Showing 5200 results

Archival description
Text
Print preview View:

5200 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Family reminiscences

" Whence my Family" - Family reminiscences by James Backhouse Walker (handwritten in block copy, New Testament cover) and compact disc containing scan of original and photographs of the Walker Family ( W9/Ph 153 - blue album)

James Backhouse Walker

View of the brig 'Harriot'

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L4-2
  • Item
  • c1806
  • Part of Lane Papers

View of the brig 'Harriot', Benjamin Lane commander chased onshore near Calais at 6am by his BMS the 'Misqueter' of 18 guns on 30 January 1806. Water colour sketch showing two ships sailing; one carrying guns and flying the British blue ensign, and the other unarmed nearer the shore and some of the crew apparently about to land by rowing boat. Harbour and gun battery and houses in the background. Signed 'B. Lane, Great Yarmouth'. Note in corner: Verdun.

Benjamin Lane

Captain Benjamin Lane's notebook of lessons

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L4-1
  • Item
  • 1807-1813
  • Part of Lane Papers

The volume was prepared while Lane was a prisoner of war of the French and apparently occupied himself in studying and teaching other prisoners. It contains French grammar (noted as completed 7 March 1812), exercises on Mr. Porney's grammar (noted as completed 29 February 1812), mathematical examples and problems, stocks and shares, chronology, navigational problems (with diagram and tables), book keeping with examples of business 'waste book', 'balancing journal' and ledger entries for 1807 and 1812-13 based on supposed voyages and trade dealings.
At the back of the volume is a rough pencil sketch of the 'privateer that chased Captain Lane'. Also entered on blank pages at the end of the volume is a copy of notes concerning Captain Benjamin Lane sent by James Arthur Lane to his daughter Mrs D.A. Lane, 20 June 1945 and notes by Lt. Col. D.A. Lane (descendent of James Christmas Lane, younger brother of Benjamin), 18 November 1945.

Benjamin Lane

Journal : 1859 - 1860

Journal of William Archer for the period May 1859 - October 1860. Entries for most days, sometimes including much detail, referring to his daily work (both farm work on his property and later his architectural work), also his travels, visits to and from neighbours, elections and political activities etc.

William Archer

Journal : 1858-1859

Journal of William Archer for the period June 1858 to May1859 . Entries for most days, sometimes including much detail, referring to his daily work (both farm work on his property and later his architectural work), also his travels, visits to and from neighbours, elections and political activities etc.

William Archer

Journal : 1847

Journal of William Archer for the period March to December 1847. Entries for most days, sometimes including much detail, referring to his daily work (both farm work on his property and later his architectural work), also his travels, visits to and from neighbours, elections and political activities etc.

William Archer

Journal : 1848 - 1856

Journal of William Archer for the period January 1848 - January 1856 . Entries for most days, sometimes including much detail, referring to his daily work (both farm work on his property and later his architectural work), also his travels, visits to and from neighbours, elections and political activities etc.

William Archer

Journal : 1860 - 1862

Journal of William Archer for the period October 1860 to November 1862. Entries for most days, sometimes including much detail, referring to his daily work (both farm work on his property and later his architectural work), also his travels, visits to and from neighbours, elections and political activities etc.

William Archer

Transcript of RS 30/11

Transcript of original document - "Correspondence from James Boyd" (RS30/11) made by Susan Hood - Port Arthur Historic Site - March, 2021

State of the flock

State of the flock for the years 1825-1828. Shepherd's notes of sheep numbers, branding, sales etc.

Andrew Downie

Sheep stealing cases

Subpoena and notes of expense in case of sheep stolen from Thomas Wells when Downie was acting for John Raisley of Kimbolton Park, Hamilton. Also note relating rumours of sheep stealing 1826.

Andrew Downie

Thomas Judd's diary

Diary of Thomas Judd (1822-1915) son of Thomas Judd (1794-1887) and Elizabeth (Cane) on a voyage from England to Tasmania on the "Sir Charles Napier" with his family: "Father and Mother, Elizabeth, myself, John, Ann, Rebecca, Susan, Martha and Henry (we have left William behind - being deaf and dumb - to receive his education in the asylum)". The diary consists mainly of the voyage: weather, activities on board, prayer meetings in their cabin. On arrival they took a house in Macquarie Street and looked for jobs. Ann and Elizabeth were offered posts as governesses but Elizabeth died on 30 December, at the age of 22, and was buried in the Scotch burial ground.
Typed typescript made by D. Little 2 July 1953 - spelling and punctuation altered.

Thomas Judd

TRST Combined Index

  • Collection
  • n.d.

Combined index to The Royal Society of Tasmania manuscript deposit collection.

The taking Dido : from Dr. Story's Diary

A copy of an extract from Dr Story's diary, the original dating from November 1855, the copy taken by Mrs Collins Amos of Glen Gala in 1929. The diary entry concerns the apprehension of the bushranger 'Dido', who had assaulted Story and Mrs and Miss Cotton while travelling. Earlier on, Dido and a companion had confronted the police constable J Watson, and stolen his horse. With Mr Fergusson, Story assisted Watson in apprehending Dido, an action Story felt entitled him to part of the government reward offered for Dido's capture.

George Fordyce Story

Correspondence : Walker to Denison

Copy of letter dated 17th December 1849 from George Washington Walker to Lt. Governor Sir William Thomas Denison which is a memorial to the prisoner Augustus Dalmas and his daughter Caroline, now Mrs. Adams.

