- 1970 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 digital file
Name of creator
Hal Wyatt, born Hobart (1923-2004), a taxation officer, steam buff, restorer of historic machinery, sailor, and amateur photographer, took several thousand photographs in Tasmania over more than six decades. As a child, Hal Wyatt lived in several locations across Tasmania including Queenstown, Wynyard and Deloraine, following the postings of his father John Burgess Wyatt (1902-1975), who worked with the Postmaster General’s Department. Hal's mother was born into the Hale family, a line of watermen or boatmen, who worked on the Derwent River in the 19th and early 20th century. Hal’s paternal grandfather, Benjamin Wyatt, had been a photographer and publisher of scenic postcards in England, at Kingsbridge in the South Hams district of Devonshire. Hal Wyatt was educated at St Hilda’s School, Deloraine and Launceston State High School, where he completed his leaving examination and public service examination in 1941. He began work with the Australian Taxation Office in Hobart, then in the latter part of World War II enlisted with the Royal Australian Navy, joining the crew of the HMAS Junee, an Australian-built Bathurst class corvette, commissioned in 1944, completing missions off New Guinea. After the war, Hal returned to work for the ATO in Hobart, settling with his wife Joyce (nee Hope) at Howrah on the eastern shore of the Derwent River, where they raised three children, David, Marian and Kerin. In his spare time, he restored engines, ships and yachts and built a caravan for family holidays around Tasmania, many of which coincided with trips to look at steam trains and search for derelict engines and machinery. He was involved in the Ship Lovers’ Society of Tasmania, which was the precursor of the Maritime Museum of Tasmania, as well as the Tasmanian Transport Museum at Glenorchy.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Colin Dennison images transferred to UTAS Library 2016.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Colour photograph shows a person and two motor vehicles on the span of steel truss bridge built for the North Mount Lyell railway to cross the King River, near Crotty, taken in 1970; bridge later submerged by Lake Burbury.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Available for private research and study.
Conditions governing reproduction
Copyright held by the estate of Hal Wyatt. For permission to reproduce please contact UTAS SPARC firstname.lastname@example.org
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Name access points
- Colin Dennison (Curator) (Subject)
Genre access points
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata