Showing 7636 results

Archival description
With digital objects
Print preview View:

Olive Pink Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC P6
  • Collection
  • 1931 -1973

Sketches, mainly in pencil and crayon, made by Olive Muriel Pink of flowers found in the north of South Australia, Central and North Australia. The majority were made between June and December 1930, at various places along the railway between Port Augusta and Alice Springs. Later sketches were made in various parts of Australia between 1931 and 1960, but often without a note of the place and date. The sketches were often hurriedly made on pieces of thin, cheap paper, or even pieces of cardboard or brown paper. Some were coloured with crayon and a few, more finished drawings were coloured with watercolours. A later donation was made of books, personal belongings and sketches. A second series was received from the family of Olive Pink in 2016, this series includes Olive Pink's book collection, photographs, paintings, letters, items of clothing and other ephemera and memorabilia, some of which are nationally significant in their own right - such as the book plate made by Adrian Feint, notes and sketches done whilst camping with Daisy Bates, and photographs documenting life in Central Australia.

Olive Pink

Waterfront buildings and Salamanca, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of waterfront buildings and Salamanca, Hobart,Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

View of the Derwent River, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of view of the Derwent River, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994. 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Bishop Nixon

Lantern slide of Bishop Nixon Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Streetscape, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a streetscape in Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

House, Hunter Street, Hobart, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of house in Hunter Street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

House in Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of house in Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Early Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of early Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the harbour. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

Buildings, early Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of buildings in early Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Buildings on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Street, Hobart ,Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of buildings on the corner of Murray and Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

Wybalena, Flinders Island

Lantern slide of Wybalena, Flinders Island. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Wood's hut, the Springs, Mount Wellington, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of Wood's hut, the Springs, Mount Wellington, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Interior of chemistry laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Corner of library, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Exterior of chemical laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Entrance to physical laboratory & registrars office, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Interior of physical laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Exterior of physical laboratory, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

South front, University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart, late nineteenth century

Lantern slides of the University of Tasmania, Queen's Domain, Hobart. Views of exterior and laboratories and library. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994 (Collection Pr.S.Uni/1-8)

John Watt Beattie

Henry Ling Roth (1855-1925) Tasmania

Lantern slide photograph of Henry Ling Roth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

James Backhouse (1794-1869) Tasmania

Lantern slide of James Backhouse. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmania Map

Lantern slide of maps of Tasmania. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Map of Tasmania

Lantern slide of maps of Tasmania. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

West Australian Aboriginal stone implements

Lantern slide of West Australian aboriginal stone implements. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tedworth Aboriginal caves

Lantern slide of aboriginal caves at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Aboriginal caves Tedworth

Lantern slide of aboriginal caves at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tree marked by aborigines, Tedworth

Lantern slide of a tree marked by aborigines at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Aboriginal implement quarry

Lantern slide of an aboriginal implement quarry at Tedworth. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Mixed race Tasmanians

Lantern slide of mixed race Tasmanian aborigines. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994. The fourth person from the left is believed to be Mary Everett and the fifth person is believed to be Bunny Brown.

John Watt Beattie

Ground stone Aboriginal implements

Lantern slide of ground stone aboriginal implements. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal woman

Lantern slide of a Tasmanian aboriginal woman. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal woman and child

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal woman and child 'after Labillardiere'. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal stone implements

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal stone implements. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal profile

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal profile. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Tasmanian Aboriginal canoe and baskets

Lantern slide of Tasmanian aboriginal canoe and baskets. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Stonemason's house, Hobart ,Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Stonemason's house, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

St. David's Park, Davey Street, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of St. David's Park, Davey Street, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

Solomon Islander making fire

Lantern slide of Solomon Islander making fire. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Salamanca from Wharf, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Salamanca from the Wharf, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994. Quaker Collection.

John Watt Beattie

Parliament House, Hobart, Tasmania

Lantern slide of Parliament House, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847

Lantern slide of early print of Old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1847. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Old Ball Room where Town Hall now stands, Hobart

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of the demolition of the old ball room where the Town Hall now stands, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Liverpool Street, Hobart

Lantern slide of Liverpool Street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Jack, native of Cape Grim

Lantern slide of Jack, native of Cape Grim. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

J. Walch and Sons

Lantern slide of J. Walch and Sons, Macquarie Street, Hobart c1880. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830

Lantern slide of early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1817

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, in February, 1817. Inscribed with the words 'Hobart Town in 1817. Drawn by Lieut. Charles Jeffreys' - also shows the Government schooner the Kangaroo , church, Government House and Fort.

Charles Jeffreys

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the Harbour

Lantern slide of an early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the harbour. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Savings Bank

Lantern slide of Hobart Savings Bank, Murray Street Hobart c1860. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Governor Sir Thomas Gore Browne

Lantern slide of Governor Sir Thomas Gore Browne. Governor of Tasmania from 1861-1868. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Government House and St David's Cathedral, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Government House and St David's Cathedral, Van Diemen's Land. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994. Lantern slide of detail from 'The Seat of His Excellency Lieut. Govr. Arthur / drawn from Nature and on Stone' by Charles Atkinson d.1837

John Watt Beattie

George Washington Walker

Lantern slide of George Washington Walker (1800-1859). Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Elizabeth Street Hobart

Lantern slide of Elizabeth Street, Hobart looking north. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Runnymede, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Runnymede, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994

John Watt Beattie

Captain Kelly's house

Lantern slide of Captain Kelly's house, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Campbell & Minchin building

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, corner Elizabeth and Bathurst street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern Slide of plan of early Hobart Town, from a survey done in 1804-1805, showing later alterations. The plan also appears in James Backhouse Walker's paper 'The Founding of Hobart, by Lieut.-Governor Collins' read to the Royal Society of Tasmania 14/10/1889. In this he describes the plan, "I am indebted to my friend Mr. Mault for a beautifully executed plan, which shows very clearly the original features of the ground, and the position of the first camp, and also indicates the alterations which have since taken place. It is taken from a survey made by Surveyor-General Harris in 1804-5. The original plan was discovered many years ago in the Lands Office at Sydney, and was presented by the New South Wales Government to our Lands Department. The Deputy- Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. Albert Reid, kindly presented me with a tracing of it."
Lantern slide thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town Gazette

Lantern slide of front page of the Hobart Town Gazette, June 1816. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Port Arthur

Lantern slide of Port Arthur 1839. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Old Government House

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Large mouse or a young rat [pygmy possum]

Illustration from Henry Hellyers diary - " Wednesday July 4th - In splitting a log this morning there came out either a large mouse or a young rat it appeared in a dormant state or it was injured in some way as it remained very quietly in my hand while I sketched it off".
[pygmy possum]

Henry Hellyer Letter

Copy of a letter from Henry Hellyer to Edward Curr, dated 29 November 1828, describing a journey to Mt. Farrell, the Fury Gorge, Barn Bluff and Cradle Mountain, and the discovery of river Mackintosh and Eldon Range

Henry Hellyer

Photograph of headstone

Photograph of the headstone of Bolton Stafford Bird. "In loving memory of Bolton Stafford Bird Husband of Helen Bird of Bru i Vale Lunawanna who died 15th December 1924 aged 84 years" Cemetrey Point Cemetrey, 175 Cemetery Road, Lunawanna, South Bruny, Bruny Island, Tasmania

Comedies, with the commentary of Petrus Antesignanus Rapistagnensis

Terence, Comedies, with the commentary of Petrus Antesignanus Rapistagnensis.
Binding of blind-stamped pigskin over pasteboard. The pigskin presumably once extended over the whole of the boards, but has been cut back near the half-way point from the spine, and the remainder replaced with parts of leaves from a 15th-cent. manuscript liturgical book in gothic textura with red initials and rubric. That on the back is so rubbed as to be illegible.
Pr. Mathias Bonhome, Lyon, 1560. Heavily used, perhaps in a classroom.
Inside the front board are mottos in Greek and Latin with the monogram ‘CIC’. On the first flyleaf in carmine: ‘Iohannes Christianus Wes(?el) Magdeburgensis Saxo / Anno CID ID CCVII Symbol’/ Iesus Crucifixi Vulnera Me Salvant’. The date is 1707. A similar inscription appears to have been washed off the inside of the back board. Lower down, less formally, ‘Jo: Ch: Wapsa / Anno 1702 & 7 Aprilis’. Also, perhaps in the same hand, 22 gl. On the title page ‘Iohannes Christianus Wapsa / Anno 1702 / & 6 Aprilis.’ Below is ‘Henricus Sebast. Wapsa Iur. Pract. [blank] comp. sibi Halae Saxon. Prid. Cal. Maii anno CID IC CLXVIII’. Further down again is ‘[erased] gyl’. Near the head ‘F. 3’ and ‘Ch: Coll: Tasm:’; probably given by Rev. R. R. Davies in 1852. Inside the front board are penciled 2228 and No. 200.

Cent Coll Rare PA 6755 .A2 1560.

La villa : Dialogo

Bartolomeo Taegio, La Villa. Dialogo.
Pr. Francesco Moscheni, Milan, 30 May 1559.
Bound in its original limp vellum wrappers; remains of two ties of the same. Fine title page; on the verso the author’s portrait; woodcuts showing surveying at pp. 162 and 164.
Inside the front cover is written ‘1560 Francoforti I. A. à S’. On the verso of the last leaf of text (Cciii) and the following flyleaf are herbal remedies in German, signed ‘Frater Mercurius ordinis S. Basilii in Monte Sinai uel S. Catharina co(mmun)icabat Praga Anno 1570.’ The same hand has annotated the text. On the verso of the first flyleaf is ‘Duplum Bibliothecae regiae Monacensis’, 18th-cent. From the Library of Christ College; given by Rev. R.R. Davies in 1852.

Morris Miller-Christ College Rare-Book SB 471 .T34 1559

Verrius Flaccus (grammarian), fragments, and Sextus Pompeius Festus, De Verborum Significatione.

Verrius Flaccus (grammarian), fragments, and Sextus Pompeius Festus, De Verborum Significatione.
Pr. Iohannes Maria Bonellus, Venice, 1559 (the colophon has 1560).
The ‘series chartarum’ on the last page of the book (shown here) provides a guide for the binder to ensure that he sewed the book in the correct order. Each quire or section was assigned an alphabetical letter which, with the leaf number, appears at the foot of the leaves (usually four) in the first half of each quire: a1, a2, a3, a4. This system was already used in late medieval manuscripts.
On the last leaf, 16th-cent., ‘Thomas Plower His Book’. From the Library of Christ College; given by Rev. R. R. Davies in 1852.
Morris Miller-Christ College Rare-Book PA 6385 .F4 V477 1560

Opera, incl. Appendix Vergiliana, with the notes of Iohannes Frisius, Philip Melancthon et al.

Virgil, Opera, incl. Appendix Vergiliana, with the notes of Iohannes Frisius, Philip Melancthon et al.
Binding 16th- or 17th-cent., the leather lost, only the pasteboard, damaged by damp, remaining.
Pr. Weigand Han Erb., Sigmund Feierabent, Georg Rab, [Frankfurt], 1563.
Fine full-page engravings, verso of a8, c4, i8, l5, n4 verso, p2 verso, q8 verso, x3, z3, B1 verso, D1 verso, F3, H4 verso, K7.
Inside the front board ‘T. Blyth’s’. The first flyleaf is filled with pen-trials, the verso and following recto with a draft letter, 16th-cent., in English. The same hand writes more of the same on the innermost end flyleaf. At the head of the verso of the title page a 16th-cent. name, ‘Richardus Lath[?]nage’, has been cropped by the binder. The same name is written lower down, inked over. On the verso before b1 is ‘Thomas Tatham 1717’. On the verso of the last flyleaf ‘Mr William Radcliffe’, presumably the Derbyshire cotton weaver of this name (1761-1842). From the Library of Christ College.

Uncatalogued.

Geoffrey Chaucer, Works

Geoffrey Chaucer, Works.
Printed in London by John Kyngston for John Wyght, in 1561.
This is the fourth printed edition of Chaucer’s collected works, effectively a reprint of the 1532 edition, with fourteen leaves of additional verse, and the long poem The Siege of Thebes by John Lydgate, monk of Bury.
The text is in ‘black-letter’, i.e. gothic type, with many decorated initials and several engraved illustrations.
On the second flyleaf is pencilled ‘No. 68 in Arch’s Catalogue of 1814’. John and Arthur Arch (fl. 1792-1838) were London booksellers. Bookplate of Edgar Atheling Drummond (1825-1893). Acquired by the University Library from the bookseller Bernard Quaritch, London, in 1930.

Cent Rare Folio PR 1850 1561.

Rariorum aliquot Stirpium per Hispanias Obseruatarum Historia

Charles de l’Ecluse (Clusius), Rariorum aliquot Stirpium per Hispanias Obseruatarum Historia.

