Showing 453 results

Archival description
George Musgrave Parker: Correspondence and research records
Print preview View:

102 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Letters written by Frederick Rapp regarding the history of Waterloo Point

Three letters written by Frederik Rapp to Doctor Parker dated 17 March, 16 July & 15 December 1928 regarding the history of Waterloo Point, Great Swanport and the Municipality of Glamorgan in the late 1800's. Mention is made of the old church on the school reserve, the old school, now the War Institute, the pews from the church, various residents, hotels, sailing vessels and the building of the jetty

Letters received 1922-1929

The letters were not filed in chronological order but grouped according to writer or family including: F.Taylor (W.A., descendant of Merediths), B. Izod, Thomas Dunbabin, H. Amos, Robert Legge ,B.S.Hammond, K. Smith, H.R .Dumaresq, Emily Mayson, Edwin Mitchell of Mayfield (about maps), G.H.Drake (of Seaford about medicine and documents), Lyne family, J.W. Beattie, H.L.Bayley, A.A. MacLaine, E.J. But1er (DeadIsland), Allan Dilger (Ram Island graves), Sarah E.E.Mitchell (Swansea old church and bell), Fred Mace, Mary Walker (copies of sketches), Mrs. Eliza Johnson (1928, grandaughter of Thomas Buxton), Frederick Rapp (1928, reminiscences and old church), R.W.Giblin (1929), J. Lane.

Apsley house

Photograph of Apsley House. Originally a single storey sandstone Georgian house built in the 1840's on land granted to John Lyne who was MHA for Glamorgan in the period 1843-1865. Small kodak prints. ?G.M.P photographer thought to be taken c1920's - (See also book ch.3, P1/35 (262)

George Musgrave Parker

Milton: old house, stone on north side

1 photograph of stone inscribed - J A 1828. Photograph thought to have been taken in the 1930's by G.M.P. of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone.

George Musgrave Parker

Milton

Photograph thought to have been taken in the 1930's by G.M.P. of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone.

George Musgrave Parker

Milton: the residence of J. Allen

Photograph, thought to have been taken in the 1930's, of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone.

George Musgrave Parker

Extracts from East Coast diaries

Brief notes and extracts from diaries of: John Allen, 1837-1876; Adam Amos, 1822-1825 (see also P.1/6 app. B); Capt. B. Bayley, 1838 -1839; Joseph Cotton, 1863 -1880; E.O. Cotton, 1881 -1896; George Meredith's pocket book, 1821; G.F. Storey, Nov. 1855 (on the taking of 'Dido', i.e. William Driscoll with a note by [Rachel Cotton] written from memory in 1918 and a news clipping); Edwin Woodland 1839 -1842 (a short note only from a diary, letter book and log book lent by Edward Marshall); Lady Franklin (brief note only). Also notes about the Meredith family and notes made from Sarah Mitchell's scrap books.

Milton: the residence of J. Allen

Photograph, thought to have been taken in the 1930's, of the rear of the rebuilt Milton Farm house. In 1826, young John Allen applied for and received a grant of land on Tasmania's east coast: four hundred acres on the west bank of Cygnet River. He named the property Milton, after his home village in England. In February 1828, he reaped his first harvest, but in that same month, an Aboriginal raiding party attacked the (undefended) property, after previously harassing Allen's neighbours John Lyne and George Meredith. Allen's house was robbed and torched and his wheat stack burnt; damage was estimated at £300. Subsequently awarded a two hundred acre extension to his land grant 'as a remuneration for the Aforesaid Loss', he set to work rebuilding, this time a two-storey house of stone

George Musgrave Parker

Glen Gala House: brick house, croquet lawn

Photograph of Glen Gala House at Cranbrook. Adam Amos arrived in March 1821 in the Emerald along with George Meredith, and was advised to look for land on the unsettled east coast. Adam's capital entitled him to a grant of 1000 acres (405 ha) which he located on the Swan River at Cranbrook, and called Gala. Glen Gala is a two storey brick Victorian Georgian house constructed in 1860 on the original grant to Adam Amos

George Musgrave Parker

Malunnah

Photograph of Malunnah at Orford, Tasmania. Built by writer & artist Louisa Anne Meredith and her husband Charles. The Merediths lived at the house from 1868 until 1888. This photograph was taken by Miss F.M. Kennedy of Swansea

George Musgrave Parker

Swansea: Resthaven House

2 storied brick building, no veranda - mounted photo
Now known as Oyster Bay Guest House and located at 10 Franklin Street, Resthaven was built in 1841 and operated initially as the Black Swan Inn. In 1870 it became a store and then became a private residence which was occupied by a number of different doctors.

George Musgrave Parker

Swansea: Resthaven House

Postcard of 2 storied brick house, veranda, car in front
Now known as Oyster Bay Guest House and located at 10 Franklin Street, Resthaven was built in 1841 and operated initially as the Black Swan Inn. In 1870 it became a store and then became a private residence which was occupied by a number of different doctors.

George Musgrave Parker

Swansea: Resthaven House

2 storied brick house
Now known as Oyster Bay Guest House and located at 10 Franklin Street, Resthaven was built in 1841 and operated initially as the Black Swan Inn. In 1870 it became a store and then became a private residence which was occupied by a number of different doctors.

George Musgrave Parker

Swansea: grave of Rev. Thomas Dove MA

Anglican Cemetery . Photograph taken by George Musgrave Parker
Front Inscription
In memoriam Rev Thomas Dove M.A. First Minister of this church born in Glasgow Scotland April 24th 1803
Arrived in Swanport in August 1844
And after labouring in this District as a Christian Minister for 38 years, he died at Swansea August 27th 1882 aged 79 years
Erected by his congregation. http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/people/religion/display/103957-reverend-thomas-dove

George Musgrave Parker

Harbottle's cottage at Swansea

Postcard produced by Swansea photographer, Miss F.M. Kennedy, (c1880-c1950s) of titled Harbottle's at Swansea, Tasmania.
This Cottage has also been know as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage. This single storey, sandstone rubble building with a corrugated iron hipped roof was listed by the National Trust in 1976 as it demonstrated the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building . Located at 45 Shaw Street, Swansea, Tasmania

George Musgrave Parker

Bluff Cottage, formerly known as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage

Photograph of Bluff Cottage, formerly known as Harbottle's Cottage and Caulfield Cottage. This single storey, sandstone rubble building with a corrugated iron hipped roof was listed by the National Trust in 1976 as it demonstrated the principal characteristics of a single storey, sandstone Victorian Georgian domestic building . Located at 45 Shaw Street, Swansea, Tasmania

George Musgrave Parker

Results 1 to 100 of 453