Item 9 - Insignia: Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George

Boxed insignia Insignia side 1 Insignia side 2 Grant of Dignity

Identity area

Reference code



Insignia: Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George


  • 1920 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

1 document + boxed insignia

Context area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Bolton Stafford Bird (1840-1924) was elected a member of the Tasmanian House of Assembly for Franklin in 1887, and served as Treasurer under P.O. Fysh until 1892, also acting as Postmaster General and Minister for Education. He represented Tasmania at the Federal Council of 1889 and the Federal Conventions of 1890 and 1891. From 1892 to 1894 he was Leader of the Opposition and Speaker from 1894-1897. He was again Treasurer 1899-1903. From 1909 until he retired in 1923 he was a member of the Legislative Council.

Stafford Bird was born at Hazlerigg, Northumberland, England, son of a schoolmaster Thomas Bird and his wife Ann (Stafford). His parents emigrated to Clunes, Victoria, in 1852. In 1865 Bird was admitted to the Wesleyan ministry, but changed to the Congregational Church in 1867 and was minister at Ballarat and Avoca, Victoria, until 1874 when he went to the Hobart Congregational Church, Davey Street. After three years he resigned through ill health and bought a farm, “Waterloo” and planted an apple orchard and was active in local affairs. He lost the farm when a lottery was held of properties mortgaged to the Bank of Van Diemen's Land which went bankrupt in 1891. It was won by Hedley Calvert, a retired sea captain from Sydney. Bird moved to a small farm at Lunawanna, Bruny Island, with his family. He had married in 1867 Helen, daughter of Robert Chisholm of Auckland (formerly of the Glasgow and Edinburgh Bank), and had a son, a mining surveyor; and two daughters, Ann Stafford (Mrs Smair, later Mrs. A.H. Garnsey) and Mrs. Weatherley. For more information see

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Deposited by Mrs. A.H. Garnsey in the State Archives 1952, transferred to the University Library 1954

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George bestowed 1 January 1920 also warrant granting the dignity of C.M.G. to B.S. Bird, accompanying letter, notification and the insignia (in jeweller's box), with typed note on how it should be worn.
The Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George is a British order of chivalry founded on 28th April 1818 by George, Prince Regent, later King George IV, while he was acting as regent for his father, King George Ill. It is named in honour of two military saints, St Michael and St George. Originally awarded to those holding commands or high position in the Mediterranean territories acquired in the Napoleonic Wars, it was subsequently extended to holders of similar office or position in other territories of the British Empire. It is awarded to men and women who hold high office or who render extraordinary or important non-military service in a foreign country, and can also be conferred for important or loyal service in relation to foreign and Commonwealth affairs.
The only insignia used by all members of the Order, this badge is a seven-armed, white-enamelled 'Maltese Asterisk'. The obverse shows St Michael tram­pling on Satan, while the reverse shows St George on horseback killing a dragon -both within a dark blue ring bearing the· Order's motto of Auspicium melioris cevi (Latin for 'Token of a better age').

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Housed in padded box, insignia has two sides and a ribbon

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

November 2017 PP




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places