- 1807-1872 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 reel of microfilm
Name of creator
The Amos family arrived in Tasmania in March 1821 aboard the Emerald, and were advised to look for land on the unsettled east coast. Adam's capital entitled him to a grant of 1000 acres (405 ha) which he located on the Swan River at Cranbrook, and called Gala. By 1824 his mill was supplying the district with flour, and five years later he had many other substantial improvements. For more information : http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/amos-adam-1703
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- Diary of Adam Amos (1774-1845), May 1822 - Dec 1825. A record of chief happenings in the district of Great Swan Port of which he was Chief District Constable, including notes of musters and convict passes, with names.
- Adam Amos (1774-1845), letters outward, 1807-1844, mostly to his sons.
- Adam Amos (1774-1845, letters inward, 1833-1841, including receipts. 4. James Amos (1804-1864), letters inward, 1837-1850.
- James Amos (1804-1864), will.
- Letters from George Meredith to his wife Mary, nee Evans, 2 Mar 1823 & 25 Apr 1825.
- Letter from George Meredith jun. to Mary Meredith (nee Evans), 6 Aug 1833.
- Letter from Maria, Mrs John Meredith (nee Hammond), to her daughter Jessie Meredith, 3 May 1885.
- Letter to Captain Thomas Watson sen. From niece EN Rayner (?), 13 Oct 1835.
- Letters to Capt. T Watson sen. From George Vaux, 18 Mar 1837 & 10 Nov 1838.
- Bill of lading for the shipment from Leith of 4 harrows and 2 ploughs, 23 Jul 1814.
- Copy of map in Survey Office signed by J H Wedge, 7 Oct 1826, of grant of George Meredith for 2,000acres at Great Swanport, and a description in handwriting of George Frankland, of additional grant of 1,000 acres.
- Letter to Mrs Mary Lyne from Jessie Amos (?), 10 May, 2 Oct.
- Letter from Elizabeth Lyne to Mary Amos, n.d.
- Letter to Mary Amos from?, 5 May 1839.
- Letters from Mrs Louisa Bell (nee Meredith) to Margaret Amos (1809-1896), 26 Aug 1885 & 2 Apr 1886.
I 7. Letter from Adam Amos to ? , 19 Oct 1872.
- Adam Amos to ? Mrs Amos, 1873.
- Diary of John Amos, 1 Jan 1840-May1843.
- Manuscript copy in 1880-1900 style writing, of "Grandfather Amos' Diary", 1 Jan 1854-21 Jan 1858.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
The film had to be made before careful sorting of the papers was possible and some letters have therefore been filmed out of their best order
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement: “Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Existence and location of originals
Original documents held by the family.
Mr M Amos, 'Gala', Cranbrook, Tasmania, 7275 (now Mrs G Amos, 'Glen Gala' Cranbrook Tasmania 7275).
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Name access points
- Glen Gala (Subject)