The collection features photographs taken by Hobart photographic studio Beattie’s Studio, also known as J.W. Beattie, for the Electrolytic Zinc Co. at the company’s Risdon smelter between 1920 and 1940. The collection depicts construction of new facilities at the factory complex. The first sod was turned on the zinc smeltering plant at Risdon on the western shore of the Derwent River on 16 November 1916, and a test smelter called the 250 lb plant was opened in 1917 to produce 250 lb of zinc a day using the recently developed Roast-Leach-Electrowin (RLE) process of extracting zinc through electrolysis. Electrolytic Zinc’s office occupied the former Derwent Inn. The larger 10-ton plant opened in January 1918 and the 100-ton plant opened in November, 1921. This collection of photographs depicts the phases of construction of the 100-Ton Plant, further expansion of the smelter and decomissioning of some of the older equipment at the zinc works. Beattie’s Studio was a photographic studio founded by Scotsman John Watt Beattie (1859-1930), who began exhibiting photographs soon after his arrival in Tasmania in 1878.
Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.
Xeroxed copy of Robert Doctors account book for the years 1827 to 1851 with details of goods and services supplied by and to various residents in the Sorell area, including: boots, shoes soled and heeled, plough mould, beans, handle, tobacco, rum, sugar tea, callico, coffin, bread, repairing cart wheel, laying floor, shingles, glass, making ploughs. Also payments made.
Photocopy of the last will and testament of Thomas Alcock, dated 1856, leaving legacies to his children and his second wife, Ann. Executors were Thomas Lodywyk Crowther, surgeon, and John Regan, tanner.
Collection consists of personal and business correspondence, financial records, scrapbook and cuttings scripts of broadcasts, stories and plays. Theatre programs, photographs and pins and badges. There is also material collected by Francis Ruby Fuller and Edwin Charles Fuller
Collection consists of one folio leather bound minute book and other material relating to the Chamber of Commerce including annual reports and handbooks and directories. Minutes are incomplete, but annual reports or annual handbooks are complete from 1910 -1984.
Collection consists of various black and white photographic views of the interior and of the staff of the University of Tasmania Library at Domain House, Hobart also at the Morris Miller Library, Sandy Bay