William Wood

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

William Wood

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Captain William Wood

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1778- 1863

History

Captain William Wood, (1778- 1863) born at Hastings, England, buried at St Andrews Anglican Cemetery, Longford, Tasmania. Captain Wood served with a British Expeditionary Force in the West Indies and was present at the capture of the French island colony of Guadeloupe where he met and married his wife Marie Hyacinthe Genevieve de Gouges the only child of General Pierre Aubrey de Gouges, late Governor of French Guiana. Wood retired from the Army in 1824 after selling his commission for £1,800. Two years later he and his wife and five children emigrated to Van Diemen's Land under an inducement of the offer of land to retired military men. The family arrived at Hobart Town on 25 October 1829 aboard the brig, Mary Anne. Captain Wood took up a grant of 2,000 acres at Snakes Bank, now Powranna, and named his property Hawkridge after the family manor near Tiverton in Devon. He applied for a further grant of 2,000 acres and in time he had increased the size
Pageant / by G. B. Lancaster published by Endeavour Press in 1933 (Morris Miller-Fisher College Rare-Book PR 9619.3 .L321 P3 1933a) Is said to be the story of the Woods family with Captain Wood portrayed as Captain Comyn.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC