Showing 2562 results

Archival description
Image
Print preview View:

2562 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern Slide of plan of early Hobart Town, from a survey done in 1804-1805, showing later alterations. The plan also appears in James Backhouse Walker's paper 'The Founding of Hobart, by Lieut.-Governor Collins' read to the Royal Society of Tasmania 14/10/1889. In this he describes the plan, "I am indebted to my friend Mr. Mault for a beautifully executed plan, which shows very clearly the original features of the ground, and the position of the first camp, and also indicates the alterations which have since taken place. It is taken from a survey made by Surveyor-General Harris in 1804-5. The original plan was discovered many years ago in the Lands Office at Sydney, and was presented by the New South Wales Government to our Lands Department. The Deputy- Commissioner of Crown Lands, Mr. Albert Reid, kindly presented me with a tracing of it."
Lantern slide thought to have been prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of funeral notice of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins

Lantern slide of the death of Lieutenant Governor David Collins, 1810. From The Derwent Star, and Van Diemen’s Land Intelligencer no. 7, Tuesday April 3rd 1810. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Andrew Gatenby : Militia substitute certificate

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC G7
  • Collection
  • 1814

Militia substitute certificate dated December 1814. Certificate of enrolment of substitute to serve in place of A. Gatenby, Appleton le Moors, North Riding of Yorkshire, namely Robert Graystock, wheelwright. Until the 19th century militia units were used in home defence and maintaining law and order in vulnerable locations such as Ireland and the south coast of England. Militia units did not have to serve overseas, but they were seen as a useful reserve of trained men. Bounties were offered to militiamen who exchanged into the regular Army for overseas service.
Many of the men serving in the militia were substitutes serving on behalf of those whose names had been drawn in the county ballot. These substitutes often made a charge for taking over the duties. When the militia was fully embodied on a permanent footing during periods of war, a higher figure could be demanded and obtained. The regiment benefited by receiving experienced soldiers instead of raw recruits.

.

Andrew Gatenby

Hobart Town Gazette

Lantern slide of front page of the Hobart Town Gazette, June 1816. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1817

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, in February, 1817. Inscribed with the words 'Hobart Town in 1817. Drawn by Lieut. Charles Jeffreys' - also shows the Government schooner the Kangaroo , church, Government House and Fort.

Charles Jeffreys

Knopwood Sermons

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC K1
  • Collection
  • 1801-1829

Manuscripts of sermons preached by Rev. Knopwood in Tasmania dated 1801 - 1829

Robert Knopwood

Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town Harbour, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830

Lantern slide of early print of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land

Lantern slide of Hobart Town from Mulgrave Battery, Van Diemen's Land, in 1830. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Robert & Ann Mather Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M10
  • Collection
  • 1821-1835

Papers relating to the voyage out and settlement of Robert Mather and his wife, Ann (Benson). Many of the papers (Ml0/16-20) consist of extracts from letters from Ann Mather to her brother, Rev. Samuel Benson, and sisters Isabella Whytall and Sarah Benson (m. Hammond 1832), in UK and were probably given to their niece, Sarah Benson Mather who married George Washington Walker in 1840, after Ann Mather's death in 1831.

Robert Mather

Port Arthur

Lantern slide of Port Arthur 1839. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839

Lantern slide of Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, from Old Wharf in 1839. From the collection of James Backhouse Walker. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Old Government House

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Hobart Town from the Queen's Domain

Photograph of Hobart Town, Tasmania, from the Queen's Domain, looking down Macquarie Street in the 1850s. This photograph appears on page 27 of Allan Sierp's 'Colonial Life in Tasmania: Fifty Years of Photography 1855-1905' (Rigby, 1976)

Dean Letters

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC D8
  • Collection
  • 1850-1852

Two handwritten letters addressed to William Dean. One letter has engraving of Hobsons Bay and Williams Town, Port Phillip. HAM brothers, Engravers. Published by John Hunter, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne

William Dean

Sketches of Rosedale

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC L1-H-100 &101
  • Item
  • c1850-1854
  • Part of Leake Papers

Two pen sketches of Rosedale showing tower and weather vane, porticos and terraces, conservatory, stables etc, gardens. Drawn by John Travis Leake, c1850 - 1854

John Travis Leake

Watercolour of Christ's College at Bishopbourne

Watercolour of Christ's College at Bishopbourne, Tasmania by Bishop Francis Russell Nixon founder of the College.
Modern typed note accompany painting.
Inscription on the back of the watercolour (in Gell's handwriting)
"The little pointed roof to the extreme left is the stand in the cricket ground. In the centre the Coll: Warden's rooms the left end, then the library, then the North buildings in which re the Sub-warden's rooms, terminated by the bell-tower.
To the right, barns, stables and out-houses.
The Western Mountains with Christ's College Jan .24th 1854"

Francis Russell Nixon

Degree of Associate of Arts

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Henry Lewis Garrett : Degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC C8
  • Collection
  • 1863

