Showing 35 results

Archival description
John Watt Beattie With digital objects
Print preview View:

Old Government House

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Runnymede, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Runnymede, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994

John Watt Beattie

Elizabeth Street Hobart

Lantern slide of Elizabeth Street, Hobart looking north. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

George Washington Walker

Lantern slide of George Washington Walker (1800-1859). Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Government House and St David's Cathedral, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Government House and St David's Cathedral, Van Diemen's Land. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994. Lantern slide of detail from 'The Seat of His Excellency Lieut. Govr. Arthur / drawn from Nature and on Stone' by Charles Atkinson d.1837

John Watt Beattie

Governor Sir Thomas Gore Browne

Lantern slide of Governor Sir Thomas Gore Browne. Governor of Tasmania from 1861-1868. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Savings Bank

Lantern slide of Hobart Savings Bank, Murray Street Hobart c1860. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the Harbour

Lantern slide of an early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land from the harbour. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Cascades' Female Factory

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory looking toward Mt Wellington with the Cascade Brewery in the distance. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Old St. David's Cathedral

Photograph of old St. David's Cathedral on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets, Hobart c. 1870.

John Watt Beattie

Port Arthur

Lantern slide of Port Arthur 1839. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830

Lantern slide of early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

J. Walch and Sons

Lantern slide of J. Walch and Sons, Macquarie Street, Hobart c1880. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Jack, native of Cape Grim

Lantern slide of Jack, native of Cape Grim. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Cascades' Female Factory from the hill

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory looking down the South Hobart Valley toward the Derwent River. Showing yards and gardens. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town Gazette

Lantern slide of front page of the Hobart Town Gazette, June 1816. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Cascades' Female Factory from the rear

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory from the rear showing yards with washing and horse. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern Slide of plan of early Hobart Town, from a survey done in 1804-1805, showing later alterations. The plan also appears in James Backhouse Walker's paper 'The Founding of Hobart, by Lieut.-Governor Collins' read to the Royal Society of Tasmania 14/10/1889. In this he describes the plan, "I am indebted to my friend Mr. Mault for a beautifully executed plan, which shows very clearly the original features of the ground, and the position of the first camp, and also indicates the alterations which have since taken place. It is taken from a survey made by Surveyor-General Harris in 1804-5. The original plan was discovered many years ago in the Lands Office at Sydney, and was presented by the New South Wales Government to our Lands Department. The Deputy- Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. Albert Reid, kindly presented me with a tracing of it."
Lantern slide thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, Elizabeth street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Campbell & Minchin building

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, corner Elizabeth and Bathurst street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Waterfall Bay to Cape Huay

Panorama from Waterfall Bay to Cape Huay on the Tasman Peninsula. The photographer is John Watt Beattie.

John Watt Beattie

Captain Kelly's house

Lantern slide of Captain Kelly's house, Hobart, Tasmania. Thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie