Tasmanian Council of Education

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Tasmanian Council of Education

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1859-1890

History

The Tasmanian Council of Education was established in 1859 to hold university entrance examinations ‘in imitation of the Oxford and Cambridge annual local examinations’. The TCE awarded scholarships for higher school education, an Associate of Arts award (equivalent to matriculation) and two annual scholarships for study at a British university. Its elaborate seal, bearing an open book, a star and a rose, was designed by Bishop of Tasmania F.R. Nixon. When the University of Tasmania was established in 1890 it took over the functions of the TCE

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

AU TAS UTAS SPARC R11

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC