Mostrar 282 resultados

Descrição arquivística
Sub-item
Previsualizar a impressão Ver:

237 resultados com objetos digitais Mostrar resultados com objetos digitais

Affectionate remembrance of Sarah Benson Mather

Mourning card and printed texts for Sarah Benson Mather, second daughter of R. Andrew and Ann Mather, who died in Hobart Town, on the 12th of 3rd month ,1875 aged 28 years and 10 months. Sarah Benson Mather passed away in the early morning, just as the cocks began to crow. The text which heads these verses was deeply impressed on the minds around her.

Mill on New Town Creek

Photograph of Old Mill at New Town Creek showing creek, buildings and mill wheel. Mt Wellington in distance

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking south

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking south along Barrack Street toward St Georges Hill, Battery Point

James Backhouse Walker

Waterfall Bay to Cape Huay

Panorama from Waterfall Bay to Cape Huay on the Tasman Peninsula. The photographer is John Watt Beattie.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart waterfront

View of Hobart waterfront c.1880 showing docks, carts, ships at anchor and woodyard

Captain Kelly's house

Lantern slide of Captain Kelly's house, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Photograph of electric tram car

Photograph of an electric tram car in Hobart, about 1893, thought to be travelling along Macquarie Street. Advertising Lester Brothers Family Grocers. Wertheim sewing machines, Pear's soap, Cascade ale & J.W. Beattie, Photographer.

Notes relating to economic background in U.K.

Notes compiled by A.L. Meston, mainly relating to the economic background in U.K. which affected foundation of Van Diemens Land Company

Archibald Lawrence Meston

View from Government House

Photograph of view from Government House looking over a vegetable garden and orchard which could either be in the Government House or Botanical Gardens grounds with the River Derwent and Mt. Direction in the background.

Campbell & Minchin building

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, corner Elizabeth and Bathurst street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill with Hawthorn Cottage in the foreground and Bishopscourt - Garden Crescent and Davey Street Chapel in the background (according to notes on the reverse). The photographer was the Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Tasmanian Temperance Alliance

Photograph of the first Tasmanian Temperance Alliance building, Macquarie Street Hobart

Henry Hall Baily

Austin's Old Inn

Photograph of Austins Ferry, Hobart, Tasmania, with Austin's old Inn to the right. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Launceston from Windmill Hill

Photograph of Launceston from Windmill Hill looking north taken in c1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Huts on Huon Road under snow

Photograph of Huon Road near Fern Tree Inn, Hobart, Tasmania, in about 1882 showing clearing and huts under snow

James Backhouse Walker

New Town and Mt. Direction

Photograph of New Town and Mt. Direction, Hobart, Tasmania from the hill above Beaulieu. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891..

Alfred Winter

Hobart from the top of Murray Street

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from the top of Murray St in about 1876 according to notes on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Travel to Tasmania

Documents relating to the Sansoms' travel to Tasmania on the Orion in 1950 including their formal application for a passage on the ship and medical testimonials supporting this.

Clive Sansom

Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers

Photograph of the Emporium of Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers established in 1826, situated on the corner of Watchorn and Liverpool Street Hobart, taken in 1881. The photographers were Anson Brothers Portrait and Landscape Photographers Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Port Arthur

Thought to be a photograph of dwellings at Port Arthur

Commercial Bank

Photograph of the Commercial Bank, Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street in c1877 after old St. Davids Cathedral was pulled down. The photograph is attributed to Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, Elizabeth street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

In memoriam Hannah Maria Benson

Folded memorial card with black margins. In loving memory of Hannah Maria, widow of the rev. Samuel Benson M.A. Chaplin of St. Saviour’s Southwark who died February 18th, 1882 aged 73 years. Interred at Norwood Cemetery, grave number 18495

Notes on an incident

Notes on an incident when aboriginal women were killed at Emu Bay. Includes copy of letter from G.A. Robinson to Rev. William Bedford, 1829-1832.

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Sullivans Cove from Battery Point

Photograph taken from Battery Point of Sullivans Cove. Taken from a garden with fountain in the foreground. Dated about 1876 and taken by photographer Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Launceston Town Hall

Photograph of the Town Hall in Launceston, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

View from the Botanical Gardens

Photograph of view from the Botanical Gardens, Hobart, Tasmania in about 1880. Three Norfolk Island pines dominate the foreground and the view looks out to the River Derwent and Eastern Shore. The photographers were Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Old University building

Photograph of the old University building (Domain House) on Queen's Domain, Hobart, Tasmania, c. 1890s.

