Item 164-168 - James Grant snr. to John Meredith

Identity area

Reference code



James Grant snr. to John Meredith


  • 1851-1865 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

5 letters

Context area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Son of George and Mary Ann (Evans) Meredith born at Great Swanport, Tasmania on 31 October 1822 and he died at Swansea, Tasmania on 13 February 1909. He was elected to the House of Assembly for the first time on 8 June 1861 for Glamorgan, in November 1862 for Deloraine, in June 1865 for Ringwood and in October 1866 for Glamorgan again. His departure from the House of Assembly was March 1871, after nearly 10 years as a M.H.A. elected as the President of the Glamorgan Agricultural Association at its inception. He promoted the interests of the district of Greater Swanport respecting the erection of wharves for transport of agricultural products to market .

Name of creator


Biographical history

James Grant was the son of James and Margaret Grant of Nairn, Scotland. James Grant (1786-1870) and his wife Caroline ( -1868), daughter of John Neve of Tenterden, Kent, U.K.) arrived in Tasmania by the "Heroine" in April 1824, following his brother John who had arrived in January 1823, as a merchant, partner in Grant and Bethune. John Grant obtained adjoining land grants for himself and his brother and James arranged to send merino sheep, seed, harness, etc. for him and also arranged for farm labouring families to emigrate as servants. However John moved to Sydney for his health and died there in 1825 leaving his property to James. James named his property Tullochgorum. For some years he lived mainly in Hobart acting as Lloyds' agent, of his Hobart homes being "Cottage Green", but he visited his property regularly and established a home and sheep run there.
James and Caroline Grant had two children, James (1823-1890) and Rose (1831-1905)
and several other babies who died.
A friend, James Meers Hammond (1797-1830), son of William Hammond, ironrnonger of London, and Eliza (Mitchell), accompanied the Grants to Tasmania. He
also received a grant of land in the Fingal Valley but lost it through absence when he returned to England in 1826-8 and again 1828-9. He died in 1830 and his wife, Eliza (King) and an infant daughter died in 1831 (the 2 eldest children, Tom and Rachel, having died earlier) leaving a four year old orphaned daughter Maria, who was adopted as their foster daughter by James and Caroline Grant. James Grant appealed to Governor Arthur on behalf of little Maria and she was granted 1000 acres in the Avoca district named Melrose, which she held until she died in 1912. James Hammond's brother, Thomas Mitchell Hammond (1795-1854), a surgeon of Brixton U.K., married Caroline Grant's sister, Maria Neve (1794-1826) in April 1824. They had a son, Thomas Montague, in 1826 before Maria died. Thomas later married Ellen Demain and had 6 other children (Horatio, Ellen, Percy, Sydney, Matilda, Emily). Thomas Montague (called Montague) Hammond (1826-1860) was consumptive and travelled to Tasmania for his health with his cousin James Grant, who had been in England to attend a London College. The Grants' son, James (1823-1890) married Charlotte Mary Thomas (? 1823-1875), daughter of Jocelyn and Charlotte (Partridge) Thomas of Northdown in 1851 and settled first at Garth, part of Grant's property, and Melrose until their house was burnt down and then at Tullochgorum, and they had children: James Henry (Harry), Edward (Ted), Katherine Mary (Kate), Wallace Partridge, Edith Caroline, Franklin Stanhope and Herbert. Charlotte died in 1875 and James later married Miss Cobham. Rose Grant (1831-1905) married her cousin (Thomas) Montague Hammond (1826-1860) in 1853 and had 4 children: Caroline Mary (Lina), Rose Katherine, Jessie Harriet and a boy who died in infancy. They lived at Emley Park, Balian, Victoria until Montague's death in 1860, when Rose and her children returned to Tullochgorum. She later moved to Launceston and finally settled in Victoria.

Maria Hammond (1827-1912) married John Meredith (see above) and her daughter, Jessie Rosina (1863-1944), married her cousin Franklin Grant (1860-1926), son of James and Charlotte, who had settled in Queensland. A sister of James Grant sen., Alice C. married a Mr Wallace, and settled at Elderslie near Geelong. A nephew of James Hammond, Edward Pilgrim, a medical practitioner, son of Elizabeth Hammond and Edward William Pilgrim, came to Australia in 1853 and after practising in Victoria near his cousin he moved to Fingal, Tasmania, and later Swansea.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Deposited by Mrs W V G Johnson Queensland 1962 & 1964 .
Also donated separately in May 2006 by Ian and Caroline Mackersey of Auckland New Zealand, photocopy of 'Memoir
of the late George Meredith' by his son, Edwin Meredith

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Correspondence between James Grant senior and John Meredith written between 1851 and 1856. James Grant of Tullochgorurn: aprroved of John Meredith's choice of Maria Hammond who had been under his guardianship from infancy although she had relatives in Hobart but not necessary to communicate with them (1851); management of Tulloch gorum, Garth and Melrose, cape barley (1852); James junior may become tenant of Tullochgorum-at present away at North Down (1856)

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Available for research

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact

When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at :

Existence and location of originals

Other Meredith papers which remained at Cambria until it was sold were deposited in the Archives Office of Tasmania (State Archves) by Miss Violet Mace in 1965 (including some which had previously been lent to the University). The Meredith (Mace) papers include further family correspondence similar to the Meredith (Johnson) papers and also include papers relating to the property, house plans, accounts, etc.
They also include Hammond/Grant papers relating to J.M. Hammond's property and Maria Hammond. NG123 MEREDITH FAMILY

A few odd papers were given to the Royal Society of Tasmania by various members of the family.
These include three letters of Louisa Ann (Twamley) Meredith (RS.33), a memoranda book of George
Meredith 1821 (RS.34) and two letters of George Meredith (RS.34,35).

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

HE Jan 2018




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places