Showing 10337 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

7361 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Beattie Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS30
  • Collection
  • 1828-1908

Collection consist of copies of historical manuscripts and some original manuscripts, press cuttings and notes.

John Watt Beattie

Photographs of E.Z. Co. Zinc Works at Risdon

  • AU TAS UTAS ITCCD 2018/6
  • Collection
  • 1920 - 1940

The collection features photographs taken by Hobart photographic studio Beattie’s Studio, also known as J.W. Beattie, for the Electrolytic Zinc Co. at the company’s Risdon smelter between 1920 and 1940. The collection depicts construction of new facilities at the factory complex. The first sod was turned on the zinc smeltering plant at Risdon on the western shore of the Derwent River on 16 November 1916, and a test smelter called the 250 lb plant was opened in 1917 to produce 250 lb of zinc a day using the recently developed Roast-Leach-Electrowin (RLE) process of extracting zinc through electrolysis. Electrolytic Zinc’s office occupied the former Derwent Inn. The larger 10-ton plant opened in January 1918 and the 100-ton plant opened in November, 1921. This collection of photographs depicts the phases of construction of the 100-Ton Plant, further expansion of the smelter and decomissioning of some of the older equipment at the zinc works. Beattie’s Studio was a photographic studio founded by Scotsman John Watt Beattie (1859-1930), who began exhibiting photographs soon after his arrival in Tasmania in 1878.

Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia Limited

Photographs, postcards, prints and drawings

Photographs of Swansea and the East Coast of Tasmania , including some photographs taken by Dr. G.M. Parker, himself, between 1915 and 1950 (some with negatives) and others, including some earlier 19th century photographs and picture postcards, collected by Dr Parker from friends etc.There are also one or two drawings or news cuttings.

George Musgrave Parker

Letter Sir John Franklin in Hobart to Lady Franklin in South Australia

Xerox copy of letter from Sir John Franklin in Hobart to Lady Franklin in South Australia with Governor Gawler :- New year wishes. The colony quiet and prosperous except for the squabbles of lawyers - refers to cases of Gilbert Robertson v. Thomas Mcdonald and Abbot, when Mr. Anstey was roughly handled by the
Attorney General - verdicts farthing in one case and for the defendants in the other. Mr. Jones directed to supervise criminal proceedings at quarter sessions but declined so the Executive Council had been summoned. Mr. Anstey also 'carrying on a correspondence with the Gov. respecting his office' and so Mr. Sorell appointed his successor. Sir John also refers to his proposed visit to Port Arthur, Mr. Henslowe to come in mid-January, Parker's lameness, Government House plans not yet drawn, gardener arrived, Archdeacon Jefferies.

John Franklin

Copies of letters to Dr Turnbull

Typescript copies of letters to Dr Turnbull, 1839-1845. Letters from George Arthur (1839), John Franklin (1844, 1845), including one written from H.M.S. Erebus, and Jane Franklin (1845), relating to Tasmania, mutual friends, politics, Sir John's expedition, the college.

John Franklin

Folder of news clippings relating to the Franklins

Folder of news clippings relating to the Franklins including report of the Arctic expedition searching for Sir John Franklin (1852), poem on death of Franklin, drawing of coronation of Charles 7th by John Franklin, photo of Lady Franklin's piano, article by L.A.Triebel.

John Franklin

Dinner engagement book

Lady Franklin's dinner engagement book for the period 18 January 1837 to 12 August 1843. Listing all guests invited to dinner at Government House.

John Franklin

Copy of a letter from Sir John Franklin to Rev. J Lillee

Copy of a letter from Sir John Franklin to Rev. John Lillie (1806-1866), Presbyterian minister and others, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, dated 9th September 1843 from Hobart Town V D Land he writes on resigning his office " the warmth of your expressions of esteem and attachment at the close of my administration, convince me that I have not altogether failed to justify your generous anticipations, and that at least you have appreciated my zealous endeavours to do my duty."

John Franklin

Franklin Papers: miscellaneous

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS18
  • Collection
  • 1837-1843

Miscellaneous material relating to Franklin and his appointment, the dismissal of Capt. Maconochie. Lady Franklin's dinner engagement book, stereoscopic photograph of Lady Franklin Museum and assorted correspondence

John Franklin

Salmon Ponds at Plenty

Photograph showing the first hatchery building built in 1870 at the Salmon Ponds at Plenty surrounded by landscaped grounds filled with exotic trees.

