Showing 11060 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

7636 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Letters Patent of the University of Tasmania

Parchment document bound with green ribbon and sealed with red wax. Letters Patent of King George V granting recognition throughout the Kingdom, empire and Dominions of degrees conferred by the University of Tasmania in Arts, Science, Law, Medicine, Music and all branches of knowledge except Theology

University of Tasmania

University of Tasmania Charter

  • UT377
  • Collection
  • 1899-1915

Documents relating to the University of Tasmania Charter

University of Tasmania

Frederick Mortimer Young Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC Y1
  • Collection
  • 1894-1921

Collection consists of lectures and papers delivered by Frederick Mortimer Young.

Frederick Mortimer Young

John Coverdale : obituary

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC X8
  • Collection
  • 1896

Hand written obituary of Dr. John Coverdale 1814-1896, author unknown, entitled "Death of Dr. J Coverdale, a Colonist of 60 years" an abridged version appeared in the Mercury, Wednesday 24 June 1896.

John Coverdale

Miscellaneous deed

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC X7
  • Collection
  • 1681

Parchment document, photographic copy and transcription of the final concord made between (1) Francis Bent & Richard Philips, complainants & (2) Elitzur Stockton, Joseph Flude, Nicholas Smith and William Bishop, deforciants, confirming grant to the first parties of 20 acres of land, etc., in Cosby, Little Thorpe, Dunton Basset and Gilmorton [Co. Leicestershire, UK].
A fine of lands, also called a final concord, or simply a fine, was a species of property conveyance which existed in England (and later in Wales) from at least the 12th century until its abolition in 1833 by the Fines and Recoveries Act. The advantage of obtaining title to property through a fine (as opposed to, for example, a simple feoffment or deed of gift) was that it provided the transaction with the additional legal authority of a royal or court judgment and ensured that a record of the conveyance would be preserved among the court archives.

Francis Bent

Envelope of photographs

Envelope address to Walter Harrison containing: Photograph of Natural History Museum, London; photograph of Sir William Crowther standing next to a memorial, Highfield, Circular Head (1967); colour photograph of portrait (? Mrs Crowther)

Sir William Edward Lodewyk Hamilton Crowther

Governor's memoranda

Governor's memoranda & circulars, signed by J.W. Agnew (cost of shipping), C. Gellebrand (constitution and electoral acts), George C. Strahan (printed) Governor's leave of absence.

James Willson Agnew

Miscellaneous memoranda & circulars

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC X3
  • Collection
  • 1866

Governor's memoranda & circulars, signed by J.W. Agnew (cost of shipping), C. Gellebrand (constitution and electoral acts), George C. Strahan (printed) Governor's leave of absence. Also envelope address to Walter Harrison containing: Photograph of Natural History Museum, London; photograph of Sir William Crowther standing next to a memorial, Highfield, Circular Head (1967); colour photograph of portrait (? Mrs Crowther)

James Willson Agnew

Wauba Debar's grave

Newpaper cutting from the Mercury newspaper about Wauba Debar's grave at Bicheno Tasmania. Article includes image of the grave of Wauba Debar (1792–1832) a female Aboriginal Tasmanian.

Wauba Debar

The story of Tasmanian aborigines

The story of Tasmanian aborigines , prepared by Dr. William Bryden. Published Hobart [Tas.] : Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, 1960.

William Bryden

Tasmania’s vanished race

Tasmania's vanished race : national talks delivered from 3AR Melbourne, on February 26th, 1935, March 6th, 1935 and March 12th, 1935 written by Frederic Wood Jones

Frederic Wood Jones

Language & dialects spoken by the Aborigines of Tasmania

Printed paper presented by the Secretary of The Royal Society of Tasmania entitled 'Language & dialects spoken by the Aborigines of Tasmania, compiled from official and other vocabularies and arranged for comparison by J.E. Calder’. Published by the Parliament of Tasmania in 1901

James Erskine Calder

Manuscript notes on Aborigines

Handwriten manuscript notes and copies of government correspondence concerning aborigines, 1830 - 1832 . Thought to have been compiled c. 1950 - 1970, author unknown

Notes on Aborigines

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC X2
  • Collection
  • 1869-1950

Collection consists of booklets and and photocopies relating to Tasmanian Aborigines

Advance Tasmania

'Advance Tasmania ' [1914?]
Patriotic song written and composed by Frank Hussey, arranged by A. R. Crowhurst, (xerox copy)

Frank Hussey

Wattle Grove Press, Newham

Copy of catalogue and letter from Rolf Hennequel, Newnham Tasmania, also copy of translation of Italian poem on Trucanini (Truganini) and letters to the University Librarian urging its publication in Togatus.

Rolf Hennequel

Henry Hellyer Letter

Copy of a letter from Henry Hellyer to Edward Curr, dated 29 November 1828, describing a journey to Mt. Farrell, the Fury Gorge, Barn Bluff and Cradle Mountain, and the discovery of river Mackintosh and Eldon Range

Henry Hellyer

Circular Head scientific journaI article

Article written in 1968 about the Circular Head scientific journal article by T. Iredale and G. P. Whitley (gift of T. E. Burns) R.C. Gunn, while police magistrate at Circular Head in 1836, wrote and edited the Circular Head scientific journal.

Ronald Campbell Gunn

Land Grants

a) Copy (by Janet Pitty) of return of lots of land sold by the Crown 1833
b) Photocopy of part of list of land Grants
c) List of Crown grants of 1000 acres and over before June 1823 by W. G. Robertson & Cecil Allport typed also copy on reading room shelves)

Maria Island

a) Bill of Parliament to amend the Act to authorise Leasing of Maria Island 1892
b) Notes on Maria Island for the Royal Society of Tasmania, Northern Branch excursion 1969

Maria Island

Centenary of C. J. Weedon & Co.

Cutting from Examiner, Launceston 12.March 1946 . Centenary of C. J. Weedon & Co. 1942 (mining & commission agents, estate agents).
Also article on early banks of Launceston,

C. J. Weedon & Co.

Land grant

Typed extracts from the report of Acting Surveyor-General Dumaresq to the Colonial Secretary.

Ronald Campbell Gunn

Salmon Commissioners

Xerox copy of report and minutes of Salmon Commissioners , 1864-1865, printed report 1882, copies of humorous poems and cartoons.

Salmon Commissioners Tasmania

Convict seizure of brig Frederick

A narrative of the sufferings of certain of the ten convicts who piratically seized the brig Frederick at Macquarie Harbour in Van Diernen's Land , as related by one of the said convicts whilst lying under sentence of death for this offence in the Gaol at Hobart Town. Ms. note: 'written by James Porter a convict who arrived by the 'Asia' in Nov. 1827'.

James Porter

The story of the Parramore family

The story of the Parramore family by E. M. Cooper, The Morrows, Yankalilla, S.A. 1953.
Pamphlet, including extracts from letters of William Parramore (1797-1854, m. Thirza Cooper), who settled in V.D.L. in 1823, and reminiscences of Beaufront.

William Thomas Parramore

Philip Oakden Letters

Copies of letters, extracted from the letter book of Philip Oakden, banker and founder of Union Bank in Lauceston, written to Osmund Gilles during the period 1834-1838.

Philip Oakden

Mawle Papers

Xerox copy of a letter from Sophia Summerfield to Wlliam Mawle, 27 Jan, 1831. Also xerox copies of depositions relating to theft from estate of the late William Mawle, Mawles Hotel, Baghdad. (xerox copies of originals owned by G. Cramp)

William Mawle

William Mawle Letter

Letters from Sophia Summerfield to William Mawle dated 10 September 1828. This typed copy was made by owner of original letter, Gordon Nanscawen, Burnie

William Mawle

Miscellaneous Items Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC X13
  • Collection
  • 1816-1975

Collection consists of miscellaneous letters and documents, including the Will of Ronald C Gunn (1879); copy of a letter from Henry Hellyer to Edward Curr describing a journey and the discovery of River Mackintosh and Eldon Range(1828); genealogy of John Lyne made by WL May (1919); copies of letters of depositions relating to theft from estate of William Mawle; copies of letters from letter book of Philip Oakden, founder of the Union Bank, Launceston and extracts from letters of William Parramore who settled in VDL in 1823.

Captain Kelly's house

Lantern slide of Captain Kelly's house, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Campbell & Minchin building

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, corner Elizabeth and Bathurst street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Waterfront buildings and Salamanca, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of waterfront buildings and Salamanca, Hobart,Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

View of the Derwent River, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of view of the Derwent River, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994. 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Bishop Nixon

Lantern slide of Bishop Nixon Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Streetscape, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a streetscape in Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

House, Hunter Street, Hobart, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of house in Hunter Street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

House in Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of house in Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Early Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of early Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the harbour. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

Buildings, early Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of buildings in early Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Buildings on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Street, Hobart ,Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of buildings on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

Wybalena, Flinders Island

Lantern slide of Wybalena, Flinders Island. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Wood's hut, the Springs, Mount Wellington, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of Wood's hut, the Springs, Mount Wellington, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Interior of chemistry laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Corner of library, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Exterior of chemical laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Entrance to physical laboratory & registrars office, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern Slide of plan of early Hobart Town, from a survey done in 1804-1805, showing later alterations. The plan also appears in James Backhouse Walker's paper 'The Founding of Hobart, by Lieut.-Governor Collins' read to the Royal Society of Tasmania 14/10/1889. In this he describes the plan, "I am indebted to my friend Mr. Mault for a beautifully executed plan, which shows very clearly the original features of the ground, and the position of the first camp, and also indicates the alterations which have since taken place. It is taken from a survey made by Surveyor-General Harris in 1804-5. The original plan was discovered many years ago in the Lands Office at Sydney, and was presented by the New South Wales Government to our Lands Department. The Deputy- Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. Albert Reid, kindly presented me with a tracing of it."
Lantern slide thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Interior of physical laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Exterior of physical laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

South front, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Henry Ling Roth (1855-1925) Tasmania

Lantern slide photograph of Henry Ling Roth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

James Backhouse (1794-1869) Tasmania

Lantern slide of James Backhouse. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmania Map

Lantern slide of maps of Tasmania. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Map of Tasmania

Lantern slide of maps of Tasmania. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

West Australian Aboriginal stone implements

Lantern slide of West Australian aboriginal stone implements. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tedworth Aboriginal caves

Lantern slide of aboriginal caves at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Aboriginal caves Tedworth

Lantern slide of aboriginal caves at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tree marked by aborigines, Tedworth

Lantern slide of a tree marked by aborigines at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Aboriginal implement quarry

Lantern slide of an aboriginal implement quarry at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Mixed race Tasmanians

Lantern slide of mixed race Tasmanian aborigines. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994. The fourth person from the left is believed to be Mary Everett and the fifth person is believed to be Bunny Brown.

John Watt Beattie

Ground stone Aboriginal implements

Lantern slide of ground stone aboriginal implements. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal woman

Lantern slide of a Tasmanian aboriginal woman. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal woman and child

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal woman and child 'after Labillardiere'. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal stone implements

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal stone implements. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal profile

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal profile. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Results 1 to 100 of 11060