Collection RS138 - Tombstones in St. David's cemetery

Index to RS138

Identity area

Reference code



Tombstones in St. David's cemetery


  • 1922 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

1 file - typed list

Context area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Established 1804 as the burial ground for the settlement of Hobart Town, and for many years the only one. It was closed in 1872 after the establishment of Cornelian Bay. After sitting unused for fifty years, it was converted to a park in the 1920s. Some of the larger tombs remain in situ but all the other headstones were removed. The surviving stones have been built into memorial walls at the south-eastern end of the park.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Typed list of tombstones in St. David's cemetery, Hobart (St. David's Park) dated 1922

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion





Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places