Showing 5095 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections
Print preview View:

1802 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Helen Power

Personal papers. photographs and correspondence relating to Helen Power (1870-1957), Tasmanian poet

Clive Sansom

Helen Power: personal papers

Including: diary 1957, manuscript poetry and prose sketches, exercise book containing journal notes and poems, book of manuscript poems.

Marguerite Helen Power

Helichrysum semi-papisum

Watercolour and coloured pencil on paper painted by Olive Pink at Edwards Creek, South Australia 6/8/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Helichrysum semi-papisum

Olive Pink

Helicrisum

Coloured pencil on card, sketched by Olive Pink at Rodinga, Northern Territory 18/9/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Helicrisum

Olive Pink

Henrietta Pierce's photograph album

Photograph album presented on 23 November 1897 to Henrietta Pierce, secretary of the Missionary Helpers Union, Hobart. She had taught at Friends School for eleven years and was leaving Hobart to teach at her aunt's school in Colchester, England. Letter enclosed signed by members of the Missionary Helpers' Union.
Photographs (as identified by Nancie Hewitt):

  1. Pierce family - Alice, Henrietta, John, Margaret (9 yrs)
  2. Friends School party (group of girls and boys seated on ground with tennis racquets)
  3. May Gould - first cousin of Henrietta Pierce
  4. Gould boys left to right: Jack, Arthur, Cecil, Alan
  5. Mrs W.E. Shoobridge (nee Mather)
  6. Edith Shoobridge, daughter of above and missionary wife
  7. Ada Gatchell, Irish Friend (blind and deaf 40 years)
  8. Frank Mather, Margaret and Henrietta Pierce before Henrietta went to England 1897
  9. Charles Sowden
  10. Henry Propsting
  11. Hannah Propsting
  12. Sarah Pumphrey and Mary (daughter)
  13. Elinor and Margerita Robey [as children with doll]
  14. Miss Wilson (LeTall), housekeeper Friends School
  15. Margaret Pierce
  16. Alice Pierce - taken at Lawson by William Allen [elderly woman with stick and bundle of firewood]
  17. Shoobridge family - Edith's wedding
  18. Samuel Clemes - first head of Friends School
  19. Isabella Jane Clemes (1840-1903) first [woman] senior wrangler of Cambridge University, Newham College
  20. Ferdinand Grone, husband of Lizzie Pierce
  21. Aunt Lizzie Pierce, John Pierce's sister
    24 Thomas Pierce (grandfather of Mary) "(John youngest son): and Mary Anne
  22. Pierce cousin (boy) (carte de visite by G. & J. Hall, Wakefield, England]
  23. Woman, spectacles, head & shoulders by William Gill of Colchester [aunt? or other relative]
  24. Henrietta Pierce [Later photograph, head & shoulders by Whitfield Crosse & Co., Salisbury, Devizes & Southampton]
  25. John Pierce and Elizabeth - first wife ("Gould. Her brother a Hobart chemist, grandfather of present ones")
  26. John & Elizabeth Pierce [carte de visite photos by G. & J. Long, Newport Isle of Wight and Brading]
  27. Friends of Ettie's in England [two young men, spectacles, 1920s or 1930s, photo by Edges Ltd., Llandudno]
  28. [Young man, rustic boots and breeches no date]

Henrietta Pierce

Henry Brune Atkinson : Botanical Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC A14
  • Collection
  • c1920 -1946

The papers consist of Atkinson's notes and sketches of orchids also letters, notes and articles received from other orchidologists.

Henry Brune Atkinson

Henry Allison to Margaret Gunn

Letter: Henry Allison to Margaret Gunn dated 29 January 1852 regarding journey, cricket game, tea with Dryburgh, friends, Mackersey wanted an oppossum to send to Stephenson's wedding as there would be a good many blacks there dancing round a fire and they could roast one, the children, love to Gunn family.

