Showing 7276 results

Archival description
With digital objects
Print preview View:

Gold License issued to George Elliot

Gold License issued to George Elliot on October 1858 by P.C.. Crespigny, Commissioner. To meet the expense of securing order and to restrain unauthorised mining on Crown land, a local Act of January 1852 imposed on all diggers a license fee of 30 shillings per month, the penalty for mining without a license being £6 for the first offence and afterwards imprisonment for terms up to six months

Manuscript notes on gold digging

Manuscript notes on gold digging, written around [c.1858] author unknown, may have been George Elliot. Includes on the front page a coloured drawing of 'The Diggings, designed and drawn by William Strutt, and published by D. Urquhart, Collins Street, Melbourne.

William Strutt

Salmoniana, June 1866

Publication entitled 'Salmoniana,' by Barri Couta (pseud.)m June 1866. Humorous verse and sketches concerning the arrival of salmon ova in Tasmania. The names of the commissioners and others have been noted on the sketches in this pamphlet which includes advertisements printed by J. Walch & Son.

Salmon Commissioners Tasmania

Daguerreotype of woman seated

This daguerrotype may possibly be of Sophia Lee Archer nee Mattinson, who was born in 1809.
She married John Lee Archer, the Colonial Engineer and Architect, in 1833 aged 25. Pocket case constructed of wood frame, covered in embossed leather. When opened, it has one photograph in a frame made of brass and on the back side of the door a blue velvet embossed pad. Case is hinged with leather and closed with two small latches.

John Lee Archer

Photograph of woman seated

This photograph may possibly be of Charlotte Lee Archer, born 1834, eldest daughter of John Lee Archer and Sophia Mattinson.

John Lee Archer

Photographic view of Circular Head

Photographic view of Circular Head dated 1868 and inscribed "with best love from Aunt Charlotte".
The photographer was J. Bishop-Osborne who had studios in Hobart from 1879-1895..

John Lee Archer

St. Pauls Church, Stanley

Rendered view of St. Pauls Church, Stanley, Circular Head, V.D. Land. John Lee Archer Architect 1845. Ink and water colour drawing.

John Lee Archer

Police magistrate's residence

Police magistrate's residence, Circular Head, Stanley, Tasmania dated June 1844. Floor plan, end and side elevation. Note on manuscript, destroyed by fire January 1848, original manuscript plan, mounted on paper with linen thread work back.

John Lee Archer

Proposed church at Killcooley

Proposed church at Killcooley. Section and ground plan by Architect J Lee Archer. Dated February 1823 (photographic copy)

John Lee Archer

Proposed chapel designed for the Orphan School Establishment

Proposed chapel designed for the Orphan School Establishment, Hobart Town, Van Diemens Land by architect J Lee Archer 1832, Section and elevation-circular building (photographic copy). Ground Plan - This level would contain seats for 366 children and 43 adults and the Gallery for 260 children and 168 adults - total 837. In 1830 Lieutenant-Governor Arthur commissioned John Lee Archer to design the Orphan School. Construction took place between 1831-1833.

John Lee Archer

Extracts of officers' logs: part 2

Extracts of the officers' logs of the French naval vessel Mascarin's voyage of exploration led by Captain Nicholas Marion Du Fresne -Tasmanian part of voyage, March 1772.
'Journal du voyage fait sur le vaisseau du Roy Le Mascarin, commande par Mr. Marion, Chevalier de l'Ordre Royal et Militaire de st.
Louis, Capitaine de Brulot, accompagne de la Flutte Le Margqis de Castries, pour faire le voyage de l'Isle Taity ou de Cythere, en faissant la decouverte des terrae Australae passant a la Nouvelle Hollande, a la Nouvelle Zelande etc.

Photographs of Archives Nationales, Marine 4 JJ, 192, no. 19, pp. 1, 12-18

Marc-Joseph Marion Dufresne

Extracts of officers' logs: part 1

Extracts of the officers' logs of the French naval vessel Mascarin's voyage of exploration led by Captain Nicholas Marion Du Fresne -Tasmanian part of voyage, March 1772.
'Journal du voyage fait sur le vaisseau du Roy Le Mascarin, commande par Mr. Marion, Chevalier de l'Ordre Royal et Militaire de st.
Louis, Capitaine de Brulot, accompagne de la Flutte Le Margqis de Castries, pour faire le voyage de l'Isle Taity ou de Cythere, en faissant la decouverte des terrae Australae passant a la Nouvelle Hollande, a la Nouvelle Zelande etc.

Photographs of Archives Nationales, C 7 197, pp. 1, 7-14;

Marc-Joseph Marion Dufresne

The Royal Society of Tasmania Medal

Cast bronze medal produced by The Royal Society of Tasmania in 1988 to commemorate the Joseph Banks Memorial Lecture. It features a bust of Banks on one side, the H.M.S. 'Beagle' under sail, a banksia and a lizard on the other. It is number 43 of a limited edition of 150 designed by Tasmanian sculptor Stephen Walker.
Obverse: At centre within border of leaves and nuts, a bust of Banks facing 3/4 left; around, incuse, Sir Joseph Banks 1988 memorial lecture.
Reverse Description: At centre, within border of leaves, H.M.S. Beagle under sail away to right with flower behind and lizard below; around, incuse, THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF TASMANIA.

Stephen Walker

verso-The Royal Society of Tasmania Medal

Produced in 1988 for the Joseph Banks Memorial lecture and features a bust of Banks, the H.M.S. 'Beagle' under sail, and flowers and a lizard.
Obverse: At centre within border of leaves and nuts, a bust of Banks facing 3/4 left; around, incuse, Sir Joseph Banks 1988 memorial lecture.
Reverse Description: At centre, within border of leaves, H.M.S. Beagle under sail away to right with flower behind and lizard below; around, incuse, THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF TASMANIA.
150 medals cast

Bolton Stafford Bird Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC B2
  • Collection
  • 1887-1924

Collection consists of awards including a Royal warrant on parchment, an insignia for the Companion of the Order of St.Michael and St.George, photograph and various newspaper clippings of obituary.

Bolton Stafford Bird

Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania , 1920 pp. 160-181

Kelly, James 1920 , 'First discovery of Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour' , Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania , pp. 160-181 .
The manuscript containing the following account is in the Society's Library at Hobart, and owing to its great historical interest the Council decided to publish same. The Manuscript is in Kelly's handwriting, and apparently was originally contained in two note books which have since been bound together as one. There is, in the Mitchell Library, Sydney, another account of this voyage. It is not in Kelly's handwriting, but is signed by him. The peculiar fact is that this second account commences the voyage on 16th December, 1815, and concludes with the completion of the journey on January 24th. The following account was evidently written some time after the completion of the voyage. As far as a printed copy will permit it is reproduced here exactly as Captain Kelly wrote it.

First discovery of Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour by James Kelly

Hand written manuscript - "Discovery of Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour" and voyage round Tasmania by James Kelly in 1815-1816. N.D. Narrative written and signed by James Kelly entitled "First discovery of Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour by James Kelly".The manuscript is undated but it was written some years after the events described, certainly after 1821, but probably this version was written for publication in the Hobart Town Courier in 1854.

James Kelly

Results 1 to 100 of 7276