Showing 987 results

Archival description
Private Deposit Collection : University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Collections With digital objects
Print preview View:

Interview - part one

Part one of an interview with Peter Jones by Ben Ross from the Oralhistorycompany.com . Recorded February 21st 2019

Peter D Jones

Marjorie Bligh Photograph Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC PhDig/Bligh
  • Collection
  • 1910-2011

Collection consists of a series of digital photographs taken for an exhibition of Marjorie Bligh's work held at the University of Tasmania, Morris Miller Library in 2011. They include photographs of Marjorie's personal photograph collection and photographs of her handcrafts.

Marjorie Bligh

Tasmanian Society of Honorary Justices : Honour Board

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC T7
  • Collection
  • 2001

Three photographs of the Honour Board of Tasmanian Society of Honorary Justices, located in hallway (Elizabeth Street entrance) Hobart Town Hall. Honour Board presented to Society by Mr F. G. Shepherd, QPM, JP. Historical notes : 1922 - 1994 dates/names confirmed by joint Society and University of Tasmania (History Department) research of available public records.
Photo credit. Mr. P. Baker. 12 December, 2000.

Tasmanian Society of Honorary Justices

Bottle of wine

Green bottle of red wine, with cork in. Label reads: 'University Rugby Club Red 1986. George Wilson, the Club patron, with black and white photo, 1983 under. Cabernet Sauvignon. An elegant red for the true red man and Club supporter, eminently suitable for imminent consumption or short term cellaring

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Margaret Sturge Watts Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2017/1
  • Collection
  • 1906

Papers of Margaret Sturge Watts include photo albums of relief work in Central Europe after World War I, an autograph album, visitors books, journals, an unpublished autobiography, newspaper cuttings and miscellaneous items including the notification and congratulatory letters for Margaret Watts' MBE in 1957 for her work in the 'assimiliation of new settlers.'

Margaret Sturge Watts

George Wilson Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC 2019/1
  • Collection
  • 1932 - 1980

Collection consists of rugby memorabilia and other material relating to the life and work of George Wilson, master of Hytten Hall, the University of Tasmania's first residential college

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Presentation bucket

Silver plated presentation bucket, inscribed 'The George Wilson Award for outstanding service to the Tasmanian Rugby Union. Presented on behalf of Australian Universities Rugby men by R.A.O. Martin and R.L. Newman as a token of the esteem and affection held for George Wilson over the period 1947-1975. Hobart Tasmania March 1975' On base: Kenson EP A1

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Olive Pink Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC P6
  • Collection
  • 1931 -1973

Sketches, mainly in pencil and crayon, made by Olive Muriel Pink of flowers found in the north of South Australia, Central and North Australia. The majority were made between June and December 1930, at various places along the railway between Port Augusta and Alice Springs. Later sketches were made in various parts of Australia between 1931 and 1960, but often without a note of the place and date. The sketches were often hurriedly made on pieces of thin, cheap paper, or even pieces of cardboard or brown paper. Some were coloured with crayon and a few, more finished drawings were coloured with watercolours. A later donation was made of books, personal belongings and sketches. A second series was received from the family of Olive Pink in 2016, this series includes Olive Pink's book collection, photographs, paintings, letters, items of clothing and other ephemera and memorabilia, some of which are nationally significant in their own right - such as the book plate made by Adrian Feint, notes and sketches done whilst camping with Daisy Bates, and photographs documenting life in Central Australia.