Olive Pink Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC P6
  • Collection
  • 1931 -1973

Sketches, mainly in pencil and crayon, made by Olive Muriel Pink of flowers found in the north of South Australia, Central and North Australia. The majority were made between June and December 1930, at various places along the railway between Port Augusta and Alice Springs. Later sketches were made in various parts of Australia between 1931 and 1960, but often without a note of the place and date. The sketches were often hurriedly made on pieces of thin, cheap paper, or even pieces of cardboard or brown paper. Some were coloured with crayon and a few, more finished drawings were coloured with watercolours. A later donation was made of books, personal belongings and sketches. A second series was received from the family of Olive Pink in 2016, this series includes Olive Pink's book collection, photographs, paintings, letters, items of clothing and other ephemera and memorabilia, some of which are nationally significant in their own right - such as the book plate made by Adrian Feint, notes and sketches done whilst camping with Daisy Bates, and photographs documenting life in Central Australia.

Olive Pink

The unpublished memoir of Sir Patrick Abercrombie

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/4
  • Collection
  • c1939

The unpublished memoirs of Sir Leslie Patrick Abercrombie, an English town planner, best known for the post-Second World War re-planning of London

Patrick Abercrombie

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2
  • Collection
  • 1827-03-26

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson made by his Excellency Colonel George Arthur Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land on the 26th day of March 1827. Subject to the payment of a yearly quit-rent of two pounds payable on the 31st day of January each year.
31 Campbell Street is the site of the University of Tasmania's major creative industries and performing arts development, 'The Hedberg', adjoining Hobart's historic Theatre Royal on the 'Wapping 4' site. The University of Tasmania opened at the Hedberg in Semester 1, 2020 after almost 10 years in conception, consultation, planning and construction stages. The project was led by Tasmanian firm Liminal Architecture and designed in collaboration with WOHA and Arup.
The significance of the Hedberg site in the heart of Wapping dates to the 1830s, when it was a lively convergence of working-class homes, industry and entertainment. Archaeological work was undertaken in consultation with the Tasmanian Heritage Council, and results from the archaeological investigation informed aspects of the design.
The heritage-listed facade of the Hedberg Brothers Garage on Collins Street is the University of Tasmania entrance at the Hedberg. Built in 1925, it has intrinsic heritage value as an early, unusual and important example of its type.

Colonial Secretary, Van Diemen's Land

George Wilson Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/1
  • Collection
  • 1932 - 1980

Collection consists of rugby memorabilia and other material relating to the life and work of George Wilson, master of Hytten Hall, the University of Tasmania's first residential college

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Franklin Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS16
  • Collection
  • 1838-1923

Letters, diaries and miscellaneous documents relating to both Sir John and Lady Jane Franklin. Many of the papers are only copies (some with omissions). not original, as, according to Rawnsley, after Lady Franklin's death her niece and companion, Sophia Cracroft, selected some papers for publication and had illegible ones copied or extracted and the originals were destroyed. The copies or extracts have been corrected and edited.

John Franklin

Helen Letitia Constance (Dolly) Leake

Papers of Helen Letitia Constance Leake, known as Dolly or occasionally Nellie. Dolly was the third and youngest daughter of C.H. and C.J. Leake, born 27 June 1874, died 11 December 1961.

John Leake

Furneaux Islands Aboriginal Settlement

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS40
  • Collection
  • 1899-1928

Collection of papers regarding Aboriginal settlement, genealogical tables and mutton bird industry on Cape Barren Island and Furneaux Islands. Includes a handwritten article entitled "The Furneaux Islands, their early settlement and some characteristics of their inhabitants"· by Edward William Stephens, State School teacher.

Edward William Stephens

Papers relating to Cape Barren Island

Papers relating to Cape Barren Island 1902 - 1928. Including: correspondence or Captain Bladen concerning the aboriginal reserve 1902-1927, genealogical tables of mixed race people, list of all mixed race people living on the Reserve 1928 and a 'chronological' list of residents in order of age, giving dates of birth, notes, etc.

James M Bladon

The Furneaux Islands, their early settlement and some characteristics of their inhabitants

'The Furneaux Islands, their early settlement and some characteristics of their inhabitants'· by Edward William Stevens, State School teacher and catechist, 1790-1899.
Written for for the Royal Society of Tasmania in 1899. Handwritten article described as being compiled 'from a diary and notes written during many years residence in the islands and compiled at the request of the Right Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania, Launceston, October 16th 1899

Edward William Stephens

Walker Photographs

Photograph collection consists of Walker family photographs and photographs of local Tasmanian scenes. Some unidentified portraits by unknown photographers. Daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, carte de visite, cabinet portraits, stereoscopic views, Hobart streetscapes and Tasmanian scenes

James Backhouse Walker

Girls Industrial School Hobart Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC G3
  • Collection
  • 1862-1945

Collection consists of management committee records, admissions register and accounts of the Girls Industrial School Hobart, also 2 photographs.

