Collection RS20 - John Walker Collection

Index to RS20

Identity area

Reference code



John Walker Collection


  • 1837-1878 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

8 bound volumes

Context area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Walker arrived in Hobart Town on September 1822 aboard the "Heroine". By his own account he was 'penniless and unfriended'. Within a month he was appointed superintendent of the government flour-mill on the Hobart Town Rivulet. Next year he received a grant of 200 acres (81 ha) and in 1824 built a mill at Richmond. Thanks to convict labour he had five prosperous years, increased his capital to £2000 and received a maximum land grant of 2560 acres (1036 ha). Moving to Launceston in 1830, he built a mill at the foot of the Cataract Hill. Back in Hobart he bought the government flour-mill together with its attached residence in Barrack Street and opened a brewery. By adding a steam-engine he greatly increased his milling business and extended his activities to commerce, whaling, shipping and insurance. He became a local director of the Bank of Australasia and of the Bank of Van Diemen's Land. He also helped to form the Derwent Bank and as managing director had to act as its liquidator in 1850. He was also commissioned to wind up the Tasmanian interests of Lieutenant-Governor (Sir) George Arthur. As his assets increased Walker acquired the estates of Belmont and Shawfield on the River Ouse and Clarendon on the Derwent where he opened another flour-mill. For more information see:

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Presented to the Royal Society by Mrs C.N. Atkins and A.D. Goodfellow (having been found on premises
in Barrack Street, formerly occupied by Walker's mill)

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Collection consists of various Walker Mill records including ledgers, sales journals and day book. Also included is a cashiers day book for the Derwent Bank. John Walker was the liquidator of the bank.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Some other records of Walkers Mill and brewery were transferred to the State Archives on indefinite loan by the Royal Society on 8 June 1961 (NS 37)

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

HE Apr.2020




Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places