Mostrar 184 resultados

Descrição arquivística
Sub-item
Previsualizar a impressão Ver:

140 resultados com objetos digitais Mostrar resultados com objetos digitais

Postcards

Three black and white postcards of Askrigg, Yorkshire, England (probably c1910-1920)

Pin holder

Cloth and cardboard pin holder in envelope with note "Made by Sarah Benson Walker"

Affectionate remembrance of Sarah Benson Mather

Mourning card and printed texts for Sarah Benson Mather, second daughter of R. Andrew and Ann Mather, who died in Hobart Town, on the 12th of 3rd month ,1875 aged 28 years and 10 months. Sarah Benson Mather passed away in the early morning, just as the cocks began to crow. The text which heads these verses was deeply impressed on the minds around her.

Miscellaneous items

Miscellaneous items including
• freehand sketches of Sansom and John Bradford,
• photograph of Sansom on board ship,
• Christmas card from 'Mother',
• invitation from St John's Infant School to attend the crowning of the May Queen,
• photograph of a building named 'Green Gates',
• printed Christmas card from the Sansoms that contains Sansom' s poem 'Carol of Three'.

Clive Sansom

Woodbrooke

Correspondence and information about WOODBROOKE, a 'missionary' college or 'settlement ... designed primarily to give members of the Society of Friends an opportunity of preparing for the variety of service required in the cause of Christ today': letter from the Warden, Henry T. Cadbury, with an application form (l 8/3/40); Sansom's reply (19/3/40); copy of the Prospectus, syllabus and timetable from the Secretary, D. Best, (20/3/40 and 6/4/40).

Clive Sansom

Photographs: Ruth Sansom

Sixteen photographs taken at times between 1934 and the 1970s. One is of Ruth at Sandy Bay presumably before leaving for England. Later photographs show Ruth on her honeymoon, horse riding (presumably in England) and, later still, at Eaglehawk Neck and Orford. There are several passport photographs and one studio portrait taken in England in 1945.

Clive Sansom

Photographs: Sansoms with other people

Seven photographs show either one or both of the Sansoms with Walter Stiasny and his wife, with members of the London verse speaking choir at a choir reunion in London in 1961 and with other groups of unidentified people.

Clive Sansom

"Dargavel", Renfrew, Scotland

Photograph of the Kerr's house, "Dargavel", Renfrew, Scotland 1890.
Carte de visite -enclosed in letter Mary Ann Walker to EA Walker dated 9 July 1890

Photograph of Ireland's Collegiate School

Photograph of Davey Street, Hobart, looking west, in about 1870, showing Ireland's Collegiate School for boys and the Congregational Church in the foreground. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

All Saints Church Macquarie Street

Photograph of All Saints Church, Macquarie Street, Hobart c. 1880 by Anson Brothers, Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Macquarie Street, Hobart from Mercury Office

Photograph of north Macquarie Street from the Mercury office (with verandah) corner Macquarie and Argyle Street. Showing the Hobart Town Hall, Franklin Square and the Treasury buildings. Photographed byy Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets. Taken before September 25 1866, as this is the date of the grand opening of the Town Hall, shown on the left-hand side of the photograph

Anson Brothers

Waterloo House

Photograph of Waterloo House on the corner of Murray and Davey Streets, Hobart, Tasmania in 1880. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Webb's Hotel

Photograph of Webb's Hotel, later Hadley's, Murray Street, Hobart, in about 1877. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Launceston from beyond Cataract Bridge

Photograph of Launceston, Tasmania, from beyond the Cataract Bridge in about 1881. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart, from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

On the banks of the Tamar River

Photograph of a family on the banks of the Tamar River, Launceston. The photographer was William Cawston who had studios in Paterson and St. John Streets, Launceston from 1863-1891.

William Cawston

River Tamar from Cataract Hill

Photograph of the River Tamar in Launceston from Cataract Hill. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Wood's huts

Photograph of Wood's huts at the Springs, Mount Wellington, in 1870 with old couple and younger gentleman and boy sitting outside. On the reverse of the photo post card 'Do you remember them. Huts and old Mr. and Mrs. Wood'.

New Norfolk

Photograph of New Norfolk, Tasmania from the opposite side of the river. Showing the town and bridge.

Henry Hall Baily

Mt. Gould & Du Cane Range

Photograph of Mt. Gould and the DuCane Range from Narcissus Valley, Lake St. Clair taken from camp on the left hand side of Narcissus Valley going up (according to notes on the reverse of the photograph).

