Showing 12 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections Hobart Quakers -- Tasmania -- History
Print preview View:

1 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Friends' Meeting House, Murray Street

Photograph titled First Friends' Meeting House: The first Quaker Meeting House in Hobart. A cottage at 39 Murray Street which was bought by James Backhouse in 1837 with a loan from Meeting for Sufferings, London. The cost was £400 including alterations. Shows Mr Cheverton and Mr Shields and uniformed police constable in front, Holy Trinity Church on hill in background. From 12 February 1832 the visiting Quakers James Backhouse and George Washington Walker held periods of worship in the Quaker manner and others sought leave to join them. These included ex-English Friends who had been transported, some of whom were still prisoners, other convicts and ‘locals’, together with four current members. The gatherings were held in private homes and various rented rooms. The Hobart Meeting began in 1833 when the first Meeting for Discipline was held on 20 September 1833 at the home of Thomas Crouch, Bathurst Street. Members present were Thomas Squire, Ann Pollard (minor), James Backhouse and George Washington Walker. Photograph (mounted) J. Bishop, Osborne (& copy neg)

George Musgrave Parker

View from West Hobart

Mounted photograph of a view of Hobart from West Hobart, showing the tower of old St. David's Cathedral

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the river

Photograph of Hobart harbor and mountain (snow topped) from river, showing sailing ships, steam ferries. Glossy print, on "cabinet" mount, T. Crawford, Hobart.

James Backhouse Walker

Stone house

Photograph of stone house, two storied, pillared front entrance with double steps, apron clad servants standing on steps.

James Backhouse Walker