Olive Pink

Drysdale Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC D10
  • Collection
  • 1954-1971

Material relating to the Tasmanian lottery, the origins of the Drysdales of Dollar and note of interview with Drysdale's daughter

Arthur James Drysdale

Edmund Morris Miller Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M9
  • Collection
  • 1903-1970

Collection consists of corresspondence recieved, and draft correspondence. Also includes Library Associations, personal records, university lecture notes and papers relating to the University Library. Notes and drafts of publications and lectures and photographs

Edmund Morris Miller

Tankard 1968

Super fine lead less pewter tankard, inscribed 'Presented to Mr George Wilson, Coach, by University Under 19 Premiers 1968'. Inscription on base: 'Good on you "George!" "Lang may your lum reek" (Scottish, literally translates to "Long may your chimney smoke!", signifying "may you live long"). Huntly. Made in Australia by Silcraft Pty. Ltd., Melbourne

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Tankard 1967

Lead free Kirra pewter tankard, inscribed 'To the Guru from the 1967 Disciples'. Made by Pewter Products P/L, Melbourne, Australia

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Tankard 1966

Leadless pewter tankard, inscribed 'In appreciation T.U.R.U.F.C. 1966'. "Huntly", Silcraft Pty. Ltd., Melbourne

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Fuller Papers

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC F6
  • Collection
  • 1916-1965

Collection consists of personal and business correspondence, financial records, scrapbook and cuttings scripts of broadcasts, stories and plays. Theatre programs, photographs and pins and badges. There is also material collected by Francis Ruby Fuller and Edwin Charles Fuller

William Edwin Fuller

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station

Photograph of the stable at the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of doorway at Braeside

Photograph of doorway at Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph view of arches at the stables, Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Macrocarpa gregoria

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink, "Native Gap" ( Aileron Stn.), 1960. Identified by Olive Pink as Macrocarpa gregoria ( I think) Spinifex Snow - description on back of drawing.

Olive Pink

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside

Photograph of northern wall of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Pussy Tails

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink, (location unknown), 1960. Described by Olive Pink as " popular name Pussy Tails" (ugly?)

Olive Pink

Photograph of the old prison station

Photograph of the old prison station, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960. In 1842 Invercarron became the site of the Broadmarsh Convict Probation Station, which was deemed to be such a disaster [La Trobe’s 1847 report cited ‘utter abandonment of all order and decency’] that it was closed in 1847.

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie

Photograph of doorway at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Braeside from the south west

Photograph of Braeside from the South West, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of the Congregational Church

Photograph of the Congregational Church, Broadmarsh, Tasmania. Taken April 1960.
Two churches were established at Broadmarsh, an Anglican church, St Augustine's in 1847 and a Congregational church in1861.
Location 1497 Elderslie Road. The Broadmarsh Uniting (Congregational) Church was built in 1861 on land owned by William Gunn, at ‘Arndell’.

Photograph of front view of Braeside

Photograph of front view of Braeside, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Now known as Stonefield' , 'Braeside' was built in 1824, located at 266 Elderslie Rd, Lower Broadmarsh. A good example of a two storey Georgian home with a separate kitchen wing

Photograph of window at Strathelie

Photograph of window at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of stables at Strathelie

Photograph of stables at Strathelie, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 974 Elderslie Road Broadmarsh. Strathelie is a very impressive late Georgian house thought to be built by Thomas Johnston in 1851. Constructed of silver grey sandstone, featuring a parapeted facade, enclosed rear courtyard, fine front door and front verandah with slender iron columns. The house is complemented by particularly fine outbuildings comprising stone barn with arched openings and brick stable forming a u-shape about a central yard.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of front view of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Photograph of Roydon

Photograph of the front door of Roydon, Broadmarsh. Taken April 1960. Located at 58 Clifton Vale Road, Elderslie. Sandstone farm house with a central door and flanking double hung windows, an attic level and weatherboard addition to the rear. The building has a hipped roof and narrow boxed eaves. The sandstone stables feature a half hipped roof, sandstone walls and an iron roof. The building is a floor and a half and is still in use as a stable. There are some other early buildings on the site.

Macrocarpa gregoria- verso

Description on back of drawing : Louie an aboriginal worker at Aileron Station used to get it for Mrs (Elsie )Cobson (later Nolan) to send to me. Was never able to paint it from the plant and it faded when sent in. An exquisite blossom that grows close to the ground in Spinifex country hence the name Spinifex Snow : Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink, "Native Gap" ( Aileron Stn.), 1960. Identified by Olive Pink as Macrocarpa gregoria ( I think) Spinifex Snow .

