Showing 724 results

Archival description
South-East Tasmania With digital objects
Print preview View:

Degree of Associate of Arts

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Henry Lewis Garrett : Degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C8
  • Collection
  • 1863

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was £400 including alterations. Shows Mr Cheverton and Mr Shields and uniformed police constable in front, Holy Trinity Church on hill in background. From 12 February 1832 the visiting Quakers James Backhouse and George Washington Walker held periods of worship in the Quaker manner and others sought leave to join them. These included ex-English Friends who had been transported, some of whom were still prisoners, other convicts and ‘locals’, together with four current members. The gatherings were held in private homes and various rented rooms. The Hobart Meeting began in 1833 when the first Meeting for Discipline was held on 20 September 1833 at the home of Thomas Crouch, Bathurst Street. Members present were Thomas Squire, Ann Pollard (minor), James Backhouse and George Washington Walker. Photograph (mounted) J. Bishop, Osborne (& copy neg)

George Musgrave Parker

Postcard of the pontoon bridge, Hobart

Black and white postcard of the River Derwent and the pontoon bridge with a view to the Montague Bay from the Queens Domain. Inscribed H.J.H No. 143. ( H. J. Hellessey ) Real photo card

Wrest Point Hotel 1952

Photograph depicts forecourt of Wrest Point Hotel, Sandy Bay, showing front door with decorative masonry, with five dolphins, ship with St George Cross atop front door. Man in brown uniform standing alongside a Holden FX with dark body paintwork and a yellow painted roof, a taxi affiliated with Hobart's Yellow Cabs, Tasmanian licence plate WXG 772.

Hal Wyatt

Casino Tower

Colour photograph of Wrest Point Casino tower, looking upwards from base of building

Hal Wyatt

Library workroom

One small black and white photograph of Library workroom at Domain House taken in November 1960. Staff identified as J. Reynolds

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Fire place and mantel on rear wall.

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Honour board on wall.

University of Tasmania

Fuller Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC F6
  • Collection
  • 1916-1965

Collection consists of personal and business correspondence, financial records, scrapbook and cuttings scripts of broadcasts, stories and plays. Theatre programs, photographs and pins and badges. There is also material collected by Francis Ruby Fuller and Edwin Charles Fuller

William Edwin Fuller

Astor in Derwent River

Colour photograph shows yacht Astor, on Derwent River, with dinghy in tow; Mount Wellington shrouded in low cloud behind; other yachts under sail in background.

Hal Wyatt

After the yacht race

Colour photograph of yachts moored at Hobart waterfront, after a yacht race, masts, rigging, sails being stored by crew on yachts, including Southern Myth and Defiance.

Hal Wyatt

Astor at finish line of Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race

Colour photograph shows yacht with spinnaker hoisted, sailing on Derwent River, the Astor, purportedly in 1962 Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race, photograph quite possibly taken in 1961, 1963 or 1964 race when the craft took line honours.

Hal Wyatt

At the Yacht Club

Colour photograph shows yachts at Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania and cars parked beside waterfront

Hal Wyatt

Wreck on beach near Mars Bluff

Colour photograph of rotting timbers from wreck of boat, half-buried in the sand near shallow creek on beach near Mars Bluff, Bruny Island, Photograph possibly taken 1963.

Track to waterfall

Black-and-white photograph shows path to near base of waterfall in foothills of Mount Wellington, two men standing near a barrel beside a metal mesh and barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate barring access to the stream

Ruins of church at Port Arthur

Black-and-white photograph shows ruins of the church at Port Arthur, damaged by fire in 1884,with charred timber framework in the roof, remnant shingles on the roof and climbing plants covering the sandstone of the church walls. Handwritten words “Church at Port Arthur” in lower left corner of image.

Barnes Bay 1960

Colour photograph taken 1960 of Barnes Bay, Bruny Island, showing shoreline, road and culvert, paddocks with horses and cattle grazing

Beach at Taroona 1951

Colour photograph of rocky foreshore at Taroona, 1951, with woman sitting on rock in foreground; shot tower visible in hills in rear of picture

Hal Wyatt

Repairs on Tasman Bridge roadspan

Photograph in colour, taken from Eastern Shore of Derwent River, depicting repairs to roadway and pylons damaged in January 1975 crash of bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra. Mount Wellington in background.

Hal Wyatt

Tasman Bridge works

Construction site on riverbank as work begins on Tasman Bridge; cranes, steel scaffolding and brickwork evident. Workers in hard hats; one man striding towards camera, wearing gumboots is poking his tongue out at the photographer.

Hal Wyatt

Hobart Bridge and Tasman Bridge in winter 1964

Colour photograph of two bridges across the Derwent River, the Hobart Bridge, right, and the Tasman Bridge, left, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent in August 1964. Snow caps Mount Wellington in the background.

Hal Wyatt

Chalmer’s church building in Hobart before demolition

Colour photograph of a church building, constructed in greying sand stone, with ivy climbing up wall on attached building; originally the Chalmer’s Free Church and Manse, in Hobart, on the corner of Harrington and Bathurst streets, later the Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church; congregation merged with St Andrew’s in Hobart to form, Scots Church; Chalmers church building sold in 1954 to Neptune Oil Company, which demolished it to construct a fuel station.

Hal Wyatt

Church at Lauderdale

Colour photograph of sandstone church building at Lauderdale surrounded by picket fence.

Hal Wyatt

Cleburne homestead 1970s

Colour photograph of Cleburne Homestead, also known as the Mount Direction Homestead, a dwelling built in the 1830s at Risdon and threatened with demolition during the construction of the nearby Bowen Bridge.

Hal Wyatt

Boats moored at Constitution Dock in front of Marine Board building

Colour photograph of boats moored at Constitution Dock, Hobart, early 1970s, with distinctive 11-storey brown clad Marine Board of Hobart building, visible in background. Image was erroneously labelled as being taken in 1954, but Marine Board of Hobart building was constructed between 1970 and 1972.

Hal Wyatt

Dark sails on yacht

Colour photograph shows sailors in small yacht, with dark mainsail, on Derwent River, at dusk.

Hal Wyatt

Results 1 to 100 of 724