Collection consists of glass plates, lantern slides, 35mm slides, prints and negatives of images relating to the history of the University of Tasmania some later images produced by the University photographer Fred Koolhof 1960-1980
Collection consists of various black and white photographic views of the interior and of the staff of the University of Tasmania Library at Domain House, Hobart also at the Morris Miller Library, Sandy Bay
This badge, a smaller version of the cloth badge was probably a badge of the Tasmania University Union, and is based on the official Common Seal of the University, omitting the star and rose and the inscription, with the addition of a punning motto IN UNITATEM UNI.TAS, it also appears on the TUU magazine Platypus and may have been adopted in the 1920’s when the Union first sent teams to Inter-Varsity sports. In April 1932 it was reported in Togatus that estimates had been received by the S.R.C. from a Melbourne firm for metal badges – ‘Mr Michells considered the Union did not need metal badges and would not be able to dispose of them. But Mr Smith’s motion that a hundred badges should be purchased at 1/6d was carried.”
The two volumes of the green leather-bound, gold-embossed University of Tasmania roll books list University of Tasmania graduates conferred since the university's formation in 1890 until 1970. In the first few decades it also includes graduates from other universities in the Empire whose degrees were conferred at the University of Tasmania as ad eundem gradum degrees. The first graduates were conferred on 25 June 1890. The first University of Tasmania graduate was Samuel Picken and his degree was conferred 21 December 1894. The first University of Tasmania female graduate was Miss Eliza Wilson and her degree was conferred on 23 December 1896. Please note: the index to this volume appears to be incomplete. We will be working to rectify this over time. Please check the entries for the year.
Congratulatory Addresses for the University's Centenary in 1990, mostly illuminated and mounted, from universities in Australia and New Zealand and also from the Association of Commonwealth Universities and the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
Consists of one Library promotional video made in 1981, VHS cassette recording, 6.5 minutes. Script by Mary Howard and Peter Cohen, narrated by Meg Taylor, camera work by Michael Knott, Ross James and Eve Pettit, technical director Brian Rieusset, programme director Eve Pettit. Originally recorded on Umatic cassette for continuous playing over 1 hour, copied on to VHS by Brian Rieusset July, 1993, for University Archives (two showings over 15 minutes). Reformated to DVD in 2017. Includes typed copy of script.
Collection consists of over xxxx objects found on site as floors were excavated in Domain House from 2011 - 2015. Objects include many personal items ranging from paper and letter fragments, nibs, stylus, china fragments and toys