Port Arthur from behind the church and doctor's house

Photograph of the settlement of Port Arthur from behind the church and Doctor's house c. 1880. View of vegetable gardens in foreground. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Henry Hall Baily

Government House from the Domain

Vignette photograph of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania taken from the Domain in about 1880. Showing gentleman in a bowler hat sitting on mound.

View from the roof of Government House

Photograph of ships on the Derwent River taken from the roof of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania in 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Government House from the Queen's Domain

Photograph of Government House, Hobart taken from the Queen's Domain, c. 1890s. A note on the reverse says 'after railway'. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

View from Government House

Photograph of view from Government House looking over a vegetable garden and orchard which could either be in the Government House or Botanical Gardens grounds with the River Derwent and Mt. Direction in the background.

Cascades' Female Factory from the hill

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory looking down the South Hobart Valley toward the Derwent River. Showing yards and gardens. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Cascades' Female Factory from the rear

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory from the rear showing yards with washing and horse. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Campbell & Minchin

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, corner Elizabeth and Bathurst street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Notes relating to economic background in U.K.

Notes compiled by A.L. Meston, mainly relating to the economic background in U.K. which affected foundation of Van Diemens Land Company

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Newspaper and journal clippings

Newspaper and journal clippings include
• photograph of J.R.O. Bartram,
• photograph of the comedians 'Ada and Elsie',
• 'For Sale' notice and photograph of the house at 31 Gordon Avenue, Lenah Valley, which the Sansoms subsequently bought,
• report on Sansom's publication Choric Drama,
• article from Speech News announcing the resignation of Clive and Ruth Sansom and paying tribute to their work for the Speech Institute (January 1951),
• item from the Surrey News about the crowning of the May Queen ceremony (undated).

Clive Sansom

Travel to Tasmania

Documents relating to the Sansoms' travel to Tasmania on the Orion in 1950 including their formal application for a passage on the ship and medical testimonials supporting this.

Clive Sansom

Conscription Committee

Circular letter from David Jenkin of the London Friends Local
Conscription Committee offering advice and assistance to prospective conscientious objectors (30/4/40). Sansom's letter to Edgar Dunstan about a draft statement to the War Tribunal. Letters from Edgar Dunstan (8/6/40 and 12/6/40) suggesting appropriate work both the Sansoms could offer to undertake in lieu of active service. Sansom's letter of26/6/40 proposing to establish a house and property in Kent as a centre for conscientious objectors. A further letter to Capper Johnson containing a similar proposal applying to Bunce Court, Otterden (1/7/40) and Johnson's reply (17/7/40).

Clive Sansom

Spiceland Training Centre

Letters and documents about Spiceland Training Centre. Circulars outlining the purpose of the Centre. Sansom' s application to undertake a training course at the Centre. Two letters from the Centre's Warden and typed extracts from 'The Fifty-Fifth Column' the Centre's newsletter compiled by the residents (including Sansom). Further letters from Sansom to the Labour Exchange, Chipping Norton, to 'Peter' describing Spicelands Centre building and the daily routines, and to Mr Foulis about LAMDA matters. Two letters from Jonathon Field to Sansom about plans to jointly operate a market garden at 'Tinker's Orchard'.

Clive Sansom

Photographs: Miscellaneous & postcards

• A studio portrait of an unknown lady - an old photograph probably of a forebear.
• Two photographs of unidentified individuals, one annotated 'Tiesie Austria'.
• Postcard of Reigate Wray Common Windmill.
• Postcard of Eiger, Monch, Jungfrau.
• Pictorial folding letter card of scenes from Reigate.
• Two postcards of Reigate.
• Seven postcards of Winchmore Hill.
• Photograph of the cover designed for the Argo recording of ‘The Witnesses’.
• Envelope containing negatives of photographs.

Clive Sansom

St. John's Church Goulburn Street

Photograph of St. John's Church Goulburn Street, Hobart taken c1880 the photographers were Anson brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891

Anson Brothers

Wilmot Terrace

Photograph of Wilmot Terrace, Harrington Street (Sandy Bay Road) showing grandmother Mathers house, the furthest in the terrace.

Alfred Winter

Old St. David's Cathedral

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking east towards Elizabeth Street from the Civil Court in about 1880. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1880.

