Print preview Close

Showing 50 results

Archival description
Midlands Tasmania With digital objects
Print preview View:

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of doorway at Braeside

Photograph of doorway at Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph view of arches at the stables, Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Braeside from the south west

Photograph of Braeside from the South West, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Stone cottage with shingle roof

Colour photograph of stone cottage at Callington Mill, Oatlands, with weatherbeaten timber shingles, surrounded by wire mesh and paling fence around small garden, with nearby livestock pens.

Hal Wyatt

Photograph of the Congregational Church

Photograph of the Congregational Church, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960.
Two churches were established at Broadmarsh, an Anglican church, St Augustine's in 1847 and a Congregational church in1861.
Location 1497 Elderslie Road. The Broadmarsh Uniting (Congregational) Church was built in 1861 on land owned by William Gunn, at ‘Arndell’.

Photograph of front view of Braeside

Photograph of front view of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of window at Strathelie

Photograph of window at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of front view of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Sketches of Rosedale

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L1-H-100 &101
  • Item
  • c1850-1854
  • Part of Leake Papers

Two pen sketches of Rosedale showing tower and weather vane, porticos and terraces, conservatory, stables etc, gardens. Drawn by John Travis Leake, c1850 - 1854

John Travis Leake

Farm house fallen down

Colour photograph of abandoned farmhouse, with only a rickety timber roof frame, some internal walls and floors, three dormer windows and two orange brick chimneys intact; external brickwork has collapsed entirely into to piles of rubble; mature European trees planted surrounding house; electricity poles erected through property and roadside cutting across hillside shows line of road, possibly Midland Hwy, featuring white guide posts. Photograph file is named Bishton, possibly referring to Bishton Creek, near Jericho.

Hal Wyatt

Visitor seated near front door and garden at Brickendon

Colour photograph shows a woman seated on park bench outside main house at Brickendon, historic 465ha estate established and farmed by William Archer and descendants since 1824, who invited tourists to their property from the late 20th century.

Hal Wyatt

Bridge at Jericho

Colour photograph shows water flowing underneath sandstone piers and supports of road bridge at Jericho.

Hal Wyatt

Mud walls at Jericho

Colour photograph shows ruins of former probation station and convict labour accommodation at Jericho, built with rammed mud walls

Arthur Knight

Carvings on Ross Bridge archway

Colour photograph shows the sandstone relief carving in the keystone and other carvings in the voussoir stones of an arch of the Ross Bridge across the Macquarie River

Arthur Knight

Cottage at Ross

Colour photograph shows front of sandstone cottage with red painted corrugated iron roof and decorative front porch, established flower garden, at Ross.

Hal Wyatt

Bath Inn at Oatlands

Colour photograph of sandstone building with tin roof, geraniums blooming in front garden, Bath Inn, at Oatlands, Tasmania

Hal Wyatt

Visitors at Brickendon, Longford

Colour photograph shows two sightseers, man with camera hanging on strap around his neck and gloved woman carrying handbag, outside main house at Brickendon, historic 465ha estate established and farmed by William Archer and descendants since 1824, who invited tourists to their property from the late 20th century.

Hal Wyatt

Ross Bridge

Colour photograph shows the arches of the sandstone bridge at Ross that leads across the Macquarie River

Arthur Knight