Margaret (Gunn) Allison

Henry Hellyer Diary

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC R12
  • Collection
  • 1827

This diary, dated 3 July 1827 to 29 August 1827 is entitled: 'H. Hellyer's journal of operations in opening a road from Emu Bay towards the Hampshire Hills'. It is written in an octavo notebook, interleaved with blotting paper, bound in light brown leather, marked 'No.7'. A pencil note inside states: 'H.H.'s diary continued from a memo book opening - lengthwise having yellow edges and green covers and marked No (the number has been omitted). At the bottom of the last entry is a note 'Diary continued in a memo book with green covers and yellow edges marked No .. (opening lengthwise)' (the number has been omitted) The diary is illustrated by neat drawings of animals (eg. 'native cat'), plants, trees, scenery and the camp. At the front are tables of 'the quantity of timber etc. upon one quarter of an acre of heavily timbered land in three different parts of the Forest where the soil is unexceptionable'
In his journal Hellyer noted the weather conditions - they were hampered by rain and their camp was very cold and damp, there were rats and Hellyer was troubled by a sore and inflamed face, but there were sunny days when he commented that 'this climate is certainly far superior, it is never so cold and seldom so hot as the Dog days in England'. He described the timber, dogwood interspersed with Forest Trees of stringy bark, blackwood, etc. - one tree was sixty feet in circumference. The clearing work was done mainly with axe and cross cut saw and occasionally a pile of logs too difficult to move was burnt. Hellyer calculated that it could cost as much as £93 in labour to clear 21 acres. The work men mentioned included Richard Frederick, who seems to have acted as second in command, Jones the cook, Harley, McDonald, Wells, Higginson, Isaac, and Mackie. They lived mainly on salt pork, brought from England in the Company's supply ship, and dough boys (flour and water boiled hard). The men would not eat salt mutton even when it was available. Supplies were very short as the expected ship had not arrived and on 14 August Hellyer wrote to Edward Curr the V.D.L. Company manager complaining of the arrangements for supplies for they were reduced to flour only and they could not work on that. On one occasion Hellyer went back in the 'long boat' to Circular Head for supplies and described the coast, a cavern, grass tree hearts which he found tasted like walnuts, and pieces of the wreck of the Dotterel (wrecked in March 1827 off Port Dalrymple) which they found. At Circular Head he obtained stores from Mr White, paint from Mr Watson arid medicines from Dr. McNab. He noted that the sheep had foot rot, that the freemen [of the Company ] had been on strike owing to the lack of supplies and that ten of the Company's servants, including the prisoner White, had drowned since March.

Henry Hellyer

Henry Hellyer Letter

Copy of a letter from Henry Hellyer to Edward Curr, dated 29 November 1828, describing a journey to Mt. Farrell, the Fury Gorge, Barn Bluff and Cradle Mountain, and the discovery of river Mackintosh and Eldon Range

Henry Hellyer

Henry Lewis Garrett : Degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C8
  • Collection
  • 1863

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Henry Ling Roth (1855-1925) Tasmania

Lantern slide photograph of Henry Ling Roth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Henry Meredith to parents

Letters from school at New Town Academy from Henry Meredith (1821-1836): went to races- boat on four wheels drawn by horses, new school being erected, holidays with Master Butcher and Master Smith, hopes Mother recovered from her "long illness" (1832-1833); from Hobart: business matters, Boyes, Richards and Smith's bills, vessel nearly discharged and Bell kept sober (5 Dec. 1834).

Henry Meredith

Henty to nephew Henry

Correspondence from William Henty to nephew Henry dated 9 June 1843. Pleased with Henry's letter to his father, Henry and his brother's studies improving, plants, boomerang, family, compliments to Mr and Mrs Hawkes.

William Henty

Henty to wife Matilda and Mary

Correspondence from William Henty to wife Matilda and daughter Mary dated between August and October 1862.
Letters to his wife, Matilda, and daughter,Mary, on holiday with relatives at Tomago N.S.W., written in the form of a journal describing his last days in office and preparations for leaving the Colony. When Parliament was dissolved after the defeat over the "Ad valorem duty bill", having carried the State Aid Religion Bill, William Henty was able to resign and made his farewell speech on 17 October 1862. He described his preparations for departure: he cataloged his books for sale, sorted and burnt papers, packed up a side saddle for Mary, suggested sending Mary's old school and story books for Ann's children at Tomago, his servant Dinah was to go to Mrs Dobson, his dog Fanny was given to Joseph Archer - with Mrs Archer's permission - but "poor little Fanny looked very forlorn at me when the man took her away cuddled in his arms . . . she lately has come into the Council regularly with me and everybody took notice of her", Banjo the cat to the butcher, who promised to take good care of him, the mare sold for £30 and the carriage for £50 and he gave his picture of the cricketers to Lewis Dobson. Henty was suffering from a bad foot and Dr. Crowther "applied caustic" but might have to take off the toenail using chloroform. Dr. Crowther was operating on Mrs Buckland's eyes for cataract. There are references also to relatives and friends and social life. Henty dined at Government House with Governor and Mrs Gore Brown and the guests played at bouts rimes making verses out of questions and nouns. He also referred to Mrs Gore Brown's "theatricals", her slighting Miss Rose and then dining at "old Gregsons". The Messiah had been played at the Theatre for the Packers. Henty also dined at Archdeacon Davies' to meet Mrs Kermode and old Mrs Archer etc. Willy Garrett said "the girls" were getting on well with the scholars and "the young Cockburns" were going to board there. Bobby Maning had run away to Captain Fenton's and Willy Knight was trying for a Tasmanian Scholarship, but was thought to be "much behind the others". Mrs Crouch
had sent her promised book "The Young Ladies' Instructor". The Barnards had returned on the "Heather Belle". It snowed in Hobart several times that winter and a gale blew down the end of the stable. Henty hoped that young Mary was finding the weather in N.S.W. more agreeable and was pleased to hear she had seen the comet - Mr Abbott had also seen it.
Letter 19 dated 12 Aug. - 3 Sept.. Letter 20 dated 5 Sept.- 23 Sept. Letter 21 dated 23 Sept. to Mary.Letter 22 dated 9 Oct. - 18 Oct. (incomplete)

William Henty

Heraldic shield

Mounted wooden wall shield from A W Crisp & Co., 16 King's Parade, Cambridge. Unidentified. Four lions on red background

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Heralds of Spring

A collection of loose typescript poems titled "Heralds of Spring", with an incomplete list of poems at front

Alice Daisy Baker

Herbert C. Tapping Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC T10
  • Collection
  • 1906-1919

Collection consists of correcpondene, accounts and photographic images relating to the Tapping family

Herbert Caleb Tapping

Here and Now society

Program of fortnightly meetings conducted by the 'Here and Now society', advertising Sansom's session on 'Poems from the Chinese'.

Clive Sansom

High School of Hobart Town

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC H8
  • Collection
  • 1849-1859

Collection consists of reports of council and an annual report.

John Lillie

High School of Hobart Town : ledger book

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX11
  • Collection
  • 1850-51

Leather bound folio ledger book dated 1850-1851. Accounts for tuition, textbooks (sometimes named), stationery and extras, each account headed by the name of the parent noting place of residence and whether a shareholder. At the back of the volume are quarterly abstracts of accounts and accounts of fees for evening classes in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy including a list of names of those attending

John Lillie

Hilda Bridges Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2013/2
  • Collection

Collection consists of material produced and collected by Hilda Bridges. Contains photographs, newspaper articles, material relating to Roy Bridges and his publications and many loose manuscripts and typescripts written by Hilda Bridges

Hilda Bridges

Historical notes

One bunble of miscellaneous historical notes. Including notes on early settlers and land grants, list of land grants, inns in Hobart 1829, 1833, Rokeby Cemetery, notes on Gospels and Church history.

William Graham Robertson

Historical notes and cuttings

Notes and cuttings relating to the Brownell, Judd, Barnett and Propsting families, made by Nancie Hewitt, including:-

Brownell: notes by Mrs Hewitt including extracts from an account of Thomas Coke Brownell by his son John Beecham Brownell, photograph of T.C. Brownell.
Barnett: news cutting on Archdeacon Ernest Judd Barnett (died 1955) and copy of memorial address, notes, photograph of Grace Hannah Barnett, obituary of Barbara Burnett (1946).
Patricia Hewitt to serve in India news cutting 1961.
Judd: notes on Judd family; copy of letter from Elizabeth Judd to her aunt, H. Cane, London, on arrival in Hobart describing their voyage, Father being schoolmaster for the voyage in an emigrant ship, and describing Hobart - many things cheaper than in England 1 December 1842 (typed and manuscript copy).
Propsting: marriage declaration of no impediment to the marriage of Alfred Henry Barnett to Elizabeth Georgina Propsting no date; notes on the Propsting (or Probstein) family; extract from minutes of Friends Meeting concerning Henry Propsting 1878, 1901; photographs of Ann and Hannah, first and second wives of Henry Propsting.
Family tree showing connection of Brownell, Barnett, Judd and Propsting families.
News cuttings: Friends School painting of Matthinna, Arthur Circus, Fern Tree Hotel.

Thomas Judd

Historical studies

Correspondence with G. Mackaness, Mrs. Calder, Mitchell Library, Latrobe Library and other libraries on Calder and other historical queries.

Donald Davie

History and locale of North London

Parcel of collected materials about the history and locale of North London, described in a note as 'Archival' material which would delight a North London Librarian, eg Winchmore Hill. These are old books and pamphlets on that area. The parcel also contains copies of Sansom' s letters about conservation issues sent to English newspapers and journals during the 1930s.

Clive Sansom

History for Grades III and IV

Seven scripts of ABC 'History for Grades III and IV' radio broadcasts for schools, written by Sansom, sometimes with Ruth Sansom's assistance. Sansom recorded most of these with the assistance of his colleagues from the Speech Education Centre.

Clive Sansom

History of Bass Strait

BHP "History of Bass Strait" series Nos. 1-12 : reproductions of maps and pictures issued each month with The Australian Financial Review, Jan-Dec. 1972.

History of Photography : Lantern slides

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX28
  • Collection
  • n.d.

Collection consists of miscellaneous glass lantern slides and negatives, to illustrate the history of Photography

History of the Amos and Lyne families

Manuscript notes "History of the Amos and Lyne families", by C(larendon) Amos, also duplicated notes for members of the family (later published privately as 'Family history of Adam Amos of 'Glen Gala' and William Lyne of Apsley'.

Amos Family

Hobart and environs

Various photographs of Hobart and Hobart environs taken between 1870 and 1882. Photographed by H. H. Baily, and Anson Bros.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart Legacy

Material relating to the Hobart Legacy Club. Includes, papers rules and photographs

William Edwin Fuller

Hobart Legacy Club

Material relating to the Hobart Legacy Club. Originally founded as "Remembrance Club" 1923, Hobart Legacy - 1944, includes printed papers, rules, Barnett photograph of delegates to Legacy conference 1949.

William Edwin Fuller

Hobart : postcards

Seven captioned hand coloured images in proprietary envelope. Showing views of Hobart.
From envelope - Valentine's Snapshots. Eight real photographs. Hand Coloured Hobart, No. 1. Published by The Valentine Publishing Co. Melbourne and Sydney.

Valentine Publishing

Hobart : postcards

Eight captioned hand coloured images in proprietary envelope. Showing views of Hobart.
From envelope - Valentine's Snapshots. Eight real photographs. Hand Coloured Hobart, No. 1. Published by The Valentine Publishing Co. Melbourne and Sydney.

Valentine Publishing

Hobart : postcards

Eight captioned black and white images in proprietary envelope. Showing views of Hobart.
From envelope - Valentine's Snapshots. Eight real photographs. Hobart, No. 1. Published by The Valentine Publishing Co. Pty. Ltd. Melbourne and Sydney.

Valentine Publishing

Hobart cemeteries

Copies of letters and articles from Mercury by 'Marshman' and Calder on Hobart cemeteries, Hobart suburbs and Botanical Gardens. Handwritten copy in 'reporters' notebook.

Donald Davie

Hobart Chamber of Commerce

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC H3
  • Collection
  • 1851-1984

Collection consists of one folio leather bound minute book and other material relating to the Chamber of Commerce including annual reports and handbooks and directories.
Minutes are incomplete, but annual reports or annual handbooks are complete from 1910 -1984.

Hobart Chamber of Commerce

Hobart City Clerk

Hobart City Clerk, 5 July 1916. Fred R. Battle had been appointed City Treasurer and Accounting, but Tapping with third in ballot.

