Showing 835 results

Archival description
South-East Tasmania
Print preview View:

724 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Wrest Point Hotel 1952

Photograph depicts forecourt of Wrest Point Hotel, Sandy Bay, showing front door with decorative masonry, with five dolphins, ship with St George Cross atop front door. Man in brown uniform standing alongside a Holden FX with dark body paintwork and a yellow painted roof, a taxi affiliated with Hobart's Yellow Cabs, Tasmanian licence plate WXG 772.

Hal Wyatt

At the Yacht Club

Colour photograph shows yachts at Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania and cars parked beside waterfront

Hal Wyatt

Wreck on beach near Mars Bluff

Colour photograph of rotting timbers from wreck of boat, half-buried in the sand near shallow creek on beach near Mars Bluff, Bruny Island, Photograph possibly taken 1963.

The Mercury - 21 June 1887

One newspaper, The Mercury, published by Charles Ellis Davies, Macquarie St., Hobart . This edition : Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria Supplement dated 21 June 1887

Charles Ellis Davies

Correspondence 1917-1918

Letters to children (including letter to Margaret for her birthday enclosing cigarette card), certificate that Sapper W. Fuller was employed in the ordnance department, A.I.F.

William Edwin Fuller

Correspondence 1929-1942

Correspondence dated 1929 - 1942. Including letters from Solicitor and agreement with Oldham & Morris, notice of opening of W. E. Fuller's "The Bookshelf" 48 Elizabeth Street, (underneath Goodwill Store), plan of basement of 48 Elizabeth Street; letters from Joan McLennan, Governor's private secretary, Government House; correspondence with A.B.C. and 7HO relation to broadcasts, plays submitted, etc. (including A.B.C. contracts).

William Edwin Fuller

Correspondence 1932-1952

Personal correspondence with friends, but including some letters from booksellers and publishers, etc. referring to bookselling business, broadcasting, etc. Also letters concerning Repertory Theatre Society.

William Edwin Fuller

Cuttings etc.

Loose in file. Notes, cuttings, etc. relating mainly to Fuller's Bookshop; also banquet menu, 1954. National Booksellers' League cricket dinner; poem: "24 hour leave" by H.B. from Punch 8 October 1941; account; of the wreck of the George III (Govt. House, 1939)

William Edwin Fuller

Scripts of articles, talks and plays

Scripts of articles, broadcast talks, plays, etc.
Including:
(a) talks: "50 years of bookselling", "Trollope in Tasmania", ''Marie Corelli", "Roy Bridges", "Travellers Tales" and other talks on books and bookselling.
(b) stories, including: "Over the footlights:, "My tongue is my Undoing", "Doff & Jan", "Quoth the Raven".
(c) plays (10 -20 minutes) including: - ''Murder premeditated", "The 2nd Stool", "Decree Nice Eye", "The Spanish Armada".
(d) W.E. Fuller, " Love London & Lynette", London, 1919.

William Edwin Fuller

Youth Triumphant" by Roy Bridges

Cuttings of Roy Bridges serial published in the Saturday Evening Mercury 14 August 1954 to 13 November 1954 entitled ''Youth
Triumphant"

William Edwin Fuller

Newspapers

Collection of newspapers and magazines
• The Mercury, 1 May 1935 (Royal Jubilee supplement), 1 June 1935 and 20 February 1954 (Queen's visit).
• Illustrated Tasmanian Mail - 6 November 1929.
• Clemes College Souvenir Magazine December 1945 (including tribute to W. H. Clemes with photograph and history of the school)
• Cutting of 'Memories of Queenstown No.1" by C. R. Pearce.
• ''The Lover's Correspondent", London, N.D. [18--]

William Edwin Fuller

Theatrical photographs

Collection of photographs including Group in musical entertainment, including W. E. and Frances Fuller, c. 1912, with programme of "Entertainment by the Mountebanks", Moonah Mission Hall, 1912. W. E. Fuller portraying various parts (especially a rural character) for Hobart Repertory c. 1921 - 1940. Mary Fuller as Little Peter Saunders "Passers By", Theatre Royal 19~(part photograph, part
drawing by Jack Cato, framed.) Photos of broadcast for A.B.C. of "Mari.e Celeste" made on board "Lenna" in Derwent (1930s).

