the early days of the Physics Department on the Sandy Bay Campus of the University of Tasmania and is accompanied by some negatives of the site and of people.
Collection of UTAS graduation ceremonies booklets and DVDs. Graduation ceremonies are held twice a year in August and December. DVDs, Ambassador Productions Pty. Ltd. held from 2008-2013 ; & 2013-2015 imperfect. Earlier publications held at Graduation ceremonies / University of Tasmania, University Centre- Steps Store - Journal - LG 715 .H6 T32 - 1982-1992
Three photographs of the Honour Board of Tasmanian Society of Honorary Justices, located in hallway (Elizabeth Street entrance) Hobart Town Hall. Honour Board presented to Society by Mr F. G. Shepherd, QPM, JP. Historical notes : 1922 - 1994 dates/names confirmed by joint Society and University of Tasmania (History Department) research of available public records. Photo credit. Mr. P. Baker. 12 December, 2000.
Manuscript copy of a book on sail transportation by B R Broughton, “Berth of a Man" – an authentic story of ships, the sea and the shore” draft of a manuscript about sail water transport (wheat clippers) a factual picture of the world ashore and afloat as seen through the eyes of an ordinary Australian.
Collection consists of UTAS publications : • 1994 communications directory • 1995-96 communications directory • 1997 telephone directory • August 2002 telephone directory • Restructuring of Information Technology Services. 13 December 1995 1998 Australian Awards for University Teaching , awarded to Arthur Sale • Service level definitions. 12 May 1998 • The service of IT. August 1998 • Networking. 1991
Manuscripts of papers not held by UTAS Library or listed on Libraries Australia: • Multiple definitions of and approaches to a complex problem I Joan Abbott-Chapman, Phillip Hughes, Colin Wyld. July 1990. • From effectiveness and efficiency to excellence: a giant step for education I Phillip Hughes. 1990. • Towards equity and excellence: final conclusions and recommendations ... I Joan Abbott-Chapman, Phillip Hughes, Colin Wyld. December 1990. [Held at one library only. See Libraries Australia record 8193061] • The Students at Risk Program (STAR Program): an evaluation of projects in Tasmanian Schools. Report 1 I Joan Abbott-Chapman, Carol Patterson. December 1990.
Congratulatory Addresses for the University's Centenary in 1990, mostly illuminated and mounted, from universities in Australia and New Zealand and also from the Association of Commonwealth Universities and the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
Framed oil painting by Max Angus (1914-2017): a portrait of Dan Sprod (1924-2018), former Morris Miller Librarian (1966-75) and subsequently proprietor of Blubber Head Press and Astrolabe Antiquarian Books, seated at the window of his home in Sandy Bay holding a copy of the book Simpkinson de Wesselow authored by Max Angus and published by Blubber Head Press in 1985
Video recordings of interviews with former staff etc. made by or for the Centenary Committee. Also a copy of unedited material relating to the University shot by the A.B.C. and purchased by the Committee. Recordings were made either on U-matic video cassettes or on 1 inch video tape on reels
Scrapbook containing newspaper clippings and theatre programs and posters from performances held in the Studio Theatre between 1982 and 1999. Some of the companies and organistions who featured at the theatre were: Salamaca Theatre Company,The Mummers Theatre Company, The Cygnet Peforming Arts group, Round Earth Company, The University's Conservatorium of Music, Breadline Theatre Company, Forum Music Theatre, The Performance Laboratory, The Old Nick Company, Apprentice Theatre, The Classics Society, The Hobart Raja Yoga Centre, the H.C Theatre Company, Misterioso Productions, Polygon Theatre & Launceston Repertory Society.
Consists of one Library promotional video made in 1981, VHS cassette recording, 6.5 minutes. Script by Mary Howard and Peter Cohen, narrated by Meg Taylor, camera work by Michael Knott, Ross James and Eve Pettit, technical director Brian Rieusset, programme director Eve Pettit. Originally recorded on Umatic cassette for continuous playing over 1 hour, copied on to VHS by Brian Rieusset July, 1993, for University Archives (two showings over 15 minutes). Reformated to DVD in 2017. Includes typed copy of script.
Papers relating to the University's submission and other submissions following the Karmel Report on Post Secondary Education. Prof. Sale's file on submissions on post-secondary education dated 1976-1977 .
Collection consists of miscellaneous photographs used in various UTAS news publications such as Infocus, Graduate News, Interim. Plus various other news events including the Royal visit from Prince Charles in 1974.
Collection consists of material relating to the (HELLP) Help the Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian Peoples Association and The Lithuanian Studies Society of the Tasmania University Union includes copies of "Baltic News" and Lithuanian papers
HELLP and Lithuanian Studies Society of the Tasmania University Union
Research notes relating to articles on Alfred Joseph Taylor (1849-1921) , G.L.A. Thirkell and Tichborne Case. Also tape recording and typescript of interview of Sir Robert Cosgrove, and Letter from Professor Sir Isaiah Berlin
Engraved mounted print carried as a despatch in 1970 on the Barquentine "Regina Maris" to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the voyage made by Captain Cook and newspaper cutting on the sale of Cook's log book and journal. Engraving by W. Hall, from the painting by Nathaniel Dance (1776), printed by Fisher, Son &Co., with facsimile of Cook's signature. Printed about 1820.
Collection of colured slides produced by the Fine Art Committee of various exhibitions organised by them . "Tom Roberts and his Circle" an exhibition of works by painters of the Heidelberg School, 24th June - 9th July 1969, Penny Smith "Clay Forms" 1974 and other unnamed exhibitions.