River Tamar from Cataract Hill

Photograph of the River Tamar in Launceston from Cataract Hill. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Huts on Huon Road

Photograph of Huon Road near Fern Tree Inn, Hobart, Tasmania, in about 1872 showing clearing and huts

James Backhouse Walker

Government House from the bay

Photograph of Government House Hobart taken from the bay below the Queen's Domain, c.1890s. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Sullivans Cove and Hunter Island

Photograph of Sullivans Cove and Hunter Island taken from the eastern end of Salamanca with garden in the foreground and two ships alongside the wharf. c.1880

Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill, Battery Point. Showing St Georges Church and James Luckman's windmill probably taken in the 1870s.

James Backhouse Walker

Commercial Bank

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street c. 1870. Some of Franklin Square on left Commercial Bank on right. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Two prose pieces

Two prose pieces by Sansom: 'A Discussion of Ministry' and 'Sermon in Stones and Trivia on Everything, or Mr Pearsall Smith visits his Chiropodist -a parody'.

Clive Sansom

Mourning card Isabella Mather

Mourning card constructed from heavy card-stock, and made up of an intricate formal design that is cut and embossed. Black margin surrounding card and envelope. Also black bordered printed insert “Lines on the death of Isabella, the beloved wife of Mr John Mather, and second daughter of Mr Abraham Biggs, who departed this life on the 14th June, 1863 aged 30 years and 9 monthe. Her end was peace.

Notes on the V.D.L. Co. & aborigines

Loose leaf Notebook containing notes on the Van Diemen's Land Company & aborigines

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern Slide of plan of early Hobart Town, from a survey done in 1804-1805, showing later alterations. The plan also appears in James Backhouse Walker's paper 'The Founding of Hobart, by Lieut.-Governor Collins' read to the Royal Society of Tasmania 14/10/1889. In this he describes the plan, "I am indebted to my friend Mr. Mault for a beautifully executed plan, which shows very clearly the original features of the ground, and the position of the first camp, and also indicates the alterations which have since taken place. It is taken from a survey made by Surveyor-General Harris in 1804-5. The original plan was discovered many years ago in the Lands Office at Sydney, and was presented by the New South Wales Government to our Lands Department. The Deputy- Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. Albert Reid, kindly presented me with a tracing of it."
Lantern slide thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Murray Street, above Liverpool Street intersection

Photograph of Murray Street, taken from above the Liverpool Street intersection, Hobart, in about 1880. Webb's Hotel and Alexander McGregor's house, Lenna, are visible in the distance. Also shows Bishopsbourne Photographic studo; Ready & Mulcahy Drapers & Clothiers; Head and Plowman Baby Linen Warehouse Millinery & Underclothing ; Burgess & Barrett Provision merchants, Tea Dealers ; Bidencope Tailor & Hatter; J. Roberts Billiard & Coffee Saloon

Westella

Photograph of Elizabeth Street, Hobart, looking towards the harbour with Westella and the Memorial Congregational Church in the foreground. Taken prior to The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Port Arthur from behind the church

Photograph of Port Arthur from behind the church with ship in the harbour, taken by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Hobart Regatta Grandstand from the water

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta grandstand taken from the water in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston, Tasmania from 1900-1913.

Albert Sargeant

New Town from Swan Hill

Photograph of New Town, Tasmania in the snow from Russell Young's Beaulieu (Swans Hill) taken on the morning of 16th June 1882. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Miscellaneous items

Miscellaneous items including
• freehand sketches of Sansom and John Bradford,
• photograph of Sansom on board ship,
• Christmas card from 'Mother',
• invitation from St John's Infant School to attend the crowning of the May Queen,
• photograph of a building named 'Green Gates',
• printed Christmas card from the Sansoms that contains Sansom' s poem 'Carol of Three'.

Clive Sansom

New Norfolk

Photograph of New Norfolk, Tasmania from the opposite side of the river. Showing the town and bridge.

Henry Hall Baily

Government House from the Queen's Domain

Photograph of Government House, Hobart taken from the Queen's Domain, c. 1890s. A note on the reverse says 'after railway'. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

New Town from the Orphan School grounds

Photograph from the Orphan School grounds, New Town, Tasmania c.1870s. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Hobart view to the east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of an elevated view of Hobart looking east taken near Browne Street, (about 1876, according to a note on the reverse). Warwick Street in the foreground. Photographed by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Photographs: Miscellaneous & postcards

• A studio portrait of an unknown lady - an old photograph probably of a forebear.
• Two photographs of unidentified individuals, one annotated 'Tiesie Austria'.
• Postcard of Reigate Wray Common Windmill.
• Postcard of Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau.
• Pictorial folding letter card of scenes from Reigate.
• Two postcards of Reigate.
• Seven postcards of Winchmore Hill.
• Photograph of the cover designed for the Argo recording of ‘The Witnesses’.
• Envelope containing negatives of photographs.

