Showing 113 results

Archival description
Item University of Tasmania -- History
Print preview View:

51 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

1947 Orientation Handbook

Pages from the Handbook that detail the site plan and floor plan of Domain House, University of Tasmania. As published in the 1947 University Orientation Handbook.

Tasmania University Union

1949 Orientation Handbook

Pages from the Handbook that detail the site plan and floor plan of Domain House, University of Tasmania. As published in the 1949 University Orientation Handbook. Key to buildings and rooms provided by Peter Freeman, Heritage Architect

Tasmania University Union

A School Geometry

Hall, H. S., & Stevens, F. H. (1930). A School Geometry. Parts IV., V. and VI. Macmillan & Co: London.

Ronald Turner Ralph

Alexander McAulay

Appointment Indenture for Alexander McAulay, dated 1892 - 1913. Lecturer in Mathematics (1892 & draft); Professor of Mathematics and Physics (1904, 3 copies); Professor of Mathematics (1913, 2 copies).

University of Tasmania

Annual Commemoration 1896

Photographic except taken from the Tasmanian Mail, 16 January 1897 showing graduating students : Mr W.A. Roberts (LLB), Mr W.J.T. Stops (LLB), Mr Herbert Nicholls (LLB), Mr J.H. Keating (LLB), Miss E.H Wilson, first lady graduate (BA) and Lieutenant -Colonel Cruickshank, Registrar

University of Tasmania

Annual Report of the High School of Hobart Town

High School of Hobart Town report on the 1859 annual examinations, with copies of examination papers, and list of council and masters. Drawing of building at front. Printed pamphlet J. Davies 'Mercury' office.

High School of Hobart Town

Australian Universities rifle match

Group photograph of Australian Universities rifle match, Hobart 1934. Tasmanian team and emergencies. Named : D.G. Rockliff, J.J. Graham, P.C. Tapping, T.L. Malone, H.M Nicholls, M.M. Bruce, D.J. Barclay, M.W. Woods (Captain), S.M. Seares, and J.A. Jillett

McDonell Watkyn Woods

College Prospectus and Library Catalogue

College Prospectus, printed by Elliston, Collins Street, Hobart Town and dated 1848. Includes note of nature and advantages of a college, steps taken by Bishop, subscribers, trustees, Hutchins & Launceston Church Grammar schools, scholarships, Franklin Museum; Also bound into this volume is the Catalogue of the Christ's College Library, in the Diocese of Tasmania parts one & two.
Pat one lists books by subject, part two list books by author.

University of Tasmania

Domain House Staff

Black and white, 35mm slide of teaching staff at Domain House, Hobart, Tasmania. Centre back Dugald Gordon McDougall, appointed as the Professor of Law and Modern History in the University of Tasmania and took up the appointment in the year 1901 (January); he held the post until June 1933 when, at an age of 65, he retired.

Group at the Springs

Group photograph of team members and others taken at the Springs, Mt. Wellington, Hobart during the 1934 Australian Universities Rifle Match

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Inter-varsity rifle match

Group photograph of Inter-varsity rifle match, Liverpool, New South Wales. Named and signed. P.C. Tapping, D.J. Barclay, D.E. Webster, M.W. Woods ( Vice Captain), D.G. Rockliff, B.B. Smith, J.A. Jillett (Captain) and S.M. Seares.

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Interview Mr Ralph Harry

Interview with Mr Ralph Harry, law student at UTAS. He graduated with first class honours in 1938. He was awarded a Rhodes scholarship and studied at Oxford. He was involed in Togatus and the Student Christian Movement. This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Ralph Lindsay Harry

Interview with Mrs Barbara Ostberg

Interview with Mrs Barbara Ostberg, science student, 1938-1941. This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Interview with Mrs Margaret Scott

Interview with Mrs Margaret Scott. This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Interview with Professor Colin Wendell Smith

Interview with Professor Colin Wendell Smith.This recording forms part of a collection of interviews with UTAS staff, former staff and alumni students. The interviews were conducted by Mrs Hilary Webster, John Roberts and others as part of the University of Tasmania Centenary Committee Oral History Project chaired by Prof. Michael Roe, School of History 1978 - 1983

Colin Wendell Smith

Letters Patent of the University of Tasmania

Parchment document bound with green ribbon and sealed with red wax. Letters Patent of King George V granting recognition throughout the Kingdom, empire and Dominions of degrees conferred by the University of Tasmania in Arts, Science, Law, Medicine, Music and all branches of knowledge except Theology

University of Tasmania

Library Staff 1956

One small black and white photograph of Library staff taken outside the entrance to Domain House, Christmas 1956.

University of Tasmania

Library workroom

One small black and white photograph of Library workroom at Domain House taken in November 1960. Staff identified as M. McClymont, Dr. Wojtowitz, Mr S. Flood

University of Tasmania

Library workroom

One small black and white photograph of Library workroom at Domain House taken in November 1960. Staff identified as J. Reynolds

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Loans desk

Photograph of the Librarian, D H Borchardt at Loans desk with Mrs Kemp 1960

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Fire place and mantel on rear wall.

University of Tasmania

Main reading area

Photograph of the main reading area of the Library, Domain, House . Taken in November 1960 showing students working at desks. Honour board on wall.

University of Tasmania

Photograph of Christ's College, (High School building) Domain

Sepia photograph of a group of boys and masters outside the college door, including small boys, some in sailor suits holding straw "boater" hats.
Photo by Wherrett & McGuffie, mounted.
Some names written on back, including Alic Cruickshank, Cyril James, A Murray, B. Hunt (master), Max Stephens, Reynolds, Gosnell (master), R. Stourton, Lilley.

Plastics

Yarsley, V.E & Couzens. (1941). E.G. Plastics. London: Penguin Books.

Ronald Turner Ralph

Professors and candidates for degrees 1923

Photographic except taken from the Illustrated Tasmanian Mail, 19 April, 1923 - Photographs of Professors and candidates for degrees 1923. Professor Williams, Professor McAulay, Professor Dunbabin, Professor McDougall, Professor Copland, Professor Flynn, Professor Burn. Students Mr. C. K. Wilkins, (B.A.), Miss Erica G. Headlam, (M.A.), Mr. W. Parker Listner, (M.A.) 1919, (LL.B) 1923, Mr. B. Telford, (LL.B.), Mr. G. L. Doyle, (LL.B.), Mr. H. Guy, (LL.B.) Miss A. M. Wherrett, (B.A.) Miss B. J. Miller, (B.A.)
Miss B. White-Parsons, (B.A.) Mr. H. G. Harris, (B.A.) Mr. D. G. Salier, (B.Sc) Mr, L. F. Briggs, (B.A.) Mr. M. E .W. Stump, (B.Sc.) Miss J. L. Hurst, (B.A), Mr. T. Hytten, (B.A.) Mr. Bryan W. S. Page, (B.Sc.)

University of Tasmania

Programmes and Menus

T.U.U. (mock) Commemoration programmes 1932,1933, and menus for Inter-varsity Athletics 1931, and dinner for A.V. Davern 1934 (Sydney Uni lecturer, married c1930, died 1954, information from grandson, M. Davern).

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Recipients of Degrees at Commemoration

Photographic except taken from the Illustrated Tasmanian Mail, 22 May, 1929 - Recipients of University of Tasmania Degrees at Commemoration, Mr A.K. Fulton (B.A), Mr T. Hytten (MA), Miss F. Stops (B.A), Mr D.S. Smith (B.E), Miss Y.I. Guilbert (B.A), Mr O.H. Biggs (B.Sc)

University of Tasmania

Registrar, James Henry Robert Cruickshank and his wife Mary

Black and white, 35mm slide of the University of Tasmania's Registrar, James Henry Robrert Cruickshank and his wife Mary.
Cruickshank was born on 24 May 1840 in Bombay, and he died on 26 January 1916 m Hobart. Cruickshank received his first commission in 1858, and served in the Bombay Presidency until he retired in 1885 when he immigrated to Tasmania, as one of the 'Non-Effective Officers . Cruickshank and his family arrived in Launceston on the Flinders on 15 May 1885.36 He was appointed Registrar of the University of Tasmania in succession to George Richardson on the 1 August 1892, and he held this post until his death on 26 January 1916. Cruickshank was given a land grant of 100 acres in the Parish of Wickham in the County of King Island on 13 June 1885 but he did not settle there. He had married Mary Emma Wright in 1865 in Bombay. Mary Emma was born on 24 May 1846 in Rochester Kent, and she died on 17 October 1940 at 'Burnside' Glenorchy Tasmania. The couple had nine children, the youngest of whom was Margaret Winifred Cruickshank. Margaret was born on 12 July 1888 in Hobart, and she died on 4 March 1980 in Hobart. She was married to Percy Hamilton Scott in 1922 in Hobart. Two years before her death Margaret was interviewed by John Roberts, as part of the University of Tasmania oral history recording program. Margaret told of her early life in the 1900s as the daughter of the Registrar of the new university. Her reminiscences are particularly valuable, as they provide a rare window into the early life of the university: interview available here https://sparc.utas.edu.au/index.php/interview-with-mrs-margaret-scott

Robert Leslie Dunbabin

Appointment Indenture for Robert Leslie Dunbabin, Indenture and amendments: Lecturer in English & Constitutional History, Latin
Greek (1904); English and Constitutional History, Latin & Greek and Mental & Moral Science (1906); History, Latin, Greek, Logic & Psychology (1907); Lecturer in Classics and English History (1913); Assistant Professor of Classics (1914); Professor of Classics (1917).

University of Tasmania

Sarah Dunbabin

Black and white 35mm slides of Sarah Dunbabin an early graduate of the University of Tasmania. B.A. March 1909 & M.A. April 1912. One of 11 chidren of Thomas Dunbabin, farmer, and his wife Sarah Ada, née Murdoch of Marchwiel, Bream Creek. Prior to entering university she won prizes for English, Latin, History & German and a scholarship to the University.

Schiller 150th Anniversary

Silver medal commemorating 150th Anniversary of the Death of Friedrich von Schiller 1955. Engraved by Alfons Feuerle. Minted in Stuttgart, Germany.
Obverse Lettering: BUNDESREPUBLIK DEUTSCHLAND 5 DEUTSCHE MARK F
Reverse Lettering: FRIEDRICH VON SCHILLER 9.V.1955 ZUM 150. TODES TAG
Edge Smooth with inscriptions. Lettering: SEID EINIG EINIG EINIG

Alfons Feuerle

Speech : Jane Franklin Hall

Copy of speech and programme for 'The dedication and opening of the Asten Wing of the Jane Franklin Hall' , 15 April 1967

Wilfred Asten

Staff of the Commerce Department

Black and white mounted photograph of University of Tasmania Commerce Department staff taken in 1938. Left to right: Miss Jeanette Audrey Cox (Clerk 1932-1939), Ken M Dallas, D. L Anderson and Professor F.R.E. Mauldron (front).

University of Tasmania

Staff with Japanese Visitor

Staff with Japanese visitor (front left) taken in front of the main entrance to Domain House, named around photograph N.E. Lewis, W.H. Williams, D.G. McDougall, Herman Ritz, H.C Kingsmill, James Cruickshank, R.L. Dunbabin, F.M. Johnstone, Loftus Hill, A. Beale, C. Dean, Mary Samplan

University of Tasmania

Students Representative Council photograph

Photograph of the University of Tasmania Students Representative Council 1933(?) taken on the steps of Domain House, Hobart.
Back: S. M. Seares, G.A. McKay, G.E. Hodgson, Brenda Oldmeadow, D.E. Webster, D. Hughes, N.E. Murray; Front: N. Welbrook, Judy Gould, E.R. (Dick) Clive, R. Fagan, A.W. Knight, Betty Erskine, R.D. Frood.

Tasmania University Union

Swastika

Handmade swastika cloth badge thought to belong with previous typewritten script involving prominent German figures including Hitler and Goebbels

Ronald Turner Ralph

Tasmania 150th Anniversary

Medal comemorating the Tasmania's 150th Anniversary 1952-4
Silver alloy, 69 mm diameter in plastic case.
Obverse description: Tasmanian Arms, 1803-05 at top, 1953-54 below. Legend round: Tasmania commemorates the 150th Anniversary
of British settlement.
Reverse description : outline map of Tasmania bearing British flag, in wavy sea. Legend round: University of Tasmania, Scientific and
Industrial Exhibition Jan. 1954.

Tasmanian University Graduates 1929

Photographic except taken from the Illustrated Tasmanian Mail, 22 May, 1929 - Tasmanian University Graduates . Miss M.L. Andrew (B.A.), Dr H.T. Postle (M.A., LL.D Melbourne) on whom was conferred the degree of LL.D (Tas) ad eundem, Mr G.L. Ife (LL.B), Mr M.F. Sorell (LL.B), Mr A. Smithies (LL.B) who was Rhodes Scholar for 1929, Mr E.H. Boyd (B.Sc), Mr F. Close (B.Sc), Mr E.C. Butler (LL.B), Mr D. Read (B.Sc), Mr J.R. Rex (LL.B)

University of Tasmania

Tasmanian University team

Group photograph of the Tasmanian University team winners of the Australian Universities Rifle match, Hobart 1934. Named : D.G. Rockliff, J.J. Graham, P.C. Tapping, T.L. Malone, H.M Nicholls, M.M. Bruce, D.J. Barclay, M.W. Woods (Captain), S.M. Seares, and J.A. Jillett

McDonell Watkyn Woods

Text book of Physiography

Handwriten loose leaf note book, entitled "Text book of Physiography " begun in June 1937. Based on lectures to Geology 1, University of Tasmania, 1928-30, with chapter headings with some detailed notes.

Arndell Neil Lewis

The founding of the University of Tasmania

Article copied from the Bulletin of the Tasmanian Institute for Educational Research, entitled
“The founding of the University of Tasmania”, an address given by the Chancellor of the University,
William Joshua Tilley Stops, Esq. LL.B. on the fiftieth anniversary of the first meeting of the University Council, on the 19 February 1940.

William Joshua Tilley Stops

The Royal Society of Tasmania Medal

Cast bronze medal produced by The Royal Society of Tasmania in 1988 to commemorate the Joseph Banks Memorial Lecture. It features a bust of Banks on one side, the H.M.S. 'Beagle' under sail, a banksia and a lizard on the other. It is number 43 of a limited edition of 150 designed by Tasmanian sculptor Stephen Walker.
Obverse: At centre within border of leaves and nuts, a bust of Banks facing 3/4 left; around, incuse, Sir Joseph Banks 1988 memorial lecture.
Reverse Description: At centre, within border of leaves, H.M.S. Beagle under sail away to right with flower behind and lizard below; around, incuse, THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF TASMANIA.

Stephen Walker

The University of Glasgow

Medal commemorating The University of Glasgow 1451 - 1951

Obverse description: Glasgow University arms, inscription above: UNIV. GLASG. MCCCCLI - MDCCCCLI
Reverse description: head of Pope crowned. Legend round: NICOLAUS PONT, MAX. UNIV. GLASG. CONDIT. A.D. VII 10 JAN. A.S. MCCCCLI

Results 1 to 100 of 113