Herbert Caleb Tapping

Hobart Commerce

One issue of the periodical publication of the Hobart Chamber of Commerce entitled "Hobart Commerce" Vol. 5 No. 21 May 1971

Hobart Chamber of Commerce

Hobart from Huon Road looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from Huon Road looking east in about 1879, according to notes on the reverse.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the river

Photograph of Hobart harbor and mountain (snow topped) from river, showing sailing ships, steam ferries. Glossy print, on "cabinet" mount, T. Crawford, Hobart.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the top of Murray Street

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from the top of Murray St in about 1876 according to notes on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart High School prizebook

1 book awarded to D. Barclay titled 'Life of James Watt' by James Patrick Muirhead, London, 1858. The book is apparently a secondhand copy used for a prize as the signature 'McNaughton 1859' is on the flyleaf - Examination prize, December 1860

High School of Hobart Town

Hobart High School prizebook

1 book awarded to D. Barclay titled 'The Merrie Days of England' by Edward McDermott, London, 1859. Commercial prize December 1861 - 'Mr Simeon Lord's prize'

High School of Hobart Town

Hobart looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart looking east toward the river, showing Holy Trinity Church. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918..

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking south

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking south along Barrack Street toward St Georges Hill, Battery Point

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking south east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking South East with a garden in the foreground and Elizabeth Street in the middle distance. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1874-1880.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart newspaper cuttings

Collection consists of newspaper cuttings relating to Hobart, Tasmania, dated 1972-1976

Hobart Railway Station

Photograph of Hobart from the Queen's Domain with the railway station in the foreground, c. 1881. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Hobart Regatta

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta taken in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston from 1900-1913

Albert Sargeant

Hobart Regatta Grandstand from the water

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta grandstand taken from the water in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston, Tasmania from 1900-1913.

Albert Sargeant

Hobart Regatta programmes

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC R10
  • Collection
  • 1899-1941

Collection consists of four regatta programmes printed on 'satin'. May be silk with a fringed border. The programs details various rowing and sailing events. One Hobart Regatta programme and three Royal Hobart Regatta Programs as the regatta of 6 February 1934 was the first to be called the Royal Hobart Regatta, the title being conferred by King George V.

Royal Hobart Regatta Association

Hobart Repertory Theatre Programmes

Scrapbook of programmes dated 1927-37 compiled and donated to the Hobart Repertory Theatre Society by Maisie Fulton, and a few additional programmes dated 1938-1942

John Reynolds

Hobart Savings Bank

Lantern slide of Hobart Savings Bank, Murray Street Hobart c1860. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Shopping Guide

Hobart shopping guide : to assist Japanese visitors to Hobart compiled and prepared by Hobart Chamber of Commerce. Published Tokyo, Japan : Federation of Japan Tuna Fisheries Co-operative Associations, undated date [1971?]. Bilingual text: Japanese and English.

Hobart Chamber of Commerce

Hobart streetscape in snow

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a Hobart streetscape in snow - looking towards Mt Nelson and Sandy Bay.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart Town Council Lighting Committee Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC H9
  • Collection
  • 1858

Collection consists of material relating to the Hobart Town Council Lighting Committee and includes reports and petitions collected by Henry Propsting, chairman of the Lighting Committee

Henry Propsting

Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town from the New Wharf - print

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC DX21
  • Collection
  • 1857

Coloured print Lloyd, Henry Grant, 1830-1904 :Hobart town from the new wharf.
W.L. Walton lith; H. Grant Lloyd del. [London, M & N Hanhart, ca. 1857].
Reprinted from the original by Foscan No. 438

Henry Grant Lloyd

Hobart Town from the Queen's Domain

Photograph of Hobart Town, Tasmania, from the Queen's Domain, looking down Macquarie Street in the 1850s. This photograph appears on page 27 of Allan Sierp's 'Colonial Life in Tasmania: Fifty Years of Photography 1855-1905' (Rigby, 1976)

Hobart Town Gazette

Lantern slide of front page of the Hobart Town Gazette, June 1816. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the Harbour

Lantern slide of an early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the harbour. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1817

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, in February, 1817. Inscribed with the words 'Hobart Town in 1817. Drawn by Lieut. Charles Jeffreys' - also shows the Government schooner the Kangaroo , church, Government House and Fort.

Charles Jeffreys

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830

Lantern slide of early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart view

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Hobart viewing over St. Davids Park, probably from Hampden Road, (in about 1878 according to a note on the reverse). The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart view to the east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of an elevated view of Hobart looking east taken near Browne Street, (about 1876, according to a note on the reverse). Warwick Street in the foreground. Photographed by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart waterfront

View of Hobart waterfront c.1880 showing docks, carts, ships at anchor and woodyard

Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill, Battery Point. Showing St Georges Church and James Luckman's windmill probably taken in the 1870s.

James Backhouse Walker

Results 1601 to 1700 of 5095