Showing 1889 results

Archival description
Australia
Print preview View:

1554 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Henry Hellyer Letter

Copy of a letter from Henry Hellyer to Edward Curr, dated 29 November 1828, describing a journey to Mt. Farrell, the Fury Gorge, Barn Bluff and Cradle Mountain, and the discovery of river Mackintosh and Eldon Range

Henry Hellyer

Jack, native of Cape Grim

Lantern slide of Jack, native of Cape Grim. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Stone house

Photograph of stone house, two storied, pillared front entrance with double steps, apron clad servants standing on steps.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the river

Photograph of Hobart harbor and mountain (snow topped) from river, showing sailing ships, steam ferries. Glossy print, on "cabinet" mount, T. Crawford, Hobart.

James Backhouse Walker

View from West Hobart

Mounted photograph of a view of Hobart from West Hobart, showing the tower of old St. David's Cathedral

James Backhouse Walker

Near Fort Macquarie

Photograph taken "Near Fort Macquarie" Sydney from water, looking at landing steps, and showing row boat, horse and cart, dog, cliffs, steps & distant ships' masts.

James Backhouse Walker

People's Park, Strahan

Photograph of People's Park Strahan, initialed "J M W". Glossy print, amateurishly mounted

James Backhouse Walker

Launceston, Cataract Gorge

Photograph of Launceston, Cataract Gorge, with railed walkway, glossy print numbered 49 and stamped D'Emden

James Backhouse Walker

Cataract Gorge, Launceston

Photograph of Launceston, Cataract Gorge, with railed walkway, glossy print numbered 35 and stamped D'Emden

James Backhouse Walker

Bothwell township

Photograph of a distant view of Bothwell, Tasmania. Stamped on back "Wilkinson Chemist, Hobart Town), and ms. "Bothwell Township, Tasmania, J B W".

James Backhouse Walker

St. John's burial ground

Photograph of St. John's burial ground, church in distance (with steeple) Richmond, Tasmania

James Backhouse Walker

Mount Bischoff

Photograph of the Mount Bischoff in the early days, undated but thought to be c1885-1890

James Backhouse Walker

Gormanston

Photograph thought to be the town of Gormanston c1885-90

James Backhouse Walker

Waratah

Photograph of the town of Waratah, Tasmania (visited by J B Walker 1887) c1878-88

James Backhouse Walker

Sarah Island

Photograph of Sarah Island, convict settlement. Photographed "from a watercolour in the possession of James B Walker, made by a prisoner at the settlement and given to George Washington Walker on his visit
there in the year 1832" (endorsed ms by? J B Walker)

James Backhouse Walker

Port Davey

Photograph taken of Port Davey, South West Tasmania landing from a boat, dated 28th August 1898

James Backhouse Walker

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Fire place and mantel on rear wall.

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Honour board on wall.

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Library workroom

One small black and white photograph of Library workroom at Domain House taken in November 1960. Staff identified as J. Reynolds

University of Tasmania

University Library Photographs

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC UT112-11
  • Collection
  • 1952-1969

Collection consists of various black and white photographic views of the interior and of the staff of the University of Tasmania Library at Domain House, Hobart also at the Morris Miller Library, Sandy Bay

University of Tasmania

Letters from Charles Arthur to John Clark

Letters to John Clark (1807 - 1853) son of William Clark from Charles Arthur (1808-1884), nephew and ADC of Governor George Arthur, dated 1827 - 1829, 1840.
Personal letters including references to Col. Arthur - displeasure at late night adventures (21.4.28, 11.12.29), rumours of recall; Dr Browne's contributions to Advertiser; Kemp - "that dammed old fool"; marriage of Bothwell Police Magistrate to nymph not yet 16 Jenny Read; Capt. Donaldson; Debating Society; death of Dr. Coleman; ship "Prince Regent" stuck on sand near Iron Pot; convicts' capture of "Cyprus"; his appointment as A.D.C. to uncle Col. Arthur and description of uniform (10 Oct. 1829); Duke of Wellington's duel; Tasmanian society: dinners, dances, shooting quail at Pittwater, the "Jewess".

