Series - Accounts

Identity area

Reference code

Title

Accounts

Date(s)

  • 1882-1934 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

2 volumes and 1 quarto exercise book

Context area

Name of creator

(1862-1945)

Administrative history

The School was founded in June 1862, originally as the 'Hobart Town Female Refuge' to provide a home for neglected girls and train them in washing, sewing and domestic work. It was managed by a committee of ladies elected by subscribers, usually under the patronage of the Governor's wife, but five gentlemen were elected as governors and formed an advisory committee. The School occupied various temporary houses until 1873 when the committee leased buildings in the Barracks, which premises were extended in 1879 when the School took the protestant girls from the Queen's Orphan School, New Town, which was being closed. In 1892 it moved to 'Kensington House', Davey Street (now the Trades Hall) and finally in 1924 it moved to 'Maylands', Pirie Street, New Town. The School took 30 to 40 girls, usually between 6 and 14, but occasionally younger, and the committee liked to keep them beyond their committal period until they were 16 and trained for service, unless there were suitable relatives. They were usually referred by a magistrate and supported by the Government, by relatives or by donations and the little earned by laundry and sewing work. The children were looked after by a matron and sub-matron and ladies of the committee visited in turn. As well as instruction in domestic work the children were given some basic education, by a Schoolmistress appointed after the transfer of the Orphan School girls in 1879, and after 1925 attended state school, and also received religious instruction from local ministers or Sunday school teachers.
In February 1945 the School was transferred to the Salvation Army.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Deposited by W. Hudspeth

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Treasurer's expenditure accounts and a notebook recording girls pocket money.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open

Conditions governing reproduction

This material is made available for personal research and study purposes under the University of Tasmania Standard Copyright Licence. For any further use permission should be obtained from the copyright owners. For assistance please contact Special.Collections@utas.edu.au

When reusing this material, please cite the reference number and provide the following acknowledgement:
“Courtesy of the UTAS Library Special & Rare Collections”

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Original inventory and descriptive notes can be found at https://eprints.utas.edu.au/10930/2/Girls_Industrial_School_.pdf

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

CE September 2018

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places