Item AK39 - Stone cottage with shingle roof

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

AU TAS UTAS ITCCD 2017/3-AK39

Title

Stone cottage with shingle roof

Date(s)

  • 1960s (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 digital file

Context area

Name of creator

(1923-2004)

Biographical history

Hal Wyatt, born Hobart (1923-2004), a taxation officer, steam buff, restorer of historic machinery, sailor, and amateur photographer, took several thousand photographs in Tasmania over more than six decades. As a child, Hal Wyatt lived in several locations across Tasmania including Queenstown, Wynyard and Deloraine, following the postings of his father John Burgess Wyatt (1902-1975), who worked with the Postmaster General’s Department. Hal's mother was born into the Hale family, a line of watermen or boatmen, who worked on the Derwent River in the 19th and early 20th century. Hal’s paternal grandfather, Benjamin Wyatt, had been a photographer and publisher of scenic postcards in England, at Kingsbridge in the South Hams district of Devonshire. Hal Wyatt was educated at St Hilda’s School, Deloraine and Launceston State High School, where he completed his leaving examination and public service examination in 1941. He began work with the Australian Taxation Office in Hobart, then in the latter part of World War II enlisted with the Royal Australian Navy, joining the crew of the HMAS Junee, an Australian-built Bathurst class corvette, commissioned in 1944, completing missions off New Guinea. After the war, Hal returned to work for the ATO in Hobart, settling with his wife Joyce (nee Hope) at Howrah on the eastern shore of the Derwent River, where they raised three children, David, Marian and Kerin. In his spare time, he restored engines, ships and yachts and built a caravan for family holidays around Tasmania, many of which coincided with trips to look at steam trains and search for derelict engines and machinery. He was involved in the Ship Lovers’ Society of Tasmania, which was the precursor of the Maritime Museum of Tasmania, as well as the Tasmanian Transport Museum at Glenorchy.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Part of Colin Dennison collection donated to UTAS, 2016.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Colour photograph of stone cottage at Callington Mill, Oatlands, with weatherbeaten timber shingles, surrounded by wire mesh and paling fence around small garden, with nearby livestock pens.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Available for private research and study.

Conditions governing reproduction

Copyright held by the estate of Hal Wyatt. For permission to reproduce please contact UTAS SPARC special.collections@utas.edu.au

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

This cottage is situated in the Oatlands Mill complex https://www.callingtonmill.com.au/ https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/australia-tasmania-oatlands-old-stone-high-res-stock-photography/158317122

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places