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Seal of Tasmanian Council of Education 1859, red wax, lozenge shaped, backed paper: open book "Floreat Tasmania' on diamond pattern, in tin (separate from document). Diploma has decorative border of oak Leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

Macquarie Street, Hobart from Mercury Office

Photograph of north Macquarie Street from the Mercury office (with verandah) corner Macquarie and Argyle Street. Showing the Hobart Town Hall, Franklin Square and the Treasury buildings. Photographed byy Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets. Taken before September 25 1866, as this is the date of the grand opening of the Town Hall, shown on the left-hand side of the photograph

Anson Brothers

Wood's huts

Photograph of Wood's huts at the Springs, Mount Wellington, in 1870 with old couple and younger gentleman and boy sitting outside. On the reverse of the photo post card 'Do you remember them. Huts and old Mr. and Mrs. Wood'.

Man with a gun on the road to Mt Wellington

Photograph of road to Mt Wellington showing man with a gun hunting. Taken in about 1870 by Alfred Winter, who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

New Town from the Orphan School grounds

Photograph from the Orphan School grounds, New Town, Tasmania c.1870s. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Mill on New Town Creek

Photograph of Old Mill at New Town Creek showing creek, buildings and mill wheel. Mt Wellington in distance

James Backhouse Walker

Government House from the shipyards

Photograph of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania in about 1870. Showing the shipyard in the foreground and Mount Direction behind.. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Franklin Square and Hobart waterfront

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Franklin Square and the Hobart waterfront taken in about 1870 possibly from St. David's Cathedral according to a note on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Sandy Bay Road

Photograph of Sandy Bay Road, with St. Helena , later Wrest Point, on the left.

James Backhouse Walker

View from Mr. Robert's garden, West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking towards the Eastern Shore. The panorama has been taken from Mr. Roberts' garden with various shrubs and a Norfolk Island pine in the foreground. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart, looking towards St. George's Hill, Battery Point. Showing St Georges Church and James Luckman's windmill probably taken in the 1870s.

James Backhouse Walker

Old St. David's Cathedral

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking east towards Elizabeth Street from the Civil Court in about 1880. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1880.

Alfred Winter

Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south in about 1870. The Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House are two of the buildings featured. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Commercial Bank

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street c. 1870. Some of Franklin Square on left Commercial Bank on right. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Commercial Bank

Photograph of the Commercial Bank, Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street in c1877 after old St. Davids Cathedral was pulled down. The photograph is attributed to Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Track to Fern Tree Bower

Photograph of the track to Fern Tree Bower, Mount Wellington before taken prior to 1870

James Backhouse Walker

View from Mr. Robert's garden, West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking towards the Eastern Shore. The panorama has been taken from Mr. Roberts' garden with various shrubs and a Norfolk Island pine in the foreground. Henry Hall Baily is the photographer. He had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Old St. David's Cathedral

Photograph of old St. David's Cathedral on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets, Hobart c. 1870.

John Watt Beattie

The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart, looking west in about 1870. The Bank of Van Diemen's Land and Hobart Town Hotel are in the foreground. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Ships and Salamanca warehouses

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of the Hobart waterfront taken in about 1870 with a view of ships moored next to the Salamanca warehouses. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Salamanca and Hobart waterfront

Photograph of Hobart waterfront - Salamanca looking towards Customs House. Could be around 1870. Photograph appears to have been taken in front of the warehouses near the wharf with ships alongside and a shingle roofed wooden building in the foreground.

Waterworks Valley

Photograph of Stony Steps or Waterworks Valley, Hobart, Tasmania with Livingstone's house Marydale in the foreground and the Waterworks dam in the background, c.1870.

James Backhouse Walker

Old Mill at New Town Creek

Photograph of Old Mill at New Town Creek showing creek, buildings and mill wheel. Mt Wellington in distance

James Backhouse Walker

Liverpool Street Hobart

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart at the intersection of Elizabeth Street. Show gas lighting taken about 1870. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Sullivans Cove

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Sullivan's Cove in about 1870 according to a note on the reverse. Taken from around Victoria Dock, Old St David's cathedral in background. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

St. Joseph's Catholic Church

Photograph of Macquarie Street Hobart including St. Joseph's Catholic Church c. 1870. The view is looking west. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Huts on Huon Road

Photograph of Huon Road near Fern Tree Inn, Hobart, Tasmania, in about 1872 showing clearing and huts

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart view to the east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of an elevated view of Hobart looking east taken near Browne Street, (about 1876, according to a note on the reverse). Warwick Street in the foreground. Photographed by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from the top of Murray Street

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from the top of Murray St in about 1876 according to notes on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Sullivans Cove from Battery Point

Photograph taken from Battery Point of Sullivans Cove. Taken from a garden with fountain in the foreground. Dated about 1876 and taken by photographer Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Public buildings in Macquarie Street

Photograph of public buildings in Macquarie Street, Hobart opposite St. Davids Cathedral site, corner Collins Street c. 1876. Mail coach is in front of the Post Office.

