Item 23 - Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Original Digital object not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

AU TAS UTAS SPARC P1-35-23

Title

Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Date(s)

  • c1880 (Creation)

Level of description

Item

Extent and medium

1 photograph + negative

Context area

Name of creator

(1885-1964)

Biographical history

Dr G.Musgrave Parker (1885-1965) qualified in medicine (M.B. B.Ch.) at Cambridge, U.K., in 1913, and in 1914 he was appointed a medical officer of health in Swansea. From 1915 until 1918 he served with the Australian forces in Egypt and France. On return he served as medical officer for the Kentish Municipality (Sheffield, Rai1ton) 1919-1921; Swansea 1921-1926 and Clarence, 1926-1947, and then joined the staff of the Repatriation Hospital, Hobart, until he retired in 1955. He acted as president of branches of the RSL at Kentish, Swansea and Lindisfarne. He devoted most of his spare time, however, to a study of the history of the East Coast and hoped to write a book on it, but this was never finished.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was £400 including alterations. Shows Mr Cheverton and Mr Shields and uniformed police constable in front, Holy Trinity Church on hill in background. From 12 February 1832 the visiting Quakers James Backhouse and George Washington Walker held periods of worship in the Quaker manner and others sought leave to join them. These included ex-English Friends who had been transported, some of whom were still prisoners, other convicts and ‘locals’, together with four current members. The gatherings were held in private homes and various rented rooms. The Hobart Meeting began in 1833 when the first Meeting for Discipline was held on 20 September 1833 at the home of Thomas Crouch, Bathurst Street. Members present were Thomas Squire, Ann Pollard (minor), James Backhouse and George Washington Walker. Photograph (mounted) J. Bishop, Osborne (& copy neg)

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Investigations suggest copyright has expired. Please acknowledge: The George Musgrave Parker Collection and the University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places