https://eprints.utas.edu.au/36250/

William Clark

William & John Clark Family Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS8
  • Collection
  • 1812-1887

The William and John Clark Papers are a record of a settler family in Tasmania. They include papers concerning the management of the Cluny property, a few papers relating to Bothwell and John Clark's correspondence concerning his work as a magistrate. There are also letters to John Clark from William Barnes (1791 ?-1848). brewer of Launceston, 1829-1839; Matthew Curling Friend of Newnham, Port Officer
at George Town, 1833-1841, and from Charles Arthur (1808-1884), nephew of and Aide-de-Camp to Lt.
Governor George Arthur, 1827-1829. There are also letters from British army officers' wives and daughters addressed to Jane Clark. Also included are papers relating to the Weston Family, Ann (neeClark) and William Pritchard Weston

William Clark

Letter from Michael Maxwell Shaw

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS66
  • Collection
  • 1869

Letter from Michael Maxwell Shaw dated 7 July 1869 to William Boyer about the 'Castra' settlement - "I think that a society of gentlemen at Castra would do much to establish a sound tone of feeling and manners through the island". He also describes
his own home 'Deans Point' La Trobe, formerly a coal mine and good dairy land.

Michael Maxwell Shaw

George Fordyce Story

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS41
  • Collection
  • 1867-1875

Two volumes of meteorological observations made by Dr. Story at Kelvedon, Great Swanport and letter from patient M.A. Wilson, of Swansea.

George Fordyce Story

George Meredith: Diary

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS34
  • Collection
  • 1821

Collection consists of a diary and memoranda book, typed copies of the diary and some correspondence.

George Meredith

Diary 1879

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1879. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1878

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1878. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1877

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1877. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1876

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1876. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1875

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania -1875. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1874

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1874. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1872-1873

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania from January 1872 - December 1873. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1891

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1891. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1870-1872

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania from June 1st 1870 to January 19th 1872. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1889

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1882. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1881

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1881. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1880

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1880. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Diary 1866-1868 & 1869-1870

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania from November 12th 1866 to June 20th 1868 and from July 13 1869 to May 31st 1870. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Mitchell Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS32
  • Collection
  • 1833-1945

Collection consists of scrapbooks, diaries, correspondence and other ephemeral material created, collected and collated by Sarah E.E. Mitchell over her lifetime.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

Hull Family

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS102
  • Collection
  • 1874-1940

Draft assessment roll for municipality of Glenorchy and reminiscences of T.J.M. Hull, 1940, about the 'Great Flood' of Glenorchy in 1872

Hull Family

Edward le Rossignol: Scrip certificates

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC R9
  • Collection
  • 1881-1891

This collection is comprised of scrip certificates of shares issued to Edward le Rossignol of New Town in Tasmanian mines: Royal Mint Gold Mining Company, North Mount Cameron; Savage River Silver Prospecting Company; City Prospecting Association, West Coast; Sunrise Prospecting Association; Godkin Silver Mining Co., Whyte River Tasmania; New Waverly Gold Mining Co., Lefroy, Tasmania; South Oceana Silver Mining Co. , Zeehan.

Edward le Rossignol

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847

Photograph of Braeside from the south west

Photograph of Braeside from the South West, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of front view of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph view of arches at the stables, Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of window at Strathelie

Photograph of window at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of doorway at Braeside

Photograph of doorway at Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of front view of Braeside

Photograph of front view of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of the Congregational Church

Photograph of the Congregational Church, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960.
Two churches were established at Broadmarsh, an Anglican church, St Augustine's in 1847 and a Congregational church in1861.
Location 1497 Elderslie Road. The Broadmarsh Uniting (Congregational) Church was built in 1861 on land owned by William Gunn, at ‘Arndell’.

Petalostylis labicheoides

Coloured pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Near Granites, Northern Territory, no date. Identified by Olive Pink as Petalostylis labicheoides "Mulga Plain Country"

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Coloured pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Tortanga Quatcha, Northern Territory 4/12/30. Not identified by Olive Pink - some of original plant material attached - flower head

Olive Pink

Sida

Coloured pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Tortanga Quatcha, Northern Territory 1/12/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Sida

Olive Pink

Results 1 to 100 of 1889