- 1866-1943 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
John Wilson (1842-1912), ship-wright, served an apprenticeship with Colin Walker, boat builder of Gardners Bay, who built the Huon Belle in 1866. Wilson established his own boat building yard at Martins Point where his first ship "Good Intent" was built in 1877. John Wilson and his sons, Walter and Sydney built many well known sailing ketches and schooners and some steam and oil engine powered vessels, including the ketch One and All for Andrewartha in 1878, Leilateah (McDougall's 1891), Birngana (1893), Lenna (1903 Risby's), Lottah, Stanley and the Alice (1904), Doris and Rooganah (100 ton 3 masted schooner) for Jones & Co. The last ship built by John Wilson was the ketch Lialeeta for T.H. Spaulding launched in 1913.
John Wilson and his wife, Dinah, had 4 sons and 3 daughters and lived at "Brightside", Cygnet. He was known as a wit and composed humorous verse, as did some younger members of the family.
For mor information see: http://www.utas.edu.au/library/companion_to_tasmanian_history/W/Wilson%20shipbuilders.htm
Name of creator
Walter Wilson was a designer and artist. Walter and his brother Sydney worked with their father, John Wilson at Wilson and Sons, boat builders. They built many well known sailing ketches and schooners and some steam and oil engine powered vessels. After John's death in 1912 Walter and Sydney carried on the business. Walter and his wife had several children, including Clifton, who assisted the boat building.
Name of creator
Wilson and Sons, shipbuilders, was founded by John Wilson (1842–1912), who began building wooden boats in 1863, at his home in Cygnet. The first boat was the Huon Belle, launched in 1864.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Deposited by Miss E. Cato 1967
Content and structure area
Scope and content
List of ships built and for whom, from Huon Belle built in 1866 by Colin Walker for whom John Wilson worked, Good Intent the first ship built by John Wilson at Martins Point in 1877, One and All, ketch built for Andrewartha in 1878, Birngana, Lottah, Ronnie, Rooganah, etc. to Derwent Hunter built for A.J. Drysdale 1843.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open for research
Conditions governing reproduction
This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au
When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
CE September 2018