George Washington Walker

Transcript of W7/28

Transcription of original document: "James Boyd correspondence from Darlington, Maria Island to a friend, dated 5 October 1846" (W7/28) made by Susan Hood - Port Arthur Historic Site - March, 2021

Transcript of W7/27

Transcription of original document: "James Boyd correspondence from Darlington, Maria Island to a friend, dated 1 August 1846" (W7/27) made by Susan Hood - Port Arthur Historic Site - March, 2021

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart in about 1881. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Diary 1891

Diary of Sarah E.E. Mitchell of Lisdillon on the East Coast of Tasmania - 1891. From the age of thirteen she daily noted in her journal the state of the weather, her routine activities about the house and property and visits of friends.

Sarah E.E. Mitchell

The Derwent Star and Van Diemen's Land Intelligencer

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC RS176
  • Collection
  • 1810

The Derwent Star and Van Diemen's Land Intelligence, Hobarts first and short lived newspaper was first issued on 8 January 1810. This issue No. 7, 3 April 1810 gives an account of the recent death and funeral of David Collins, Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land. Produced fortnightly by the government printer George Clark/Clarke, there were twelves issues published from 1810 to 1812.

George Clark

Marjorie Bligh Photograph Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC PhDig/Bligh
  • Collection
  • 1910-2011

Collection consists of a series of digital photographs taken for an exhibition of Marjorie Bligh's work held at the University of Tasmania, Morris Miller Library in 2011. They include photographs of Marjorie's personal photograph collection and photographs of her handcrafts.

Marjorie Bligh

Copies of letters to Dr Turnbull

Typescript copies of letters to Dr Turnbull, 1839-1845. Letters from George Arthur (1839), John Franklin (1844, 1845), including one written from H.M.S. Erebus, and Jane Franklin (1845), relating to Tasmania, mutual friends, politics, Sir John's expedition, the college.

John Franklin

Dinner engagement book

Lady Franklin's dinner engagement book for the period 18 January 1837 to 12 August 1843. Listing all guests invited to dinner at Government House.

John Franklin

Copy of a letter from Sir John Franklin to Rev. J Lillee

Copy of a letter from Sir John Franklin to Rev. John Lillie (1806-1866), Presbyterian minister and others, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, dated 9th September 1843 from Hobart Town V D Land he writes on resigning his office " the warmth of your expressions of esteem and attachment at the close of my administration, convince me that I have not altogether failed to justify your generous anticipations, and that at least you have appreciated my zealous endeavours to do my duty."

John Franklin

The unpublished memoir of Sir Patrick Abercrombie

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/4
  • Collection
  • c1939

The unpublished memoirs of Sir Leslie Patrick Abercrombie, an English town planner, best known for the post-Second World War re-planning of London

Patrick Abercrombie

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/2
  • Collection
  • 1827-03-26

Grant of land at 31 Campbell Street, Hobart to Joshua Fergusson made by his Excellency Colonel George Arthur Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land on the 26th day of March 1827. Subject to the payment of a yearly quit-rent of two pounds payable on the 31st day of January each year.
31 Campbell Street is the site of the University of Tasmania's major creative industries and performing arts development, 'The Hedberg', adjoining Hobart's historic Theatre Royal on the 'Wapping 4' site. The University of Tasmania opened at the Hedberg in Semester 1, 2020 after almost 10 years in conception, consultation, planning and construction stages. The project was led by Tasmanian firm Liminal Architecture and designed in collaboration with WOHA and Arup.
The significance of the Hedberg site in the heart of Wapping dates to the 1830s, when it was a lively convergence of working-class homes, industry and entertainment. Archaeological work was undertaken in consultation with the Tasmanian Heritage Council, and results from the archaeological investigation informed aspects of the design.
The heritage-listed facade of the Hedberg Brothers Garage on Collins Street is the University of Tasmania entrance at the Hedberg. Built in 1925, it has intrinsic heritage value as an early, unusual and important example of its type.

Colonial Secretary, Van Diemen's Land

Photograph of of nine gentleman

Photograph of nine gentlemen, three seated. Photograph named. Back row Thomas Mather, Thomas Binns, Charles H Robey, Lewis May, Robert Mather, N H Propsting. Seated William Wells, J. Francis Mather & William Corben

Friends' School

Photograph of dining room

Photograph of dining room at the Friends' School. In 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of view of Friends' school from front

Photograph of view of school from front. In 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of library

Photograph of library at the Friends School. In 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of Hobartville

1889 the Friends' school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, Hobart, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Photograph of classrooms and gymnasium

Photograph of classrooms and gymnasium. 1889 the Friends school committee borrowed £4000 from the Baptist Union and purchased property in Commercial Road, known as Hobartville with a house built in 1832. This remained the nucleus of the school, but alterations and additions were made frequently.

Dr George Fordyce Story Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C7
  • Collection
  • 1821-1878

Collection consists of personal papers, medical case notes and accounts, student notes and exercises, botanical papers which include some correspondence with Baron Sir Ferdinand von Mueller, copies of electoral returns etc.

George Fordyce Story

Proposed chapel designed for the Orphan School Establishment

Proposed chapel designed for the Orphan School Establishment, Hobart Town, Van Diemens Land by architect J Lee Archer 1832, Section and elevation-circular building (photographic copy). Ground Plan - This level would contain seats for 366 children and 43 adults and the Gallery for 260 children and 168 adults - total 837. In 1830 Lieutenant-Governor Arthur commissioned John Lee Archer to design the Orphan School. Construction took place between 1831-1833.

John Lee Archer

Tankard

Leadless pewter tankard, with inscription 'T.U.R.U.F.C., Presented to George Wilson, in appreciation'. Huntly, Sllcraft Pty. Ltd., Melbourne

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Bottle of wine

Green bottle of red wine, with cork in. Label reads: 'University Rugby Club Red 1986. George Wilson, the Club patron, with black and white photo, 1983 under. Cabernet Sauvignon. An elegant red for the true red man and Club supporter, eminently suitable for imminent consumption or short term cellaring

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Results 1 to 100 of 5200