Illustrated progamme of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Tasmania Regiment: Presentation of Queen' s and Regimental Colours by his excellency the Governor of Tasmania, Lieutenant-General Sir Charles Gairdner KCHG, KCVO, KBE, CB, (Honorary Colonel The Royal Tasmania .Regiment) at the Brighton Military Camp, Saturday 2nd March 1968' includes colour photographs of the colours, photos of Governor and officers, and list of parade
Collection of black and white photographs of the staff, students and equipment at the Medical Sciences Building taken c.1974. Some photographs named. Identification photographs of medical students, named 1966 to 1977
Collection of School of Medicine files (1966-1981) containing newspaper clippings, class/graduation photographs (1984,1985,1987,1988), staff lists, job advertisements, seminar information, questionnaires.
Scrapbooks containing cuttings from newspapers (mainly Tasmanian) relating to the University of Tasmania from the late 1970's these include any mention of the University in Tasmanian, including brief references to former students, advertisements for functions in the University Centre and some general articles relating to education. There are none between 1918-1932.
Papers and records of laboratory work and other investigations in preparation for five books written by Malcolm Spencer Gregory, lecturer in Civil Engineering at the University of Tasmania • The history and development of civil engineering, 1974 • An introduction to extremum principles. 1969 • Elastic instability: analysis of buckling modes and loads of framed structures. 1967 • Linear framed structures, 1966, • Simple digital computing examples 1971
Collection consists of material relating to the University of Tasmania Library and its branch libraries. Includes, staff bulletins, publications, newsletters, annual reports, photographs and newspaper clippings
Collection consists of photographs and negatives of UTAS buildings, equipment, staff & students , including Launceston. Produced by Fred Koolhof while he was employed by the University of Tasmania as a photographer. Also some material relating to the Uniting Church.
Collection consists of material relating to the University of Tasmania Evangelical Union including minute books, letter from the University of Tasmania Christian Union and 1978 issue of the newspaper "Direction"
Minutes of Students' Club, Hyttite Newsletter; annual reports, correspondence, social activities : dinner dance, old boys' reunion - copies of menus and invitation cards, records of sports and activities
Films of University buildings and activities made at various times and held by Photographic Section or Academic Departments and donated to the Centenary Committee for the Centenary history. Some films include items from news reels donated by the A.B .C. Some show the progress of building work on the Sandy Bay site and the opening ceremonies. The dates of occupation of University buildings were: V.C.'s Lodge December 1958; Union March 1959 (building done in stages); Hytten Hall March 1959; Engineering workshops March 1959 and main building August 1960; Library February 1961; Chemistry February 1961; Arts July 1962; Geology & Geography November 1962; Life Sciences building work began 1963. The temporary Administration building, later converted to Staff Flats, was first occupied in March 1957. The transfer of departments from the Domain was completed in November 1962. The removal of the temporary huts at Sandy Bay was begun December 1962 when the Geology huts were sold (see Gazette May 1959, June 1962, Annual Report 1962,1966). An opening ceremony was held on 16 May 1959 when the Premier, Hon. Eric E. Reece, officially opened the Union, the Engineering Laboratory block and Hytten Hall. The ceremony commenced in the Engineering building at 3pm. On 31 March 1962 His Excellency the Governor of Tasmanian, Lord Rowallan, opened the Chemistry and Library buildings, followed by tea in the Union.
Collection consists of letters written by Olive Pink to John Hargrave during the years 1956 to 1974. Written from Home Hut, Native Flora Reserve, Alice Springs. John Hargrave addressed variously as Dr Hargrave, Sir, Grandson, Boy, Nungari, John Hargrave, Yabulla/Yabbula/Yabbulla.
Video recordings of interviews with former staff etc made by or for the Centenary Committee. Also a copy of unedited material relating to the University shot by the A.B.C. and purchased by the Committee. Recordings were made either on U-matic video cassettes or on 1 inch video tape on reels
Collection consists of Thylacine Expedition 8 mm films, and notes on site locations etc. collected on location at Mt Nelson, Granville Harbour and Cape Portland , in Tasmania between 1953 and 1978 by Eric Guiler. Reel 104 is an example of the films. All films are available for viewing at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/36113/
Collection consists of various black and white photographic views of the interior and of the staff of the University of Tasmania Library at Domain House, Hobart also at the Morris Miller Library, Sandy Bay
Collection consists of material produced and collected by Oates. Included are personal and professional papers , diaries, letters, research notes for publications and material relating to the "Singing Ship"
Photographs (prints - 120mm x 160mm or 115mm x 115mm) of marine life, including environment and close ups of species in Tasmania (mainly taken in the 1950s) and also a series taken in Chile in 1955. By Zoology staff member, Eric Guiler. Tasmanian locations include Betsy Island, Balckmans Bay and Kingston, Bridport, Dodges Ferry, Dunalley, Eaglehawk Neck, Fisher Island, Freycinet Peninsula, Kettering, Howrah, Pipeclay Lagoon, Port Arthur and Trial Harbour
Scrapbook of Theatre programmes - news clippings dated 1949 - 1959. News clippings relating to the reconstruction of the Theatre Royal, programmes for plays, concerts, etc. 'The Theatre Royal: a brief history' 1837 - 1948, collected by Mrs. Olive Burns, at one time acting president of the Hobart Repertory Theatre.
Collection consists of minutes of general and committee meetings, annual reports, correspondence and membership lists of Economic Society of Australia & New Zealand : Records of the Tasmanian Branch dated 1948 - 1975
Economic Society of Australia and New Zealand. Tasmanian Branch