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Watercolour and pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink 1958 (location unknown)

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Water colour and pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink in Alice Springs, 1958

Olive Pink

Tankard 1958

Leadless pewter tankard, engraved 'To George Wilson. From History III B 1958'. Made by Silcraft Pty. Ltd., Melbourne

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Unidentified

Water colour on card sketched by Olive Pink, (location unknown), 1958

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Water colour and pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink in Alice Springs, 1958

Olive Pink

Prostantera striataflora

Water colour on card sketched by Olive Pink, Alice Springs, 1958. Arid regions (of Australia) Native Flora Reserve, Alice Springs. Identified by Olive Pink as botanical name Prostantera striataflora one "popular" name was the silly one of mint bush.

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Water colour on card sketched by Olive Pink 1958 (location unknown)

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Water colour on card sketched by Olive Pink, Alice Springs, 1958

Olive Pink

Capparis seedpod

Water colour and pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink 16/8/58 (location unknown). Identified by Olive Pink as rough sketch of Capparis seedpod (back) "suede texture!"

Olive Pink

Alfred Harrap & Son Collection

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC H4
  • Collection
  • 1857-1957

Collection consists of correspondence concerning wool shipment and an illustrated booklet compiled by C.B. Thomson and issued to celebrate the firms centenary entitled Alfred Harrap & Son Pty Ltd 1857 - 1957

Alfred Harrap & Son

Yam flower

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink 27/12/57 (location unknown). Identified by Olive Pink as "Yam flower? badly done"

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink 10/12/57 (location unknown)

Olive Pink

Capparis

Pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink 4/12/57 (location unknown). Identified by Olive Pink as "Capparis (in profile)"

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Pencil and watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink 30/9/57 (location unknown). Described by Olive Pink as "mauve-green calyx looking down on blossom - a marvel of beauty when looked at closely"

Olive Pink

Cassia

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink 30/9/57 (location unknown). "other Cassia not time for more leaves (foliage) have closed up!"

Olive Pink

Cassia eremophila

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink 30/9/57 (location unknown). Identified by Olive Pink as Cassia eremophila - "very hurried - looks like big storm"

Olive Pink

Lightwood

Pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink 16/9/57, Alice Springs. Identified by Olive Pink as Lightwood (Whitewood)

Olive Pink

Photograph of Home Hut

Black and white photograph of two gum trees planted by mistake in one drum. Called them Naomi & Ruth. Two fig trees in the background.

Tankard 1952

Silver plated tankard, inscribed 'T.U.R.U.F.C., G.Wilson, in appreciation 1952'. On the base: Perfection E.P.N.S. A1

George Thomas Jamieson Wilson

Wild Orange

Pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, at Barrow Creek, 1949. Identified by Olive Pink as Wild Orange. "pale lemon petal and stamens green end to pistil - bright green leaves of leathery texture"

Olive Pink

Photograph of of nine gentleman

Photograph of nine gentlemen, three seated. Photograph named. Back row Thomas Mather, Thomas Binns, Charles H Robey, Lewis May, Robert Mather, N H Propsting. Seated William Wells, J. Francis Mather & William Corben

Friends' School

Unidentified

Watercolur and pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink, from Sister Goulder (Vic), 12/9/49 (from North Road I think?)

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Watercolor on card sketched by Olive Pink, (flower) from Sister Goulder (Vic), 12/9/49, (same as at Thompson's Rock Hole. 1942-46)

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Watercolour and pencil on paper, sketched by Olive pink at Alice Springs 19/8/49. Not identified by Olive Pink

Olive Pink

Prostanthera

Identified as Prostanthera striatiflora . Watercolor on card sketched by Olive Pink near power station at Alice Springs on 7 June 1958
'has aromatic scent (leaves?) (very honeyed flower)

Olive Pink

Results 1 to 100 of 987