Interview with Colin Dennison dated 25th August 2018. Interview conducted by Ben Ross (www.oralhistorycompany.com) concerning Colin’s lifetime of collecting photographs, postcards, stamps and other historical resources. Colin donated the collection to the University of Tasmania Library Special & Rare Collections.
Colour photograph shows how a belt is connected to drive wheel of a steam engine and a baler, at a demonstration held near central arena at Elphin Showground, Launceston, also set up for sheepdog trials
Colour photograph depicts red C Class steam locomotive, steaming on line approaching Relbia Station railway platform, near Launceston, between Western Junction and Inveresk. The words: ?CENTENARY TRAIN 1871-1971? emblazoned on front of boiler.
Colour photograph of Aveling & Porter Limited steam roller, working on levelling flat area of gravel and sand opposite City Park, Launceston, off Cimitiere Street. Three motor vehicles visible in background.
Colour photograph shows yacht with spinnaker hoisted, sailing on Derwent River, the Astor, purportedly in 1962 Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race, photograph quite possibly taken in 1961, 1963 or 1964 race when the craft took line honours.
Photograph depicts forecourt of Wrest Point Hotel, Sandy Bay, showing front door with decorative masonry, with five dolphins, ship with St George Cross atop front door. Man in brown uniform standing alongside a Holden FX with dark body paintwork and a yellow painted roof, a taxi affiliated with Hobart's Yellow Cabs, Tasmanian licence plate WXG 772.
The collection features photographs taken by Hobart photographic studio Beattie’s Studio, also known as J.W. Beattie, for the Electrolytic Zinc Co. at the company’s Risdon smelter between 1920 and 1940. The collection depicts construction of new facilities at the factory complex. The first sod was turned on the zinc smeltering plant at Risdon on the western shore of the Derwent River on 16 November 1916, and a test smelter called the 250 lb plant was opened in 1917 to produce 250 lb of zinc a day using the recently developed Roast-Leach-Electrowin (RLE) process of extracting zinc through electrolysis. Electrolytic Zinc’s office occupied the former Derwent Inn. The larger 10-ton plant opened in January 1918 and the 100-ton plant opened in November, 1921. This collection of photographs depicts the phases of construction of the 100-Ton Plant, further expansion of the smelter and decomissioning of some of the older equipment at the zinc works. Beattie’s Studio was a photographic studio founded by Scotsman John Watt Beattie (1859-1930), who began exhibiting photographs soon after his arrival in Tasmania in 1878.
This collection is a sample of images of Queenstown, Zeehan and Macquarie Harbour, sourced from the Colin Dennison image collection. Most of the images were originally created prior to 1956 and have been sourced from private Tasmanian collections. Most of the images have been obtained by scanning photographs either donated to or purchased by Mr Dennison or copied by him with the permission of families, one or more of whose members took the photographs. Some of the images can be identified as copies of original images created by government departments which were discarded and destroyed.
Image contains text identifying the subject and also 'copyright'. Originally taken from a postcard published in the weeks following the 1912 North Mount Lyell mine disaster. Image shows overhead view of people milling around the mine entrance.
Image centres on the two motor vehicles and adjacent figures, showing the ground and part of the first storey of the Queenstown Hotel. Affixed to first-storey railing is a large banner promoting Newtown v Queenstown football match on Saturday August 6th.
Image possibly taken from original glass plate. Shows two vessals on the river with hills behind and occupied row boat in the foreground. Image appears twice, side by side with narrow shadow down the centre. When compared with image Boats on the Gordon.tif it is possible the view is of the Gordon River.
Image like sourced from a newspaper or publication as quality is grainy and contains legend at the bottom: F.O. Henry's Lynx and Grining's Valkyria, Gordon River, c1930. Compare with Boats on Franklin.tif
Image likely sourced from a newspaper or publication as it contains printed legend at the bottom: Opening out of the west - clearing the land for the new town of Crotty. Photographer identified. Primitive buildings just visible in the background. It is likely the image is older than 1902.