Pr. Christopher Plantin, Antwerp, 1576. With numerous engravings by one of Plantin’s best artists, Pieter van der Borcht. The famous press founded by Plantin (c. 1520-1589) was to remain in business until 1867.

Charles de l’Ecluse (1526-1609), professor at the University of Leiden, established Europe’s first botanical garden there (still in existence), and laid the foundations of the Dutch bulb industry. This book is one of the earliest treatises on the flora of Spain.

Inside the front cover is ‘duplicato’, an old shelfmark C. 64, and 12/- in pencil. At the end is ‘Perlegi Tag ij 1580. mense Februario / Laus Deo.’ On the verso of the title page is ‘Will: Forsyth 1825’. From the Library of Christ College; given by Rev. R. R. Davies in 1852.

Morris Miller-Christ College Rare-Book QK 41 .C58 1576

Anthologia Graeca

Anthologia Graeca.

Pr. Henricus Stephanus (Henri Estienne), ‘illustris uiri Huldrichi Fuggeri typographus’, [Geneva], 1566. Using a beautiful Greek typeface.

Inside the front board is the plate of Thornton & Son, Booksellers, 11 The Broad, Oxford. On the front flyleaf, in red ink, ‘E libris Marci Pattisonis, uiri doctissimi, Linc. Coll. Oxon. quondam rectoris – Univ. Oxon.’ Pattison (1813-1884) was rector of Lincoln College Oxford. Inside the front board is the bookplate of Mahinda College, Galle, Ceylon. On it is written, in the same red ink, ‘e libris F. L. Woodward Mahinda College, Galle, Ceylon’ and ‘e Sid. Coll. Cam. schol. 1890’. Given by his executors to the University Library in 1952.

Cent Rare PA 3458 .A2 1566.

Opera

Bede, Opera.

Pr. in 8 vols. by Ioannes Hervagius (Iohann Herwegen), Basel, 1563.

The first printed edition (editio princeps) of the works of the Venerable Bede (d. 734), and the last until the nineteenth century. The illustrations are from his works on chronology and from some of the many pieces wrongly ascribed to him by the editor.

On the title page of vols. 5 and 7 is ‘Conventus Leod’ fratrum minorum Recoll’’, on that of vol. 2 ‘Conventus PP Recollect Leod’’; i.e. withdrawn from the library of the Franciscan convent at Liège. From the Library of Christ College.

Christ College Rare PA 8260 .O64 1563

The whole workes of W. Tyndall, Iohn Frith, and Doct. Barnes : three worthy martyrs and principall teachers of this Churche of England

Image extracts from the title 'The whole workes of W. Tyndall, Iohn Frith, and Doct. Barnes : three worthy martyrs and principall teachers of this Churche of England'.

Pr. John Daye, London, dated 1573 on the title page, 1572 at the end of the Index. The first edition of the complete works.

Contemporary London blind-stamped binding, rebacked. Centre and corner bosses on both boards, the lower one on the front board nearest the spine gone. Formerly two straps from the front board to catches at the rear. On the spine is a small paper label with typescript 174 B. Fine illustrations, including the title page, one of Tyndal’s burning on the unnumbered page before b1. Anti-papist illustration on the last page.

On the front flyleaf are a series of names. In apparent chronological order: ‘For Elizabeth Louther’, canc.; ‘Ann Tilley April 1844’; ‘For my Nephew’; ‘For John Tilley 21 May 1844’; ‘John Tilley’. All except the first appear to be in the same hand, presumably Ann Tilley’s. On the last flyleaf, upside down, ‘Ann Lowther’, ?18th cent. The Royal Society of Tasmania’s plate inside the front cover, its stamp on the first flyleaf.

Morris Miller RoySoc Rare BR 53 .T95.

University of Tasmania Charter

  • UT377
  • Collection
  • 1899-1915

Documents relating to the University of Tasmania Charter

University of Tasmania

Letters Patent of the University of Tasmania

Parchment document bound with green ribbon and sealed with red wax. Letters Patent of King George V granting recognition throughout the Kingdom, empire and Dominions of degrees conferred by the University of Tasmania in Arts, Science, Law, Medicine, Music and all branches of knowledge except Theology

University of Tasmania

Results 1 to 100 of 7636