Showing 121 results

Archival description
Hobart Image With digital objects
Print preview View:

Track to waterfall

Black-and-white photograph shows path to near base of waterfall in foothills of Mount Wellington, two men standing near a barrel beside a metal mesh and barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate barring access to the stream

Tasman Bridge works

Construction site on riverbank as work begins on Tasman Bridge; cranes, steel scaffolding and brickwork evident. Workers in hard hats; one man striding towards camera, wearing gumboots is poking his tongue out at the photographer.

Hal Wyatt

Tasman Bridge nears completion

Colour photograph shows construction of Tasman Bridge, from Derwent River’s Eastern Shore. Shows spans of Tasman Bridge almost completed from Eastern Shore, temporary floating Hobart Bridge upstream of new multi-lane road bridge; snow on Mount Wellington in background. Printing or scanning error in photograph/slide shows coloured lines horizontally through. photograph.

Hal Wyatt

Sailing boat moored in Hobart, 1950s

Colour photograph of small, two masted sailing boat, with green painted hull, and a sign Onrust, Holland, pinned to mast, Onrust also painted onto side of boat.

Hal Wyatt

Road to Government House, on Gun Carriage Drive

Black-and-white photograph taken looking north along Gun Carriage Drive towards Government House, Hobart, with post-and-rail fences on Derwent River side; a horse harnessed to a four-wheel carriage, is on the left of the road; a small jetty extends from the shoreline and a boat is visible through the trees, anchored just off shore.

Repairs on Tasman Bridge roadspan

Photograph in colour, taken from Eastern Shore of Derwent River, depicting repairs to roadway and pylons damaged in January 1975 crash of bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra. Mount Wellington in background.

Hal Wyatt

Repair work on Tasman Bridge continues

Colour photograph shows site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975; missing pylons being replaced

Hal Wyatt

Repair work on Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph shows site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975.

Hal Wyatt

Postcard of the pontoon bridge, Hobart

Black and white postcard of the River Derwent and the pontoon bridge with a view to the Montague Bay from the Queens Domain. Inscribed H.J.H No. 143. ( H. J. Hellessey ) Real photo card

Murray Street ferry pier and ships docked in Hobart

Colour photograph of ferry pier at bottom of Murray Street, Hobart, departure point for the Bellerive ferry; cargo and passenger ships docked at nearby Princes Wharf, including the steamer Orsova; sign advertising Cascade Ale on the Customs House Hotel.

Hal Wyatt

McNaught beam engine at works depot in Hobart 1967

Colour photograph of beam engine in Hobart, purportedly the oldest McNaught Beam Engine in existence, originally built 1854 in Paisley Scotland, by A.W. Smith and used by Risby’s Sawmill in Hobart until 1955; photograph taken at Moonah public works depot 1967

Hal Wyatt

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Fire place and mantel on rear wall.

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Honour board on wall.

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Liverpool Street, Hobart

Black-and-white photograph depicts police officer standing in middle of Liverpool Street, Hobart, with YMCA and J.W. Toplis Pharmaceutical Chemist listed as tenants of the corner building.

Library workroom

One small black and white photograph of Library workroom at Domain House taken in November 1960. Staff identified as J. Reynolds

University of Tasmania

Hobart Bridge and Tasman Bridge in winter 1964

Colour photograph of two bridges across the Derwent River, the Hobart Bridge, right, and the Tasman Bridge, left, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent in August 1964. Snow caps Mount Wellington in the background.

Hal Wyatt

Hobart Bridge and Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph taken from the western shore of the Derwent River, depicts vehicles travelling on the temporary, floating Hobart Bridge, while the nearly complete multi-lane Tasman Bridge to join the eastern and western shores of the river, is visible downstream.

Hal Wyatt

Henry Lewis Garrett : Degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C8
  • Collection
  • 1863

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Fuller Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC F6
  • Collection
  • 1916-1965

Collection consists of personal and business correspondence, financial records, scrapbook and cuttings scripts of broadcasts, stories and plays. Theatre programs, photographs and pins and badges. There is also material collected by Francis Ruby Fuller and Edwin Charles Fuller

William Edwin Fuller

Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was £400 including alterations. Shows Mr Cheverton and Mr Shields and uniformed police constable in front, Holy Trinity Church on hill in background. From 12 February 1832 the visiting Quakers James Backhouse and George Washington Walker held periods of worship in the Quaker manner and others sought leave to join them. These included ex-English Friends who had been transported, some of whom were still prisoners, other convicts and ‘locals’, together with four current members. The gatherings were held in private homes and various rented rooms. The Hobart Meeting began in 1833 when the first Meeting for Discipline was held on 20 September 1833 at the home of Thomas Crouch, Bathurst Street. Members present were Thomas Squire, Ann Pollard (minor), James Backhouse and George Washington Walker. Photograph (mounted) J. Bishop, Osborne (& copy neg)

George Musgrave Parker

Flower bed at botanical gardens

Colour photograph of Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens at Queens Domain, Hobart; depicts garden beds, lawns and Derwent River, looking towards Selfs Point Jetty and petroleum storage tanks at Selfs Point.

Hal Wyatt

Fern Tree Hut

Black-and-white photograph of rustic hut built amid fern trees on walking track at Mount Wellington, two figures walking across timber bridge amid fern fronds

Degree of Associate of Arts

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Dark sails on yacht

Colour photograph shows sailors in small yacht, with dark mainsail, on Derwent River, at dusk.

Hal Wyatt

Cranes repairing Tasman Bridge

Colour photograph shows cranes atop pylons at the site of repair work to Tasman Bridge, damaged by the crash of the ore carrier Lake Illawarra in January 1975; missing pylons being replaced.

Construction of Tasman Bridge 1961

Colour photograph taken from Derwent River shows construction of Tasman Bridge, 1961, shows scaffolding and crane gantry in place near shoreline.

Hal Wyatt

Chalmer’s church building in Hobart before demolition

Colour photograph of a church building, constructed in greying sand stone, with ivy climbing up wall on attached building; originally the Chalmer’s Free Church and Manse, in Hobart, on the corner of Harrington and Bathurst streets, later the Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church; congregation merged with St Andrew’s in Hobart to form, Scots Church; Chalmers church building sold in 1954 to Neptune Oil Company, which demolished it to construct a fuel station.

Hal Wyatt

Centre span of Tasman Bridge under construction

Colour photograph of the centre span of the Tasman Bridge is under construction in 1963, as viewed from a vehicle travelling on the nearby Hobart Bridge, which carries vehicular traffic across the Derwent River on a temporary, floating platform.

Hal Wyatt

Results 1 to 100 of 121