Colour photograph of beam engine in Hobart, purportedly the oldest McNaught Beam Engine in existence, originally built 1854 in Paisley Scotland, by A.W. Smith and used by Risby’s Sawmill in Hobart until 1955; photograph taken at Moonah public works depot 1967
Colour photograph of three steam engines in Best’s yard, Devonport, taken 1959; depicts three steam engines in a clearing in a eucalyptus bush setting with pile of scrap timber suitable for fuel and green motor vehicle.
Colour photograph shows a person and two motor vehicles on the span of steel truss bridge built for the North Mount Lyell railway to cross the King River, near Crotty, taken in 1970; bridge later submerged by Lake Burbury.
Colour photograph of boats moored at Constitution Dock, Hobart, early 1970s, with distinctive 11-storey brown clad Marine Board of Hobart building, visible in background. Image was erroneously labelled as being taken in 1954, but Marine Board of Hobart building was constructed between 1970 and 1972.
Colour photograph of Cleburne Homestead, also known as the Mount Direction Homestead, a dwelling built in the 1830s at Risdon and threatened with demolition during the construction of the nearby Bowen Bridge.
Colour photograph of a church building, constructed in greying sand stone, with ivy climbing up wall on attached building; originally the Chalmer’s Free Church and Manse, in Hobart, on the corner of Harrington and Bathurst streets, later the Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church; congregation merged with St Andrew’s in Hobart to form, Scots Church; Chalmers church building sold in 1954 to Neptune Oil Company, which demolished it to construct a fuel station.
Colour photograph of schoolchildren and sightseers crowding onto the track and climbing onto another train to look at the passing Centenary Train, pulled by two steam locomotives on the Tasmanian Government Railways line, at Westbury Station.
Colour photograph of red painted railway carriage hooked up behind wagon laden with cut and split timber in a railway siding at Deloraine. Two men standing beside the carriage (with DB10 painted on the side), one man wearing hat, studying a viewfinder camera, the other is looking up the track.
Colour photograph shows a child sailor at the rudder of a cadet dinghy on Derwent River sailing upstream, while another pleasure craft is travelling in opposite direction; both are sailing past the Royal Australian Navy ship, the Destroyer Escort, HMAS Torrens, (No. 53 emblazoned on the side) is berthed just off Port of Hobart.
Colour photograph shows a Chas Burrell and Sons steam engine, abandoned and rusting, in a paddock, partially overgrown by runaway hawthorn hedge, in fruit, at Bridgewater. The maker’s name plate is partially visible on the front of the boiler. Visible at top right of photograph is western gantry of vertical lift roadway of Bridgewater bridge on eastern shore of Derwent River, where Bridgewater bridge and causeway joins towns of Bridgewater and Granton.
Colour photograph, taken overhead, of three-masted ship berthed at pier on Burnie wharf, undated; timber stacked on concrete surface of wharf, motor vehicles parked on wharf; five smaller single-masted vessels and dinghies, also tied to nearby jetty.
Colour photograph depicts team of eight red oxen, most likely Red Devon or Shorthorn cattle, pulling a wagon on concrete roadway, in Dunn Street, Hobart, 1952, towards the city away from waterfront, wagon laden with hessian bags, children riding on wagon alongside several hatted men; passing in front of newly extended weatherboard building with newly installed windows; exterior of 1902 sandstone Customs House visible in background. Photograph is taken looking towards current site of Tasmanian Museum Art Gallery courtyard entrance, in area now known as Dunn Place.
Colour photograph shows construction of the Tasman Bridge, in early 1960s, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent River; the floating Hobart Bridge is visible in foreground; Mount Wellington in distance, with dry grasslands in the foothills of the mountains, visible on western shore of river.
Colour photograph shows construction of a temporary traffic span of the new Tasman Bridge, as viewed from the western shore of the Derwent River, in 1964; the floating Hobart Bridge upstream is visible in background.
Colour photograph of two bridges across the Derwent River, the Hobart Bridge, right, and the Tasman Bridge, left, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent in August 1964. Snow caps Mount Wellington in the background.
Colour photograph of the centre span of the Tasman Bridge is under construction in 1963, as viewed from a vehicle travelling on the nearby Hobart Bridge, which carries vehicular traffic across the Derwent River on a temporary, floating platform.
Colour photograph. A man sits on grass near a bicycle close to the men’s bathing sheds on the banks of the Meander River at Deloraine, beneath railway bridge and a short distance from the Bass Highway that crosses the river on a road bridge further upstream.
Colour photograph taken from the western shore of the Derwent River, depicts vehicles travelling on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, while the nearly complete multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river, is visible downstream.
Construction site on riverbank as work begins on Tasman Bridge; cranes, steel scaffolding and brickwork evident. Workers in hard hats; one man striding towards camera, wearing gumboots is poking his tongue out at the photographer.
Colour photograph depicts vehicular traffic on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, as consctruction begins downstream on the multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river.