Showing 2108 results

Archival description
Image With digital objects
Print preview View:

Degree of Associate of Arts

Diploma of degree of Associate of Arts awarded to Henry Lewis Garrett of Hobart Town, who passed in English, Latin(with credit and prize) Greek, French (with credit) and pure mathematics and was placed in the second class Signed by H. Officer, president of the Tasmanian Council of Education. Diploma has decorative border of oak leaves and acorns designed by Henry Hunter and engraved by Alfred Bock.

Henry Lewis Garrett

View of Hobart from West Hobart

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of a view of Hobart from West Hobart. Looking down Murray & Harrington Streets. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

James Backhouse Walker

Wood's huts

Photograph of Wood's huts at the Springs, Mount Wellington, in 1870 with old couple and younger gentleman and boy sitting outside. On the reverse of the photo post card 'Do you remember them. Huts and old Mr. and Mrs. Wood'.

Mt. Gould & Du Cane Range

Photograph of Mt. Gould and the DuCane Range from Narcissus Valley, Lake St. Clair taken from camp on the left hand side of Narcissus Valley going up (according to notes on the reverse of the photograph).

All Saints Church Macquarie Street

Photograph of All Saints Church, Macquarie Street, Hobart c. 1880 by Anson Brothers, Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Acacia salicina

Coloured pencil drawing sketched by Olive Pink, Beltana, South Australia 17/7/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Acacia salicina

Olive Pink

Brunonia australis

Watercolour and pencil on light green card sketched by Olive Pink at Rodinga, Northern Territory 13/9/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Brunonia australis (Goodeniaceae)

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink, Stanthorpe, Queensland, September, 1925. Not identified by Olive Pink

Olive Pink

Capparis

Water colour and pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Alice Springs, 17/1/41. Identified by Olive Pink as Capparis

Olive Pink

Photograph of Quart-Pot and Mangy, and aboriginal guide Jim

Black and white photograph of Olive Muriel Pink standing next to two camels, 'Quart-Pot'and 'Mangy', with her aboriginal guide Jim at a Central Australian waterhole, 1934, with inscription on the back by Olive Pink, 'To dear Mrs Walker - with love from Olive, Jim, (guide), "Quart-Pot, Olive and "Mangy"!!! (in order, from R to L!!) at a C. Aus. water-hole.' Photographs sent with a letter to her friend Joan Walker in Hobart, Tasmania.

Olive Pink

My camp

Black and white photograph of Olive Pinks camp at Thompsons Rock Hole

Olive Pink

University Blazer

University of Tasmania blazer, oxford blue with rose and primrose stripes with badge of open book (pre-1937 badge from old University seal). Blazers were made by Smale Bros. Tailors, Hobart, unlined, with cloth buttons.

Donald George Rockcliff

Miss Effie Milne

Framed caricature of Miss Effie Milne lady help and companion in the Midwood family.

Thomas Claude Wade Midwood

Photograph of Westcott's Bookshop and circulating library

Photograph of Westcott's Bookshop and circulating library, Collins Street, Hobart. Standing outside are Mr Westcott and a little girl, Till, wearing a pinafore. The photograph shows the shop of John Andrew, Bellhanger. The photograph was made by the University photographer from an original 'stereoscopic' photograph (i.e two adjacent photographs mounted on card to be viewed through a special viewer), made by S. Clifford, Hobart Town. The original was endorsed 'The little girl with pinafore Auntie Till, Dad in his
shirt sleeves standing next to her. Fitzgerald's building now; M. Westcott 4.7.32'.
In this photograph street numbers are not visible. Westcott's circulating library sign is shown on the middle shop in a two-storey brick building, with three shops. The shop on the right has the sign 'Depot Christian Knowledge Society'. The shop on the left has a sign, part of which can be read under a magnifying glass as 'wool warehouse', and underneath on the shop lintel is a faint sign which may include the word 'bookseller" On the right of the photograph a small weatherboard shop bears the sign 'Andrew, Bellhanger'. - W. Westcott of 63 Collins Street, advertised new and second-hand books and a circulating library in Wood's Tasmanian Almanac, 1856 (p.126). The same advertisement appears in Walch's Tasmanian Almanac, 1864, but in the 1865 Almanac the address is given as 63 & 65 Collins Street. However, Hull's Hobart Town Directory, 1859 lists W. Westcott as 65 Collins Street', (65 being apparently the middle shop), so possibly both premises were already occupied by Westcott. By 1871 it had become Westcott's Circulating Library, 63, 65 &67 Collins Street. In 1879 the advertisement read (Westcott, Beedham & Co. circulating library and importers of books, stationery and music', The last advertisement in Walch's almanac appeared in 1881. The Christian Knowledge Society (Tasmanian Auxiliary, President the Lord Bishop of Tasmania}, for which Westcott acted as depository was first listed in Walch's Almanac under (Societies and Institutions) in 1869 (p. 132). John Andrew, Bellhanger, Collins Street, advertised in Wood's Almanac in 1856 (p. 148L and is listed in HuWs Hobart Town Directory of 1859 at 61 Colllns Street. He does not appear in Walch's Almanac of 1863 or any later date, nor was he listed in Macphail's National Directory of Tasmania, 1867-68. S. Clifford, photographer, Liverpool Street, Hobart Town (photographer of album and stereographic portraits, private buildings, shipping, monuments....L advertised in Walch's Almanac of 1864 (p. 43) and again annually up to 1869. It would seem, therefore, that the photograph was probably taken between 1863 and 1869. It is a clear photograph of exceptional quality.

Kenneth McKenzie Dallas

Maatsuyker Lighthouse

Photograph of the lighthouse on Maatsuyker Island, Tasmania, taken on the day of the opening of the lighthouse in 1891

Government House from the shipyards

Photograph of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania in about 1870. Showing the shipyard in the foreground and Mount Direction behind.. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

St. John's Church Goulburn Street

Photograph of St. John's Church Goulburn Street, Hobart taken c1880 the photographers were Anson brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891

Anson Brothers

Murray Street with horse drawn carriages

Photograph of Murray Street, Hobart in 1881 with a row of horse drawn carriages outside the Hobart Savings Bank, Masonic Temple and the Derwent and Tamar Buildings with Webb's hotel (later Hadley's Orient Hotel) in the distance.

Cataract Bridge and Launceston

Photograph of Launceston, Tasmania from beyond the Cataract Bridge. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Tasmania 150th Anniversary

Medal comemorating the Tasmania's 150th Anniversary 1952-4
Silver alloy, 69 mm diameter in plastic case.
Obverse description: Tasmanian Arms, 1803-05 at top, 1953-54 below. Legend round: Tasmania commemorates the 150th Anniversary
of British settlement.
Reverse description : outline map of Tasmania bearing British flag, in wavy sea. Legend round: University of Tasmania, Scientific and
Industrial Exhibition Jan. 1954.

Psoralea patens

Watercolour on paper painted by Olive Pink at Edwards Creek, South Australia, 5/8/30. Notes on paper - "plants grow to about 4ft high". note on flower details "twice actual size or more" Identified by Olive Pink as Psoralea patens.

Olive Pink

Oxylobium

Pencil and watercolour on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Macdonnel Range, Northern Territory, 28/11/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Oxylobium

Olive Pink

Grevillea and Calothamnus

Watercolour and pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink, from Kalamunda, Western Australia, 1912. Line drawn diagonally across card separating pictures. Top section "V" identified by Olive Pink as a Grevillea. Bottom section "VI" identified by Olive Pink as a Calothamnus (above has "a grevillea" crossed out)

Olive Pink

Unidentified

Watercolour on card sketched by Olive Pink, (date and location unknown)

Olive Pink

My flat in Hobart

Black and white photograph of Olive Pinks lower room flat in Hobart. Once Dot Millers home, a girl with whom Olive went to school. Noting field of daisies around the fountain

Olive Pink

Port Arthur church and Penitentiary

Photograph of Port Arthur church and Penitentiary with view of Mt. Arthur in the distance. The photographers were Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Old Mill at New Town Creek

Photograph of Old Mill at New Town Creek showing creek, buildings and mill wheel. Mt Wellington in distance

James Backhouse Walker

Unidentified

Pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink at Callanna, South Australia, 20-21/7/30 - identified by Olive Pink as "plant about 2 to 3 inches high both at Beltana and Callanna"

Olive Pink

Senecio

Pencil and watercolur on card sketched by Olive Pink at The Finke, Northern Territory 31/8-4/9/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Camel Weed, Senecio. "near the Rock of Ages" "Scent like (garden) honeysuckle"

Olive Pink

Brachychiton ramiflora

Watercolour on paper sketched by Olive Pink, beyond terminus Birdum, Northern Territory 29/10/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Brachychiton ramiflora (Kurrajong)

Olive Pink

Petalostylis labicheoides

Coloured pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Near Granites, Northern Territory, no date. Identified by Olive Pink as Petalostylis labicheoides "Mulga Plain Country"

Olive Pink

Water flows down Gentle Annie Falls

Black-and-white photograph of Gentle Annie Falls, a man-made water channel constructed as part of the Hobart waterworks to supply fresh water to residents of Hobart, operating between the 1860s to 1940s.

Sullivans Cove

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Sullivan's Cove in about 1870 according to a note on the reverse. Taken from around Victoria Dock, Old St David's cathedral in background. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Hobart Regatta

Photograph of the Hobart Regatta taken in 1886. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart from 1886-1890 and George Street, Launceston from 1900-1913

Albert Sargeant

Derwentwater, Sandy Bay

Photograph of Derwentwater, Sandy Bay, Tasmania, home of Captain Langdon Swan, c.1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

James Backhouse Walker

Mount Wellington

Photograph of Mount Wellington with farm buildings in the foreground in the vicinity of the Cascades Brewery, Hobart, Tasmania.

Anson Brothers

Kangaroo Bay

Photograph of Kangaroo Bay (Bellerive) on Hobart's Eastern Shore from hill showing wharf and houses c. 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Photograph of the Oddfellows Hall

Photograph of Davey Street, Hobart, looking east, in about 1876. The photograph is taken from the intersection with Harrington Street and Oddfellows Hall is in the foreground. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918

Liverpool Street Hobart with horse drawn carriages

Photograph of Liverpool Street Hobart taken around the turn of the century showing horse drawn carriages in the foreground. The date is assumed from the presence of electric power poles which were introduced in 1898.

Elizabeth Street looking toward Memorial Congregational Church

Photograph of Elizabeth Street Hobart looking north in about 1879. Legrands old shop is on the right and the old post offfice and Ship hotel are also visible according to notes on the reverse of the photo. Also shown is the Tasmanian pale ales store and the All Nations hotelThe photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Old Government House

Lantern slide from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of old Government House, Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land 1847. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were in Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle Arcade, Hobart, until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Warra Warra

Coloured pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink at Horseshoe Bend, Central Australia 13/9/30. "and Rodinga" Identified by Olive Pink as Warra Warra (3ft high in places and many on one plant) 6-5-1a drawn on other side of paper

Olive Pink

Loranthus miguelii

Water colour and pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Jay Creek, Northern Territory 27/12/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Loranthus miguelii "veins in leaves lighter and more yellow than leaf - flowers bright red"

Olive Pink

Crotalaria cunninghamii.

Water colour on paper sketched by Olive Pink, (place and date unknown) Northern Territory. Identified by Olive Pink as Crotalaria cunninghamii

Olive Pink

Careya australis

Pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Darwin, Northern Territory, 1930. Identified by Olive Pink as Careya australis

Olive Pink

Brown paper cover

Brown paper cover which contained the calendar and card designs - written on by Olive Pink

Olive Pink

View of Clifton Priory and powerlines across front lawn

Colour photograph of Clifton Priory, Bothwell, showing powerlines across front lawn below hedge. National heritage register citation is as follows: “Two storey stone Tudor Gothic house built in 1847-8 by Rev. Robert Wilson from public subscription. Wilson caused a scandal when he ran into financial difficulties and sold it owing a considerable sum. The house is magnificently sited on Barrack Hill from where it enjoys fine views of Bothwell, the Clyde River and surrounding countryside.”

Convolvulus erubescen

Water colour and pencil on dark card sketched by Olive Pink, (no place or date) Northern Territory. Identified by Olive Pink as Convolvulus erubescen.

Olive Pink

Scavola

Coloured pencil on paper sketched by Olive Pink, Jila, Northern Territory, 24/9/34. Identified by Olive Pink as Scavola? "natural size, some 4 mostly 5 'fingers'", "flower whitish cream to buff"

Olive Pink

Pimelea microcephala

Watercolour and pencil on card sketched by Olive Pink at Rodinga, Northern Territory 19/9/30. Identified by Olive Pink as Pimelea microcephala

Olive Pink

Handwritten note

1 handwritten note on paper - A kind of wild Hybicus [Hybiscus] which they stupidly call the "Desert Rose". Hardly anything less like "a rose" I cannot imagine. The buds however do look a tiny bit like rose buds (if one has plenty of imagination!)

Olive Pink

Results 1 to 100 of 2108