Clive Sansom

Webb's Hotel from front

Photograph of Webb's Hotel, later Hadley's, Murray Street, Hobart, Tasmania, in about 1880. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Public Buildings Launceston

Photograph of the Public Buildings in Launceston, Tasmania. The Criterion Hotel is in the background. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Hobart Railway Station

Photograph of Hobart from the Queen's Domain with the railway station in the foreground, c. 1881. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Queenborough, Sandy Bay

Photograph of Queenborough, Sandy Bay, Tasmania, c.1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart, looking west in about 1870. The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel are in the foreground. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Salamanca and Hobart waterfront

Photograph of Hobart waterfront - Salamanca looking towards Customs House. Could be around 1870. Photograph appears to have been taken in front of the warehouses near the wharf with ships alongside and a shingle roofed wooden building in the foreground.

Miscellaneous notes and letters

Miscellaneous notes and letters relating to the search for accommodation. Letter from Sansom to the Editor of Poetry Review on the subject of poetry and beauty (14/11/40) and one from an unidentified writer [perhaps either Rodney Bennett or Robert Gittings?] on the teaching of oral English and Keats's connection with Dorset (5/12/61).

Clive Sansom

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart. In 1881 the proprietor was Mr J. C. Hadley . The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Cascade Brewery

Photograph of the Cascade Brewery buildings from behind, Hobart, Tasmania. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose studios were located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Eastern end of Macquarie Street

Photograph of the eastern end of Macquarie Street showing the trees on the edge of Franklin Square and horse drawn carriages.

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Photographs: Sansoms with other people

Seven photographs show either one or both of the Sansoms with Walter Stiasny and his wife, with members of the London verse speaking choir at a choir reunion in London in 1961 and with other groups of unidentified people.

Clive Sansom

Port Arthur from behind the church and doctor's house

Photograph of the settlement of Port Arthur from behind the church and Doctor's house c. 1880. View of vegetable gardens in foreground. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Henry Hall Baily

Battery Point from Sandy Bay

Photograph of Battery Point from Sandy Bay, Tasmania, with St. Helena, later Wrest Point, in foreground, St Georges Church in the distance, c.1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Cascades' Female Factory from the rear

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory from the rear showing yards with washing and horse. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Photograph of Ireland's Collegiate School

Photograph of Davey Street, Hobart, looking west, in about 1870, showing Ireland's Collegiate School for boys and the Congregational Church in the foreground. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Macquarie Street, Hobart from Mercury Office

Photograph of north Macquarie Street from the Mercury office (with verandah) corner Macquarie and Argyle Street. Showing the Hobart Town Hall, Franklin Square and the Treasury buildings. Photographed byy Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets. Taken before September 25 1866, as this is the date of the grand opening of the Town Hall, shown on the left-hand side of the photograph

Anson Brothers

Webb's Hotel

Photograph of Webb's Hotel, later Hadley's, Murray Street, Hobart, in about 1877. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Spiceland Training Centre

Letters and documents about Spiceland Training Centre. Circulars outlining the purpose of the Centre. Sansom' s application to undertake a training course at the Centre. Two letters from the Centre's Warden and typed extracts from 'The Fifty-Fifth Column' the Centre's newsletter compiled by the residents (including Sansom). Further letters from Sansom to the Labour Exchange, Chipping Norton, to 'Peter' describing Spicelands Centre building and the daily routines, and to Mr Foulis about LAMDA matters. Two letters from Jonathon Field to Sansom about plans to jointly operate a market garden at 'Tinker's Orchard'.

Clive Sansom

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart in about 1881. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

New Norfolk

Photograph of New Norfolk, Tasmania, c. 1880 from the opposite side of the River Derwent. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Hobart Town from the Queen's Domain

Photograph of Hobart Town, Tasmania, from the Queen's Domain, looking down Macquarie Street in the 1850s. This photograph appears on page 27 of Allan Sierp's 'Colonial Life in Tasmania: Fifty Years of Photography 1855-1905' (Rigby, 1976)

Wilmot Terrace

Photograph of Wilmot Terrace, Harrington Street (Sandy Bay Road) showing grandmother Mathers house, the furthest in the terrace.

Alfred Winter

Resultados 1 a 100 de 282