Alfred Winter

Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south in about 1870. The Bank of Australasia and Macquarie House are two of the buildings featured. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets between 1865 and 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Commercial Bank

Photograph of Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street c. 1870. Some of Franklin Square on left Commercial Bank on right. The photographers were Anson Brothers whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Commercial Bank

Photograph of the Commercial Bank, Macquarie Street, Hobart looking south from the corner of Elizabeth Street in c1877 after old St. Davids Cathedral was pulled down. The photograph is attributed to Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Tasmanian Temperance Alliance

Photograph of the first Tasmanian Temperance Alliance building, Macquarie Street Hobart

Henry Hall Baily

Buildings on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets

Photograph of buildings on corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets, Hobart c. 1877. Photographed by Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers

Photograph of the Emporium of Perkins and Nephew Wholesale & Retail Drapers and Grocers established in 1826, situated on the corner of Watchorn and Liverpool Street Hobart, taken in 1881. The photographers were Anson Brothers Portrait and Landscape Photographers Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Murray Street with horse drawn carriages

Photograph of Murray Street, Hobart in 1881 with a row of horse drawn carriages outside the Hobart Savings Bank, Masonic Temple and the Derwent and Tamar Buildings with Webb's hotel (later Hadley's Orient Hotel) in the distance.

Webb's Hotel from front

Photograph of Webb's Hotel, later Hadley's, Murray Street, Hobart, Tasmania, in about 1880. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Ship Inn

Photograph of the Ship Inn on the corner of Elizabeth and Collins Streets, Hobart in about 1881. The photographer is Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Cataract Bridge and Launceston

Photograph of Launceston, Tasmania from beyond the Cataract Bridge. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Public Buildings Launceston

Photograph of the Public Buildings in Launceston, Tasmania. The Criterion Hotel is in the background. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Hobart, between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Mount Wellington

Photograph of Mount Wellington from hillside. The photographers were Anson Brothers who had studios in Liverpool, Collins, and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Rocks on Mount Wellington

Photograph rocks on Mount Wellington. The photographer was Albert Sargeant who had studios in Macquarie Street, Hobart and George Street, Launceston between 1886 and 1913.

Albert Sargeant

Derwent River above New Norfolk

Photograph of the Derwent River above New Norfolk, Tasmania, 1882. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

New Norfolk

Photograph of New Norfolk, Tasmania, c. 1880 from the opposite side of the River Derwent. The photographer was Alfred Winter who had studios in Bathurst, Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets from 1869 until 1891.

Alfred Winter

Maatsuyker Lighthouse

Photograph of the lighthouse on Maatsuyker Island, Tasmania, taken on the day of the opening of the lighthouse in 1891

Commandant's house and jetties at Port Arthur

Photograph of the commandant's house and jetties, Port Arthur c. 1880. The photographers are Anson Brothers., Portrait and Landscape Photographers, Hobart Town whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Port Arthur

Thought to be a photograph of dwellings at Port Arthur

Waterfall Bay to Cape Huay

Panorama from Waterfall Bay to Cape Huay on the Tasman Peninsula. The photographer is John Watt Beattie.

John Watt Beattie

Government House from the shipyards

Photograph of Government House, Hobart, Tasmania in about 1870. Showing the shipyard in the foreground and Mount Direction behind.. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Government House from the bay

Photograph of Government House Hobart taken from the bay below the Queen's Domain, c.1890s. The photographer was Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets, Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Sullivans Cove and Hunter Island

Photograph of Sullivans Cove and Hunter Island taken from the eastern end of Salamanca with garden in the foreground and two ships alongside the wharf. c.1880

Hobart waterfront

View of Hobart waterfront c.1880 showing docks, carts, ships at anchor and woodyard

Sullivans Cove, taken from HMS Nelson

Photograph of a ship with Sullivans Cove and Mount Wellington in the background taken from HMS Nelson in 1882. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Franklin Square

Photograph of Franklin Square Hobart was taken by the Anson Brothers photographers, whose firm was located in Liverpool, Collins and Elizabeth Streets between 1878 and 1891.

Anson Brothers

Plan of early Hobart Town

Lantern slide of Campbell and Minchin building, Elizabeth street, Hobart. Prepared by J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studio locations were Elizabeth Street, Hobart from 1891-1920, Murray Street from 1921-40 and Cat and Fiddle until 1994.

John Watt Beattie

Draft and typescript

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M11-2-1
  • Sub-item
  • c1958
  • Parte de Meston Papers

Draft and typescript of chapters 1-5, 7, conclusion and also introduction by K.M. Dallas of "The history of the V.D.L. Co."

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Copies of dispatches

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M11-2-2
  • Sub-item
  • c1958
  • Parte de Meston Papers

Copies of dispatches etc. of the V.D.L. Co.

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Diaries of Jorgen Jorgensen

  • AU TAS UTAS SPARC M11-3-2
  • Sub-item
  • 1826-1827
  • Parte de Meston Papers

Copies of diaries of Jorgen Jorgensen, including Journey to Ouse Plateau, Repat of Jorgensen to V.D.L. Co. on route between Hobart and Circular Head, and Journal kept while exploring from Circular Head to the Pieman River, 1826-7.

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Cradle Mountain by R.E. Smith

Manuscript of "Cradle Mountain" by R.E. Smith, with notes on wild life and climate by Gustav Weindorfer. dated 7 August
1937.

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Cradle Mountain miscellaneous papers

Miscellaneous papers re Cradle Mountain comprising correspondence regarding Franz Malcher, translation from Malcher's account of his trip to Tasmania, March 1914, notes on wild animals by G. Weindorfer and copy of his birth certificate, and copy of "Trip to the Summit of Cradle Mountain" by W.O. Weston, published in Examiner, Feb-March 1891 and miscellaneous notes.

Archibald Lawrence Meston

Cascades' Female Factory

Photograph of the Cascades' Female Factory looking toward Mt Wellington with the Cascade Brewery in the distance. In 1828 a Female Factory opened on the outskirts of Hobart at Cascades. It became the colony's largest Factory, expanding by 1853 into five major courtyards accommodating 1000 women and 175 children. The photographer was J.W. Beattie (1859-1930) whose studios were in Elizabeth and Murray Streets between 1891 and 1940

John Watt Beattie

Franklin Square and Hobart waterfront

Photograph from the collection of James Backhouse Walker of Franklin Square and the Hobart waterfront taken in about 1870 possibly from St. David's Cathedral according to a note on the reverse. The photographer is Henry Hall Baily who had studios in Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Hobart from 1865 until 1918.

Henry Hall Baily

Letters to Clive Sansom

Letters to Clive Sansom from The London Speech Fellowship, Leslie Daiker, Joan Bennett, Madame Helen George, Marjorie Gullan, Margaret Willey, Geoffrey Clarke, Aunt Bee, Dorothy Ackman, Len Sansom, Gladys Sansom, Kathleen Needham-Hurst, Arthur Fayne, Hermann Pleschmann, Constance Rennie, D.H. Tribolet, Allan Keeling, Margaret Arnott, Edward Milligan, Martin Davies, Herbert Howells, Richard Graves, Arthur Thompson, and Uncle Harry. There are also two letters from the publishers A.C. Black, one from the editor of John O 'London's Weekly, and one from Dr R. Vaughan Hudson who treated Clive Sansom during his illness in 1948. There are several letters are from unidentified writers.

Clive Sansom

Copies of letters from Clive Sansom

Copies of letters from Clive Sansom to:
• A.G. Prys-Jones of Aberystwyth Press (3/9/49)
• The News Chronicle about speech education (27/9/48) and supporting the building of a replica of the Globe Theatre (25/1/49)
• The Spectator about poetry (2/9/49)
• The Times Literary Supplement about the Arts Council's support for poetry (22/1/49), choral speaking (26/3/29), Gerard Manly Hopkins (20/5/49), and the broadcasting of poetry (1/12/50)
• The Observer about the publishing of poetry (7 /8/4?)
• John O' London's Weekly about the use of the word 'pretty' (21/1/49)
• The Listener about Eliot's Murder in the Cathedral (31/3/49)
• The Friend about the concept of vocation in work (28/5/48) and the meaning of Divine Guidance (22/10/48)
• The Sunday Times about book publishing (7/11/48)
• Muriel Spark about adjudicating and an article on T.S. Eliot (21/2/48)
• Mr Foules about a verse-speaking syllabus (5/3/49)
• Ruth Sansom on personal matters (at least five letters undated and apparently written before the Sansoms married)
• To unidentified correspondents about changing patterns in pronunciation, Quakerism, and Murder in the Cathedral (all undated)

Clive Sansom

Resultados 1 a 100 de 184