Girls Industrial School Hobart

Minutes of Management Committee

Minutes of monthly meetings of the Ladies' Committee of Management dealing with maintenance, welfare, accounts, etc. This collection consists of eleven quarto volumes. These records are the committee records only. There are no personal records of the girls or their background or committal orders. The minutes of the monthly committee meetings dealt with bills, expenses, staff matters and the welfare of the children, and note briefly admissions and decisions on discharge of girls to service or to relatives, if any

  1. June 1862 - Dec. 1878
  2. Jan. 1879 - July 1896
  3. Aug. 1896 - Mar. 1904
  4. Apr. 1904 - Dec. 1910
  5. Jan. 1911 - Apr. 1916
  6. May 1916 - May 1925
  7. June 1925 - Jan. 1929
  8. Feb. 1929 - Mar. 1934
  9. Apr. 1934 - Jan. 1939
  10. Feb. 1939 - Feb. 1943
  11. Mar. 1943 - Feb. 1945

Girls Industrial School Hobart

Marjorie Bligh Photograph Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC PhDig/Bligh
  • Collection
  • 1910-2011

Collection consists of a series of digital photographs taken for an exhibition of Marjorie Bligh's work held at the University of Tasmania, Morris Miller Library in 2011. They include photographs of Marjorie's personal photograph collection and photographs of her handcrafts.

Marjorie Bligh

Photograph of of nine gentleman

Photograph of nine gentlemen, three seated. Photograph named. Back row Thomas Mather, Thomas Binns, Charles H Robey, Lewis May, Robert Mather, N H Propsting. Seated William Wells, J. Francis Mather & William Corben

Friends' School

Photograph Album

Includes photographs of Mr. and Mrs. Clemes and staff, Mrs. Tanner (housekeeper) in lace cap, girls, boys, basketball, tennis, classrooms, assembly hall, laboratory, school picnics.

Friends' School

Photograph of dining room

Photograph of dining room at the Friends' School. In 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of view of Friends' school from front

Photograph of view of school from front. In 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of library

Photograph of library at the Friends School. In 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph Album

Includes Clemes family and pupils on picnic 1891, Mount Wellington bridges, Russell Falls, groups of boys, girls in white dresses, girls' cricket, school and grounds, classroom, dining room, library, laboratory, school hospital (child Dorothea Benson on bench outside), views of Hobart, Brent children on ponies, Bushy Park (including views of hop-picking and mill wheel, Shoobridge girls), Hobart Regatta, ships at wharf, kindergarten with Hettie Fitzsimmon, Friends Picnic 1904.

Friends' School

Photograph of Hobartville and surrounds

1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in
Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of Hobartville

1889 the Friends' school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, Hobart, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of classrooms and gymnasium

Photograph of classrooms and gymnasium. 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photographs

Record of students activities, including diaries, school magazines, speech nights and garden parties. A pictorial record of the spirit and progress of the school is provided by an excellent series of photographs taken by the school photographic club, established and encouraged by some of the early masters. There are many photographs of the staff and pupils, boarders and other Friends on picnic excursions, girls playing cricket, boys playing marbles, sports teams, and views of the school inside and out. Many of the photographs were taken in the 1890s. Some were used to illustrate the school magazine School Echoes, started in 1890, which also contained many contributions from pupils describing school activities and topical events

Friends' School

Friends' School Archive

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC F4
  • Collection
  • 1884-1978

Collection consists of administrative correspondence, annual reports, minutes and financial statements regarding the schools board, and schools administration. Material relating to staff and students including the school magazine, class lists and student activities. Also included are the papers relating to the Hobartville Association from 1888 to 1910 . Also a large collection of early photographs.

Friends' School

Dr George Fordyce Story Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C7
  • Collection
  • 1821-1878

Collection consists of personal papers, medical case notes and accounts, student notes and exercises, botanical papers which include some correspondence with Baron Sir Ferdinand von Mueller, copies of electoral returns etc.

George Fordyce Story

James Kelly Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS99
  • Collection
  • 1834-1844

Written narrative of the discovery of Port Davey and Macquarie Harbour" and voyage round Tasmania by James Kelly in 1815-1816 (undated) also a collection of miscellaneous papers.

James Kelly

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Braeside from the south west

Photograph of Braeside from the South West, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of front view of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph view of arches at the stables, Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of window at Strathelie

Photograph of window at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of doorway at Braeside

Photograph of doorway at Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of front view of Braeside

Photograph of front view of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of the Congregational Church

Photograph of the Congregational Church, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960.
Two churches were established at Broadmarsh, an Anglican church, St Augustine's in 1847 and a Congregational church in1861.
Location 1497 Elderslie Road. The Broadmarsh Uniting (Congregational) Church was built in 1861 on land owned by William Gunn, at ‘Arndell’.

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847

Results 1 to 100 of 10337