Webb's Hotel

Photograph of Webb's Hotel, later Hadley's, Murray Street, Hobart, in about 1877. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC R11
  • Collection
  • 1878

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts, awarded to Mary Friend Whitney Canaway of Hobart, by the Tasmanian Council of Education dated 17th October 1878. Includes wafer seal. Examined and passed in the following subjects. English with credit, French with credit, German, Italian with credit and Mathematics with credit. Mary Friend Whitney Canaway has been awarded the Councils first prize for English and the Councils first prize for Italian. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Mary Friend Whitney Canaway

Hobart looking south east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart looking South East with a garden in the foreground and Elizabeth Street in the middle distance. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1874-1880.

James Backhouse Walker

Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from the foot of St. George's Hill in about 1870. The view is from the corner of Albeura St and Sandy Bay Rd. The photographer's name, Woolley, is recorded in a note on the reverse and presumably refers to Charles Alfred.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart view

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Hobart viewing over St. Davids Park, probably from Hampden Road, (in about 1878 according to a note on the reverse). The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart from Huon Road looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from Huon Road looking east in about 1879, according to notes on the reverse.

James Backhouse Walker

Track to Fern Tree Bower, Mt Wellington

Photograph of the track to Fern Tree Bower, Mount Wellington before taken prior to 1879 by Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins, and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Elizabeth Street looking toward Memorial Congregational Church

Photograph of Elizabeth Street Hobart looking north in about 1879. Legrands old shop is on the right and the old post offfice and Ship hotel are also visible according to notes on the reverse of the photo. Also shown is the Tasmanian pale ales store and the All Nations hotelThe photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Port Arthur from behind the church and doctor's house

Photograph of the settlement of Port Arthur from behind the church and Doctor's house c. 1880. View of vegetable gardens in foreground. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Henry Hall Baily

Government House from the Domain

Vignette photograph of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania taken from the Domain in about 1880. Showing gentleman in a bowler hat sitting on mound.

Fern Tree Bower and Silver Falls,

Photographs of Silver Falls, Fern Tree Bower, Mount Wellington c.1880 taken by Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins, and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

New Town and Mt. Direction

Photograph of New Town and Mt. Direction, Hobart, Tasmania from the hill above Beaulieu. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891..

Alfred Winter

View of Hobart from West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart. Looking down Murray & Harrington Streets. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Hobart looking east

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart looking east toward the river, showing Holy Trinity Church. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918..

James Backhouse Walker

Waterloo House

Photograph of Waterloo House on the corner of Murray and Davey Streets, Hobart, Tasmania in 1880. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Commandant's house and jetties at Port Arthur

Photograph of the commandant's house and jetties, Port Arthur c. 1880. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Sullivans Cove and Hunter Island

Photograph of Sullivans Cove and Hunter Island taken from the eastern end of Salamanca with garden in the foreground and two ships alongside the wharf. c.1880

Hobart waterfront

View of Hobart waterfront c.1880 showing docks, carts, ships at anchor and woodyard

Hobart streetscape in snow

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a Hobart streetscape in snow - looking towards Mt Nelson and Sandy Bay.

James Backhouse Walker

Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Mt. Wellington from St. George's Hill with Hawthorn Cottage in the foreground and Bishopscourt - Garden Crescent and Davey Street Chapel in the background (according to notes on the reverse). The photographer was the Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Murray Street, above Liverpool Street intersection

Photograph of Murray Street, taken from above the Liverpool Street intersection, Hobart, in about 1880. Webb's Hotel and Alexander McGregor's house, Lenna, are visible in the distance. Also shows Bishopsbourne Photographic studo; Ready & Mulcahy Drapers & Clothiers; Head and Plowman Baby Linen Warehouse Millinery & Underclothing ; Burgess & Barrett Provision merchants, Tea Dealers ; Bidencope Tailor & Hatter; J. Roberts Billiard & Coffee Saloon

Port Arthur church and Penitentiary

Photograph of Port Arthur church and Penitentiary with view of Mt. Arthur in the distance. The photographers were Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Port Arthur Penitentiary

Photograph of Port Arthur Penitentiary c. 1880. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891

Anson Brothers

Port Arthur from behind the church

Photograph of Port Arthur from behind the church with ship in the harbour, taken by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

View from the Botanical Gardens

Photograph of view from the Botanical Gardens, Hobart, Tasmania in about 1880. Three Norfolk Island pines dominate the foreground and the view looks out to the River Derwent and Eastern Shore. The photographers were Anson Brothers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

The Tasmanian Club, Macquarie Street, Hobart

Photograph of the Tasmanian Club formally the Derwent Bank, and Walch's building with a landau outside. The Tasmanian Club is a Georgian style building designed by architect James Alexander Thomson and built in 1846 for banker and merchant Captain Charles Swanston as the Derwent Bank. After the depression of the 1840's the Bank went into liquidation and the building was bought by the Tasmania Club in April 1873 and is still their residence today. The Tasmanian Club was established in 1861 in Hobart by seventy gentlemen. It was founded on the 'London pattern', that is, election or exclusion of candidates by ballot. The photographers are Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Results 1 to 100 of 2562