William Edwin Fuller

Bookshop photographs

Book shop photographs. Library, probably Angus & Robertson, Sydney c. 1909 including Miss Frances Ruby Evans (later Mrs. W. E. Fuller) Collins Street, Arcade, W. E. and Mrs. Fuller and Miss C. Parker standing in front of opening in brickwork, 1930 (also cutting of Illustrated Tasmanian Mail, 3 December 1930). Snapshots of books being loaded on truck outside house and unloading outside
"Goodwill Store", Elizabeth Street (Fullers was in basement under "Goodwill") with negatives. c. 1932 - 1935 Tasmanian Book Club display, J. Walch &Sons. N.D. W. E. Fuller in Bookshelf Gallery.- Views in bookshop c. 1940 - 50. Booksellers' Conference
N.D. (c. 1930):­ Photo C. J. Frazer, Melbourne Photo (framed N.D. (?1930-40) Also snapshots of Booksellers' Conference,Hobart, (with negatives.)

William Edwin Fuller

Diary, pocketbooks and letters

Diary and other material relating to Edwin Charles Fuller (1885-1921) father of W.E. Fuller
Diary dated 1888. Probably kept by E. C. Fuller. Occasional entries only. Refers to "Mother and Marion (e.g. took Mother & Marion to Black Bush), Charley, Bessie, Ada, Margaret and Mary (Margaret plans Mary disposes"); also to mining shares and mine claim especially "Castle Carey", and to council meetings ('.'attended council meeting in morning going through assessment roll").

William Edwin Fuller

Tourist map of Tasmania

One tourist map of Tasmania dated 1934. Inset map of Hobart. Produced by the Government Printer Tasmania. Scale 1 in: 10 mls , - Linen backed map, folded

William Edwin Fuller

Buttons, badges and medals

Commemorative button c 1914 -1947, Appeal buttons (mainly World War
I) including Red Cross, Wattle Day, child welfare,0 A S.,Tin Hat Appeal, Musical Day 1917.
Also uniform badges and buttons, Australian Commonwealth Forces, A I F badge issued to women of Australia for duty done.
Also Franklin and Tasman Centenary Regatta 1938

William Edwin Fuller

Script "Africa calling"

Script of a play entitled "Africa calling" written by M Gibson and W E Fuller

William Edwin Fuller

Degree of Associate of Arts

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Annual Reports of the Hobart Chamber of Commerce

Annual reports of the Hobart Chamber of Commerce for the period 1910 to 1919. Includes names of officers, list of members (including trade and names officers), report of committee, summary of production, commerce and trade.
• 3. - 1910-1911
• 4. - 1911-1912
• 5. - 1913-1914
• 6. - 1914-1915
• 7. - 1916
• 8. - 1917
• 9. - 1918
• 10. - 1919

Hobart Chamber of Commerce

Track to waterfall

Black-and-white photograph shows path to near base of waterfall in foothills of Mount Wellington, two men standing near a barrel beside a metal mesh and barbed wire fence and a padlocked gate barring access to the stream

Ruins of church at Port Arthur

Black-and-white photograph shows ruins of the church at Port Arthur, damaged by fire in 1884,with charred timber framework in the roof, remnant shingles on the roof and climbing plants covering the sandstone of the church walls. Handwritten words “Church at Port Arthur” in lower left corner of image.

Buildings on Salamanca Place

Black-and-white photograph shows stone buildings along Salamanca Place, timber stacked on New Wharf and masts of ships docked at the wharf; signs on buildings for “A.E. Lord Wool Merchant” and “W.D. Peacock and Co.”, historic home Lenna and eastern conservatory visible on hilltop behind towards Battery Point; maritime signal station with the Time Ball that was dropped automatically at 1pm, after a relayed telegraph signal from the Melbourne Observatory.

Barnes Bay 1960

Colour photograph taken 1960 of Barnes Bay, Bruny Island, showing shoreline, road and culvert, paddocks with horses and cattle grazing

Beach at Taroona 1951

Colour photograph of rocky foreshore at Taroona, 1951, with woman sitting on rock in foreground; shot tower visible in hills in rear of picture

Hal Wyatt

Repairs on Tasman Bridge roadspan

Photograph in colour, taken from Eastern Shore of Derwent River, depicting repairs to roadway and pylons damaged in January 1975 crash of bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra. Mount Wellington in background.

Hal Wyatt

Tasman Bridge works

Construction site on riverbank as work begins on Tasman Bridge; cranes, steel scaffolding and brickwork evident. Workers in hard hats; one man striding towards camera, wearing gumboots is poking his tongue out at the photographer.

Hal Wyatt

Hobart Bridge and Tasman Bridge in winter 1964

Colour photograph of two bridges across the Derwent River, the Hobart Bridge, right, and the Tasman Bridge, left, as viewed from the eastern shore of the Derwent in August 1964. Snow caps Mount Wellington in the background.

Hal Wyatt

Chalmer’s church building in Hobart before demolition

Colour photograph of a church building, constructed in greying sand stone, with ivy climbing up wall on attached building; originally the Chalmer’s Free Church and Manse, in Hobart, on the corner of Harrington and Bathurst streets, later the Chalmer’s Presbyterian Church; congregation merged with St Andrew’s in Hobart to form, Scots Church; Chalmers church building sold in 1954 to Neptune Oil Company, which demolished it to construct a fuel station.

Hal Wyatt

Church at Lauderdale

Colour photograph of sandstone church building at Lauderdale surrounded by picket fence.

Hal Wyatt

Cleburne homestead 1970s

Colour photograph of Cleburne Homestead, also known as the Mount Direction Homestead, a dwelling built in the 1830s at Risdon and threatened with demolition during the construction of the nearby Bowen Bridge.

Hal Wyatt

Boats moored at Constitution Dock in front of Marine Board building

Colour photograph of boats moored at Constitution Dock, Hobart, early 1970s, with distinctive 11-storey brown clad Marine Board of Hobart building, visible in background. Image was erroneously labelled as being taken in 1954, but Marine Board of Hobart building was constructed between 1970 and 1972.

Hal Wyatt

Dark sails on yacht

Colour photograph shows sailors in small yacht, with dark mainsail, on Derwent River, at dusk.

Hal Wyatt

CC & CMA Sub-Committee 1948

CC & CMA Sub-Committee 1948. Left to right: LJ Sylvester – MacRobertson Pty Ltd, Vic. RJ Shield – Morrows Pty Ltd, Queensland, RC Williamson – James Stedman Henderson’s Sweets Ltd, NSW, FA Kirby – Nestle’s Food Specialities (Aust) Ltd, NSW, RD Sibthorpe – Rowntree & Co (Aust) Pty Ltd, Vic, LA Barr – AW Allen Limited, Vic, S Johnston – Secretary, Vic, GL McClure – H Small & Co Pty Ltd, Tas, HV McKernan – Cadbury-Fry-Pascall Pty Ltd, Tas, H Small – H Small &Co Pty Ltd, NSW.

NSW Sales Conference May 1949

NSW Sales Conference May 1949. Left to right. Standing: JK Macnaughtan, GE Wood, NH Simmons (office) FW Thomas, DR Atkins, JC Selwood, NH Stephenson, NS Gray, D Pont, LE Persbo, FA Pollard, E Pask, RC Stevens WA Bergan, KG Woods. Seated: HJ Bradfield (Sydney Accnt) HV McKernam (Sales Director – Claremont) LF McDaole (Sales Manager, NSW) JWC Wyett (Advertising Manager – Claremont) VA Benjafield (Chief Accnt – Claremont) JW Benson. Photograph taken by The Leicgraph Co. Pty. Ltd. 5 Strand Arcade, Sydney

NSW Sales Conference Attendees, May 1949

NSW Sales Conference May 1949. Left to right. Standing: JK Macnaughtan, GE Wood, NH Simmons (office) FW Thomas, DR Atkins, JC Selwood, NH Stephenson, NS Gray, D Pont, LE Persbo, FA Pollard, E Pask, RC Stevens WA Bergan, KG Woods. Seated: HJ Bradfield (Sydney Accnt) HV McKernam (Sales Director – Claremont) LF McDaole (Sales Manager, NSW) JWC Wyett (Advertising Manager – Claremont) VA Benjafield (Chief Accnt – Claremont) JW Benson. Photograph taken by The Leicgraph Co. Pty. Ltd. 5 Strand Arcade, Sydney

Results 1 to 100 of 835