Showing 7 results

Archival description
University of Tasmania -- History Text With digital objects
Print preview View:

College Prospectus and Library Catalogue

College Prospectus, printed by Elliston, Collins Street, Hobart Town and dated 1848. Includes note of nature and advantages of a college, steps taken by Bishop, subscribers, trustees, Hutchins & Launceston Church Grammar schools, scholarships, Franklin Museum; Also bound into this volume is the Catalogue of the Christ's College Library, in the Diocese of Tasmania parts one & two.
Pat one lists books by subject, part two list books by author.

University of Tasmania

Letters Patent of the University of Tasmania

Parchment document bound with green ribbon and sealed with red wax. Letters Patent of King George V granting recognition throughout the Kingdom, empire and Dominions of degrees conferred by the University of Tasmania in Arts, Science, Law, Medicine, Music and all branches of knowledge except Theology

University of Tasmania

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2
  • Collection
  • 1827-03-26

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson made by his Excellency Colonel George Arthur Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land on the 26th day of March 1827. Subject to the payment of a yearly quit-rent of two pounds payable on the 31st day of January each year.
31 Campbell Street is the site of the University of Tasmania's major creative industries and performing arts development, 'The Hedberg', adjoining Hobart's historic Theatre Royal on the 'Wapping 4' site. The University of Tasmania opened at the Hedberg in Semester 1, 2020 after almost 10 years in conception, consultation, planning and construction stages. The project was led by Tasmanian firm Liminal Architecture and designed in collaboration with WOHA and Arup.
The significance of the Hedberg site in the heart of Wapping dates to the 1830s, when it was a lively convergence of working-class homes, industry and entertainment. Archaeological work was undertaken in consultation with the Tasmanian Heritage Council, and results from the archaeological investigation informed aspects of the design.
The heritage-listed facade of the Hedberg Brothers Garage on Collins Street is the University of Tasmania entrance at the Hedberg. Built in 1925, it has intrinsic heritage value as an early, unusual and important example of its type.

Colonial Secretary, Van Diemen's Land

1947 Orientation Handbook

Pages from the Handbook that detail the site plan and floor plan of Domain House, University of Tasmania. As published in the 1947 University Orientation Handbook.

Tasmania University Union

1949 Orientation Handbook

Pages from the Handbook that detail the site plan and floor plan of Domain House, University of Tasmania. As published in the 1949 University Orientation Handbook. Key to buildings and rooms provided by Peter Freeman, Heritage Architect

Tasmania University Union

Photograph of Christ's College, (High School building) Domain

Sepia photograph of a group of boys and masters outside the college door, including small boys, some in sailor suits holding straw "boater" hats.
Photo by Wherrett & McGuffie, mounted.
Some names written on back, including Alic Cruickshank, Cyril James, A Murray, B. Hunt (master), Max Stephens, Reynolds, Gosnell (master), R. Stourton, Lilley.